[comp.sys.mac] I've seen and touched it!

t-jacobs@wasatch.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) (03/08/89)

I was privileged to be invited to the local Apple offices to see the "Apple TV"
presentation of their new products. Quite a show!

After playing a 3-4 minute commercial playing a real catchy tune, Mr. Gassee
walks out with a tote bag over a shoulder (the size of a portable computer) and
says he's here to introduce some new products! He puts the bag down and opens
it up and pulls out a video card! (laughs follow) Then he follows with a 160
meg hard disk. Then he proceeds to the meat of the show...

He pulls out an empty cpu box and says heres the IIcx box....then pulls out a
mother board, describes some of the features of it and plops the board in....
then pulls out a fan/power supply (only he calls the fan something like a wind
generating device -- real quiet) plugs it in, he does have a little trouble
plugging in the connector to the mother board....plugs in the speaker (now
bigger and front and center in the box)...plugs in the hard disk/floppy disk
unit...slips in a video board and finally slaps the top on (much easier that
the Mac II) and then proceeds to plug in cables,keyboard,mouse,and monitor...
hits the on switch and twing. It runs.

They really took some risks here and with other live hardware demos, but they
pulled it all off.

They showed the speed difference between a regular SE and the IIcx with a
HyperCard demo, an Excel demo, and a 882 demo drawing (sombrero).

Then Mr Skully came out and hyped the whole Mac product line. He said something
to the effect that the IIcx is the most significant product that Apple has
ever put out and that future system software would help bring that out. Those
aren't his exact words mind you, but they were pretty strong.

They showed a video of people using Macs, some of them doing some fairly
impressive stuf.

Later Larry Tessler came out and talked about how a lot of the Mac products
have fulfilled many of his dreams and how some of those products evolved.

AFTER the "Apple TV" broadcast...

At the local Apple office they unvailed the IIcx, Portrait, & Two-Page
monitors.  Both the monitors have just as crisp and focused (in the corners)
a picture as the Plus/SE. Packaging like the other Mac II monitors. One nice
feature of the Portrait model is that it has an ADB port on it so keyboard &
mouse can be plugged into it while the CPU box is somewhere else.

The IIcx (drum roll) is 5.5" tall, 11.9" wide, and 14.4" deep. The styling
close to the II only no verticle lines on front or sides. The horizontal line
across the floppy drive port is similar to the SE/30 (extends from side to
side). The top pops off without taking out any screws, just lift up on two
tabs in the back.  The box itself is a composite so that the plastic skin is
molded right onto the metal sheilding (for RF noise protection). The NuBus
slots are on the far left of the box, the power supply/fan in the right rear,
with the disk drive module (both floppy & hard mounted together) just in fron
of that. The memory simm slots are dead center in the front just behind the
speaker module. The speaker is a larger & oval shapped.

As small as this box is there is a big gap inbetween where the NuBus cards go
and all the other stuf. About 3" wide from front to back less the speaker
space.  There is also a ROM simm slot just to the rear of the memory. It was
empty (Gassee pointed to another part of the mother board where there was ROM).

The box can be stood on end (the rubber feet on the bottom can be moved) or
there is a bracket that allows you to mount it under a desk or shelf.

The fan is really quiet. I put my ear right next to it and the noise of the
air hitting me was as noisy as the motor noise!

This unit has an external floppy disk drive port since you can only put one
floppy drive inside. The insides can only hold a 3.5" hard disk too.

The mother board didn't seem very dense. There appeared to be a lot of custom
VLSI chips stamped "Apple".

This machine has another new feature, it has an auto-restart in the event of
a power outage.

I have to eat a few words that I posted last week, I said I thought that the
Mac IIcx would sell a lot better that Apple expected.  After seeing their
"Apple TV" production I think perhaps they do expect the IIcx to sell as well
as I think it will.  John Skully seemed to really believe this machine was
going to be HOT. Much of the video material used in the production looks like
it could be used for TV commercials and it wouldn't supprise me if they do.

p.s. I put in my order for IIcx this morning....buying Apple stock tomorrow!

--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (03/13/89)

In article <1253@wasatch.UUCP>, t-jacobs@wasatch.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) writes:
> I was privileged to be invited to the local Apple offices to see the "Apple TV"
> presentation of their new products. Quite a show!
>
> p.s. I put in my order for IIcx this morning....buying Apple stock tomorrow!
>
> --
> Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

I got to see a IIcx this morning - and WOW!!!  The system is nicely laid-out,
and the contents of the box are very neat.  The sound is better (bigger
speaker than the II), the reset/interrupt buttons are at the front (although
the hardware buttons themselves are about 2 inches set back inside the case!)
so they are at last easy to get at.  The power on/off button locks so that
it will re-start if it is powered off ( they say in their blurb that this
will be of great use if people use it for unattended file-servers).  I'm
not sure that I can afford one (seeing the prices that they're intending
to charge for it here I _know_ I can't afford one) but it sure was nice!
I think I better start saving up for my SE/30 upgrade instead!

Computer Science Dept.,   *        ** Note New Address & UserName **        *
Liverpool University,     * JANET : PHIL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.MVA                   *
Merseyside, England,      * ARPA  : PHIL%mva.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu   *
L69  3BX                  *                                                 *
                          * old address SQPHIL@UK.AC.LIV.CSVAX may work     *