[comp.sys.mac] Torx Driver for the SE

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (03/08/89)

Does anyone know of a computer store, hobby shop or mail-order house
that sells the Torx-15 driver required to open the SE?  I've check the
hardware stores but, I can't find one 10" long.

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
hollander@ti.com

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.

swerling@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ace Swerling) (03/08/89)

In article <71689@ti-csl.csc.ti.com> holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) writes:

>Does anyone know of a computer store, hobby shop or mail-order house
>that sells the Torx-15 driver required to open the SE?  I've check the
>hardware stores but, I can't find one 10" long.
>
>Fred Hollander
>hollander@ti.com

I bought a tool kit through MacConnection that I think was a Dove product that
they made so people could install memory upgrades themselves.  It came with a
grounding strap, case opener, and a Torx screwdriver.  It cost me $15 plus
shipping.  The only problem is that it took about 2 months to get it because
Dove couldn't get the screwdrivers either.  Anyway, I eventually got it and it
works fine.

-Ace

lippin@skippy.berkeley.edu (The Apathist) (03/09/89)

Recently holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) wrote:

>Does anyone know of a computer store, hobby shop or mail-order house
>that sells the Torx-15 driver required to open the SE?  I've check the
>hardware stores but, I can't find one 10" long.

You can buy one in pieces:  get a screwdriver set with a torx head and
an extension bar.  Most hardware stores should have these.  And you'll
be able to take out the extension for the screws that aren't at the
center of the earth.

					--Tom Lippincott
					  lippin@math.berkeley.edu

	"This view derives partly from what is known as common sense,
	 whose virtue, uniquely among virtues, is that everyone has it."
					--Tom Stoppard, _Jumpers_

gjditchfield@watmsg.waterloo.edu (Glen Ditchfield) (03/09/89)

After two afternoons of searching, I bought a Torx driver with an ordinary-
length handle, and whittled it down with my trusty swiss army knife.  It
worked well enough.

stores@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (03/10/89)

In article <71689@ti-csl.csc.ti.com> holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) writes:

>Does anyone know of a computer store, hobby shop or mail-order house
>that sells the Torx-15 driver required to open the SE?  I've check the
>hardware stores but, I can't find one 10" long.

When I upgraded  my 128K mac to 512k,  went to a hardware store
and bought a long T-handle allen wrench 3/32". It cost about
$1.24. Its works great and the price is right

Matt Mora
SRI International
Stores@SRI.COM

cgw@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (C. Gray Watson) (03/10/89)

In art <71689@ti-csl.csc.ti.com> holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) writes:
>Does anyone know of a computer store, hobby shop or mail-order house
>that sells the Torx-15 driver required to open the SE?  I've check the
>hardware stores but, I can't find one 10" long.

I got my 14" Torx-15 driver from Snap-On tools.  It's stamped with SSTX1015
which is probably tool number.  I believe it was $7.95 or so.

gray
Computer Addresses:		   |		Virtual Address:
gray@med.pittsburgh.edu		   |		Office of Biomedical Infomatics
cgw@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu	   |		217 Victoria Hall
gray@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu	   |		Pittsburgh, PA 15261

fischer@arisia.Xerox.COM (Ronald A. Fischer) (03/11/89)

Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've disassembled three Macs to
install memory upgrades and a large screen monitor.  In all cases (har)
I opened them by carefully using a flatblade screwdriver on the points of
the torx screw (for the deep set ones), or a regular allen wrench.

Warning: be careful of stripping the screws if you do this.

Peeling apart the case is somewhat more problemmatic as you must apply
generous amounts of presure with your fingernails and avoid popping it
open and spilling the guts.  Use as many fingers as possible to distribute
the pressure.

(ron)

martyl@bucket.UUCP (Marty Lee) (03/14/89)

In article <28422@sri-unix.SRI.COM>, stores@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) writes:
> In article <71689@ti-csl.csc.ti.com> holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) writes:
> >
> >Does anyone know of a computer store, hobby shop or mail-order house
> >that sells the Torx-15 driver required to open the SE?  I've check the
> >hardware stores but, I can't find one 10" long.

I got mine at the local NAPA auto parts store.  It was 12 or 15 inches though..
never had a problem with the deep inset screws of the newer mac SEs.

Marty Lee
              teksce           (Fastest path)
tektronix!reed!  omen   !bucket!martyl  (Marty Lee)
               percival