[comp.sys.mac] Another Insane Idea for ya Apple

t-jacobs@wasatch.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) (03/08/89)

I understand Apple recently scraped work on a low cost Mac in order to start
from scratch and do it right. Mr. Skully made mention (in IIcx announcement)
that it should be available in '90 (or was it early '91?).

Idea - Make a very cheap motherboard that fits the IIcx box. Using the new
1-bit video board and the 12" monichrome monitor (perhaps you could make a
really cheap non-greyscale 12") then the price could be reasonable.
Then when some one wants to upgrade to a more powerful machine they don't have
to scrap what they have, they simply do a motherboard upgrade ( and maybe a
power supply upgrade too, that iffy). One big problem that I see with the
Mac product line is that there is NO UPGRADE PATH from the low cost machine to
the expandable one.  I believe the size and footprint of the IIcx to be ideal
and that a very big reason people buy Plus's & SE's is the foot print. Now with
almost the same size footprint and many options for monitors etc, it would
provide LOTS OF UPGRADE PATHS. (I hope these BOLD subliminal hints work!)

If you say "but then it's not transportal", then make the non-greyscale 12"
monitor that I just mentioned so it has a handle on the top and so it attaches
to the IIcx box! Or (heavens forbid) make a smaller monichrome monitor (please,
at the very least 10"!!!).--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

dodgson@cs.wmich.edu (Harry Dodgson) (03/14/89)

In article <1254@wasatch.UUCP>, t-jacobs@wasatch.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) writes:

> Idea - Make a very cheap motherboard that fits the IIcx box. Using the new
> 1-bit video board and the 12" monichrome monitor (perhaps you could make a
> really cheap non-greyscale 12") then the price could be reasonable.

	And how about a grey-scale monitor in the SE case?  Or perhaps
someone could make a replacement video board that uses the existing tube?
It would be nice for us types who like to retouch images, but can't bear
to cart around both a monitor and CPU box with us.  I believe that a
gray card addition to the SE/030 that plugs into its monitor would sell.
At least I would buy one (after I upgrade my SE).
--
Harry Dodgson Jr.               Internet:  dodgson@cs.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University