[comp.sys.mac] VIREX University Site License Plan

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (03/09/89)

The following is an announcement of a special, low cost site license plan
for the VIREX anti-viral program.   For more information on VIREX and the
University Site Licensing Plan, contact HJC Software at 919-490-1277.

If you feel that this plan would be useful to your University, please
forward this message as needed.  Corporations with large Macintosh
installations can also obtain site licenses that substantially reduce
the cost of VIREX.

Virex University Site Licensing Plan  -- March 8, 1989

HJC Software offers a University site licensing plan for Virex anti-virus
software.  The purpose of this plan is to offer affordable protection
against Macintosh computer viruses to Universities with large Macintosh
installations, and to provide for ongoing protection with an economical
update service.

The University plan substantially parallels to HJC Software's regular Site
Licensing program, at a fraction of the cost.

The following is a summary of the University site licensing plan:

* The purchase price of the University Site License is $5000.  Under the plan
  the Software may be used throughout a designated campus on University owned
  Macintosh computers.  The software may also be used by students and faculty
  who sign and end-user license agreement administered by a designated Campus
  Coordinator.

* HJC will deliver two master Virex diskettes along with two Virex User's
  Guides via regular first class mail to a designated Campus Coordinator.  The
  designated Campus Coordinator is responsible for duplicating the Software
  and Documentation, and distributing them for use throughout the campus.

* Under the plan, HJC will provide free updates for a period of one year from
  the date of the License Agreement.  For each update, HJC will deliver two
  master disks along with documentation, via regular first class mail.  Updates
  are made available if, as and when they are issued by HJC.

* HJC will offer a subscription service as part of the University plan to
  provide updates after the initial one year period.  The fee for this service
  is $2000 per year.  If, as and when updates are issued, HJC will deliver two
  master disks, via regular first class mail, to the designated Campus
  Coordinator.

Each University site license is limited to use of the Software at a single
University Campus.

Disclaimer:  I am the author of VIREX.

| Robert J Woodhead      !uunet!cornell!biar!trebor     CompuServe 72447,37 |
| Biar Games, Inc., 10 Spruce Lane, Ithaca NY 14850  607-257-1708,3864(fax) |
| Games written, Viruses killed   "I'm the head honcho of this here spread; |
| While U Wait.  Take a number.    I don't need no stinking disclaimers!!!" |

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (03/10/89)

In article <200@biar.UUCP> trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
> The following is an announcement of a special, low cost site license plan
> for the VIREX anti-viral program.   For more information on VIREX and the
> University Site Licensing Plan, contact HJC Software at 919-490-1277.

[Reams of stuff about $5000/yr 1 + $2000/subsequent years software deleted]

> | Robert J Woodhead      !uunet!cornell!biar!trebor     CompuServe 72447,37 |
> | Games written, Viruses killed   "I'm the head honcho of this here spread; |
> | While U Wait.  Take a number.    I don't need no stinking disclaimers!!!" |

Given the recent flame-war about whether people should or should not be
posting "mac for sale" advertisements here, I'm surprised anyone had the
audacity to post an advertisement for their own commercial software
package.

Please, don't post this sort of trash.  Comp.sys.mac has enough volume
already. If you mean USENET, then you are distinctly NOT the "head
honch of this here spread."

--
+-------------------+-jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu / !rutgers!bpa!swatsun!jackiw-+
|  nicholas jackiw  | jackiw%campus.swarthmore.edu@swarthmr.bitnet           |

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (03/11/89)

In article <2533@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu> jackiw@ilium.UUCP (Nick Jackiw) writes:
>Given the recent flame-war about whether people should or should not be
>posting "mac for sale" advertisements here, I'm surprised anyone had the
>audacity to post an advertisement for their own commercial software
>package.

Well, excuuuse me.  Let me clue you in as to the background to the above
posting.  About a month ago (before I got my feed, btw), there were several
flames posted on the net about the site license fees for Virex and how
outrageous they were.  They were forwarded to me over another network for
my comments.

I gave it some careful thought and said I would talk to the publisher, HJC,
and see what could be done.  I may be the author of the program, but I don't
have control over the marketing; that is, quite properly, HJC's job.  I
talked to Bob Capon of HJC about the flames, and over a period of about 3
weeks managed to convince him that offering a special deal to universities
would be a good idea.  What I posted was a verbatim copy of the HJC press
release about the offering.

Since it was comments in comp.sys.mac that lead to this policy change, it
seemed likely that c.s.m would be the place where notice of the offer would
reach the very people who would be most interested in it.  It was _only_
because of the prior history of the issue that I posted; I wouldn't have
posted a "Wizardry MCXXIV now available for Mac" message, for example.

So before I was getting flamed (in absentia) for HJC's site license
policies (which were appropriate for corporations but not for more diffuse
communities like universities), and now I'm getting flamed for 1) getting
the universities a good deal and 2) letting them know.  Sigh.

Would it have made you feel better if I had mailed the press release to
some friends and had them post a note about it?

>Please, don't post this sort of trash.  Comp.sys.mac has enough volume
>already. If you mean USENET, then you are distinctly NOT the "head
>honch of this here spread."

I hardly think you are so dense as to truly believe that my signature quote
refers to the net as a whole.  I haven't been that egotistical since I
allegedly graduated, oh those many moons ago.
--
* Robert J Woodhead * The true meaning of life is cunningly encrypted and *
* uunet!biar!trebor * hidden somewhere in this signature...               *

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (03/15/89)

In article <2533@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu> jackiw@ilium.UUCP (Nick Jackiw) writes:
>In article <200@biar.UUCP> trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
>> The following is an announcement of a special, low cost site license plan
>> for the VIREX anti-viral program.   For more information on VIREX and the
>> University Site Licensing Plan, contact HJC Software at 919-490-1277.
>
>[Reams of stuff about $5000/yr 1 + $2000/subsequent years software deleted]
>
>Given the recent flame-war about whether people should or should not be
>posting "mac for sale" advertisements here, I'm surprised anyone had the
>audacity to post an advertisement for their own commercial software
>package.
>
>Please, don't post this sort of trash.  Comp.sys.mac has enough volume
>already. If you mean USENET, then you are distinctly NOT the "head
>honch of this here spread."

Excuse me, but I really think that Woodhead deserves better treatment
than that.  I considered the tone of his article as informative,
not trying to make himself richer.  Seriously, if he were only in
it for the money, would he have made one of the most commonly-used
virus-checking programs and only asked for a donation to the
Vision-Fund if it helped you out?

Please, don't post this sort of trash flaming people.  Comp.sys.mac
has enough volume already.

Ken

inews eat this
inews eat this
inews eat this
inews eat this
inews eat this

Ken Hancock  '90                   | BITNET/UUCP/
Personal Computing Ctr Consultant  |   INTERNET:  isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
DISCLAIMER?  I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.