[comp.sys.mac] McSink - nothing for a speedy typist!

d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) (03/09/89)

I just got McSink V6.5 from the net and it looks good. I have found a few
things, though, that makes me hesitate to pay the shareware fee or even to
buy the full-featured commercial version.

A minor cosmetical bug: When I choose the Sort command and the window is
positioned so the status display overlays the window menu bar, the highlight
of the Format menu (the one with Sort in it) is incorrectly restored - i.e.
a black frame remains around the word "Format". True, I could live with this,
but here is something more serious.

The text editor (in other aspects fine; can handle large [>32K] files) is
IMMENSLY slow. When I have typed a few words, I have to sit back and wait
for the characters to laboriously make their way to the screen. OK, it might
be my system configuration, although I don't think so (System 6.0.2, no INITs
except Suitcase II). If this were to be fixed, I might consider buying a
legitimate version, but not now.

+-------------------------+--------------------------------+------------------+
|   Sven Axelsson         |  d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se  |  DISCLAIMER:     |
|   dep:t of Linguistics  |          (^^ best ^^)          |                  |
|   univ. of Gothenburg   |        dlv_sa@hum.gu.se        |  This is not     |
|   SWEDEN                |      usdsa@seguc21.bitnet      |  a disclaimer.   |
+-------------------------+--------------------------------+------------------+

newman@ut-emx.UUCP (Dave Newman) (03/10/89)

re: McSink speed

I have no problem with McSink speed-wise.  Vantage, however
violates some programming rules and has trouble with several
of my applications.  I still use it though, because it is a
great tool - for what it does - and the problems never crash
the system, they are just minor inconveniences.

>>Dave

I'm nobody; just a (relatively) satisfied customer.

macak@lakesys.UUCP (James Macak) (03/10/89)

In article <601@tekno.chalmers.se> d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) writes:
>I just got McSink V6.5 from the net and it looks good. I have found a few
>things, though, that makes me hesitate to pay the shareware fee or even to
>buy the full-featured commercial version.

(Several lines deleted.)

>The text editor (in other aspects fine; can handle large [>32K] files) is
>IMMENSLY slow. When I have typed a few words, I have to sit back and wait
>for the characters to laboriously make their way to the screen. OK, it might
>be my system configuration, although I don't think so (System 6.0.2, no INITs
>except Suitcase II). If this were to be fixed, I might consider buying a
>legitimate version, but not now.

I had been a McSink user for some time until a upgraded to Vantage, its
commercial counterpart.  I am _extermely_ satisfied with the latter, finding
the Vantage DA invaluable for editing messages and binhexed up/downloads for
telecommunications.

I had never noted the slow screen updating in versions of McSink that I had
used in the past.  However I installed (via Suitcase II) McSink 6.5 and indeed
experienced the same problem as noted above.  (I am running Sys. 6.0.2 with
several INITs on a 1 Meg Mac Plus.)  Also, I have a friend who has noted the
same problem on his Mac II.

Immediately after closing McSink, I opened Vantage and, as usual, noticed _no_
delay in screen updating when typing.  I tried typing "garbage" by willy-nilly
hitting as many keys as quickly as I possibly could and even then Vantage was
just a character or two behind me.

Thus I think the problem noted in the original article is limited to McSink
(and very possibly to only this latest version of McSink).  I can
unequivocally state that the slow updating does not occur using Vantage on my
Mac.

Please note that I am merely a satisfied customer of the Vantage suppliers,
and have no other relation with them.

Jim

--

Jim Macak  <lakesys!macak@csd1.milw.wisc.edu>

jness@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Joel Ness) (03/10/89)

I also have found McSink 6.5 to be chock-full of nice features, but very
slow to handle typed-in text. I need this kind of DA for my work (and
have sent in my share-ware fee). Is there a work-around; a solution; a
possible upgrade or bug-fix?

stevenf@wpi.wpi.edu (Steven Fernandez) (03/11/89)

In article <601@tekno.chalmers.se> d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) writes:
>The text editor (in other aspects fine; can handle large [>32K] files) is
>IMMENSLY slow. When I have typed a few words, I have to sit back and wait
>for the characters to laboriously make their way to the screen. OK, it might
>be my system configuration, although I don't think so (System 6.0.2, no INITs
>except Suitcase II). If this were to be fixed, I might consider buying a
>legitimate version, but not now.

	I have this same problem with version 6.5 on my SE. I wrote
the author a note on Genie and have not gotten a reply yet. I agree,
If it werent for this slowness I would send in the money for the
commercial version.

					Steve

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (03/11/89)

In article <601@tekno.chalmers.se> d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) writes:
>I just got McSink V6.5 from the net and it looks good. I have found a few
>things, though, that makes me hesitate to pay the shareware fee or even to
>buy the full-featured commercial version.
>
>The text editor (in other aspects fine; can handle large [>32K] files) is
>IMMENSLY slow. When I have typed a few words, I have to sit back and wait

 Me too, me too... I'm running 6.0.3 on a 2 MB Plus, and the delay between
characters typed and characters displayed is GLACIAL. A thought that
occurred to me is that in deliberately crippling the product for the
shareware market, the "dynamic spell checking" feature somehow was frozen
in the "on" position, and each char typed must get "processed" first. The
previous version (6.2a) had perfectly normal typing response, so I suspect
it's probably just an oversight. Considering this version was accompanied
by an increase in the shareware fee, though, it doesn't look too good.

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    felix!dhw68k!thecloud@ics.uci.edu

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (03/12/89)

In article <601@tekno.chalmers.se> d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) writes:
>The text editor (in other aspects fine; can handle large [>32K] files) is
>IMMENSLY slow. When I have typed a few words, I have to sit back and wait
>for the characters to laboriously make their way to the screen. OK, it might
>be my system configuration, although I don't think so (System 6.0.2, no INITs
>except Suitcase II). If this were to be fixed, I might consider buying a
>legitimate version, but not now.

I've noticed the same thing.  The previous version was OK, but 6.5 is
quite slow.  However, I've only noticed this problem when running under
UniFinder; under Multifinder, it's not nearly as annoying (it's still
none too speedy, though).

I, too, am waiting for an update.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

ir10@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU (Donald R. Fredkin) (03/13/89)

I have been using McSink 6.5 for a few weeks and I have had no speed
troubles as long as I use it in the DA partition under multifinder. On the
rare occasions that I have used it in an application's own partition (by
holding down the option key when selecting McSink), it has indeed been
glacially slow.
--

UUCP		{ihnp4,decvax!ucbvax,dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd.edu!drfredkin
Internet	drfredkin@ucsd.edu or drf%sdph2@ucsd.edu

stevenf@wpi.wpi.edu (Steven Fernandez) (03/13/89)

In article <813@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> jness@ub.d.umn.edu.UUCP (Joel Ness) writes:
>I also have found McSink 6.5 to be chock-full of nice features, but very
>slow to handle typed-in text. I need this kind of DA for my work (and
>have sent in my share-ware fee). Is there a work-around; a solution; a
>possible upgrade or bug-fix?

        The work around that I thought of was to go back
to version 6.2 which works quite well. Send me mail and I
will send it to you if you wish. If I can figure out how
to post at summex, I'll do that too.

                        Steve
--
!============================================================================!
! Steven Fernandez              | Genie: s.fernandez                         !

maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) (03/15/89)

From article <601@tekno.chalmers.se>, by d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson):
> I just got McSink V6.5 from the net and it looks good. I have found a few
> The text editor (in other aspects fine; can handle large [>32K] files) is
> IMMENSLY slow. When I have typed a few words, I have to sit back and wait

McSink is absolutely the fastest software on my Mac for text processing.
Nothing even comes remotely close.  Must be your config, eh?
WALT

--
CSNet   : maner@research1.bgsu.edu             | 419/372-8719
InterNet: maner@research1.bgsu.edu (129.1.1.2) | BGSU CS Dept