[comp.sys.mac] 4mb DRam

koehn@cat24.CS.WISC.EDU (Bradley Koehn) (03/12/89)

Does anybody out there know if the new 4mb RAM SIMMS can be used in a mac plus?
I'd sure like to have 16 meg in my machine...
Either thator I'll buy a IIcx (yeah,right!).

Brad Koehn
UW-Madison
"Fly like an Emu!"

RatRunner@cup.portal.com (Geoff RatRunner Crooks) (03/14/89)

In the article by koehn@cat24.CS.WISC.EDU (Bradley Koehn) >
> are the new 4mb ram simms useable in a Mac Plus?
No, nor are they useable in a MacSE, and I don't belive they will work
with a regular MacII - they will work, however, in the SE30 and IIcx..
I'm not sure about the IIx.  Hope that helps.
Geoff.

lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (03/15/89)

In article <15805@cup.portal.com> RatRunner@cup.portal.com (Geoff RatRunner Crooks) writes:
>In the article by koehn@cat24.CS.WISC.EDU (Bradley Koehn) >
>> are the new 4mb ram simms useable in a Mac Plus?
>No, nor are they useable in a MacSE, and I don't belive they will work
>with a regular MacII - they will work, however, in the SE30 and IIcx..
>I'm not sure about the IIx.  Hope that helps.
>Geoff.

The mutant 4 Meg SIMMs will work in a IIx, but probably not in the
other two (SEx and IIcx) due to size limitations.  By mutant, I mean
"piggyback" or whatnot.  The "normal" 4 Meg SIMMS ought to work in
all three.  This was discussed over the net a little while back.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

sarrel@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) (03/15/89)

In article <21623@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) writes:

   The mutant 4 Meg SIMMs will work in a IIx, but probably not in the
   other two (SEx and IIcx) due to size limitations.  By mutant, I mean
   "piggyback" or whatnot.  The "normal" 4 Meg SIMMS ought to work in
   all three.  This was discussed over the net a little while back.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seems to remember that the maximum
amount of RAM that can be used in a Plus or SE is 4Meg, regardless of
the chip density.  The ROM addresses start at 4Meg, consequently, you
cant put any RAM there.  I don't know if the denser chips would work
or not, but in any case you cant have more than 4Meg.

--marc