[comp.sys.mac] Shouldn't StuffIt implement atob/btoa?

d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) (03/09/89)

Consider this as an open letter to Raymond Lau and all StuffIt users:

This truly marvellous program is now the de-facto standard for file compaction
and use in file transfer for the Macintosh. It among other things implements
the BinHex4 protocol for transferring a binary file into ascii characters.
As you all know, this is the way all the good stuff in the comp.binaries.mac
archieve is stored. As mr. Lau says in the StuffIt manual, this format
is somewhat wasteful in the way it maps binary bytes to ascii characters.
The Unix programs atob and btoa can do this more efficiently.

Well, mr. Lau, why not go all the way and implementing the atob/btoa protocol
in the next release of StuffIt? I, for one wouldn't mind getting my telephone
bill cut by having less data to transfer through the modem.

What do you think out there? Should we shift the standard? This would also
have the added benefit of allowing us to pick up the (admittedly few) packed
files from the Unix archieves.

+-------------------------+--------------------------------+------------------+
|   Sven Axelsson         |  d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se  |  DISCLAIMER:     |
|   dep:t of Linguistics  |          (^^ best ^^)          |                  |
|   univ. of Gothenburg   |        dlv_sa@hum.gu.se        |  This is not     |
|   SWEDEN                |      usdsa@seguc21.bitnet      |  a disclaimer.   |
+-------------------------+--------------------------------+------------------+

swerling@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ace Swerling) (03/10/89)

In article <604@tekno.chalmers.se> d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) writes:
>Well, mr. Lau, why not go all the way and implementing the atob/btoa protocol
>in the next release of StuffIt? I, for one wouldn't mind getting my telephone
>bill cut by having less data to transfer through the modem.

Hear, hear!  I think that BinHex exacts too much of a cost in size for what it
does, especially when there's another alternative out there that can
significantly cut data size.

-Ace

This is only my opinion.

dce@stan.UUCP (David Elliott) (03/10/89)

In article <604@tekno.chalmers.se> d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) writes:
>Consider this as an open letter to Raymond Lau and all StuffIt users:

The documentation for StuffIt actually asks that the standard be changed,
and I agree.

Two things:

	1. Could someone send me some info on what the atob/btoa data
	   format looks like?

	2. Ray (if you are listening), when you do add this feature,
	   it would sure be nice to have it (as well as the BinHex
	   and PackIt interfaces) allow selection of multiple files
	   at once.  It's a real pain unbinhexing 221 Technical
	   Notes files one at a time.

--
David Elliott		...!pyramid!boulder!stan!dce
"Splish splash, I was rakin' in the cash"  -- Eno

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (03/10/89)

In article <570@salgado.stan.UUCP> dce@salgado.UUCP (David Elliott) writes:
>[...] It's a real pain unbinhexing 221 Technical
>	   Notes files one at a time. [...]

I agree.  However, I find its always easier and faster to do the binhex
decoding on the UNIX side.  Use xbin to decode the binhex to the three files
that macput/macget use (filename.data, filename.rsrc, filename.info).
Then use macbin to combine these three files into one in MacBinary format
(filename.bin).  This resulting file can be transferred by many
communication programs that support MacBinary.  (I use MicroPhone II.)
The file you download is much smaller than the binhex you would have
downloaded.  The power of the UNIX shell also lets you do stuff like
xbin *.hqx which certainly beats doing them one at a time on the Mac side.

I'm not against atob/btoa - I think it's a good idea too.  I just thought
I'd let you know there's a better way than decoding on the Mac side when
you have a UNIX system.  Source for xbin and macbin is at most ftp sites
with Mac archives.  Hope this makes your life easier.

+++

Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 146 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

templon@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) (03/10/89)

	Count my vote as yes.  I didn't know about this unix utility,
but I have thought of the irony of stuffing a program, only to bloat
it by binhexing.

				jt

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (03/14/89)

In article <570@salgado.stan.UUCP> dce@salgado.UUCP (David Elliott) writes:
>	   at once.  It's a real pain unbinhexing 221 Technical
>	   Notes files one at a time. [with StuffIt]

Here, here!  Computers are supposed to help you AVOID doing repetitive
chores, not CREATE them.  C'mon, Ray, give us a multiple select (or better
yet, a wildcard)!  :-)
.

--
v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 201-1D Hampton Lee Court
 v v s   s || jnh@ece-csc.ncsu.edu (Internet)  || Cary, NC  27511

dce@stan.UUCP (David Elliott) (03/14/89)

In article <3948@ece-csc.UUCP> jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) writes:
>In article <570@salgado.stan.UUCP> dce@salgado.UUCP (David Elliott) writes:
>>	   at once.  It's a real pain unbinhexing 221 Technical
>>	   Notes files one at a time. [with StuffIt]
>
>Here, here!  Computers are supposed to help you AVOID doing repetitive
>chores, not CREATE them.  C'mon, Ray, give us a multiple select (or better
>yet, a wildcard)!  :-)

I would very much like to point out that StuffIt does allow multiple
"unstuffs".  You select the documents in the finder and double-click on
them with the SHIFT key down, and StuffIt unpacks them all.

Also, to the person that suggested getting the programs to unbinhex
files on Unix, thanks.  I finished unpacking the Tech Notes this
weekend, and had a major disk problem yesterday, and was not looking
forward to unpacking them again.  Now, with xbin and macbin from the
sumex archives, I should be able to get them back onto my system very
quickly (after which I will back them up!)

--

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (03/14/89)

In article <3948@ece-csc.UUCP> jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) writes:
>In article <570@salgado.stan.UUCP> dce@salgado.UUCP (David Elliott) writes:
>>	   at once.  It's a real pain unbinhexing 221 Technical
>>	   Notes files one at a time. [with StuffIt]
>
>Here, here!  Computers are supposed to help you AVOID doing repetitive
>chores, not CREATE them.  C'mon, Ray, give us a multiple select (or better
>yet, a wildcard)!  :-)

A "quiet mode", a la MacCompress would also be nice.  Much of the
overhead involved in unstuffing files (especially small ones) seems
to come from constantly updating all the windows.  Unless an error
is detected, I'm quite happy to have Stuffit go about its business
without all the fireworks.

(This is not to detract in any way from Stuffit in its current
incarnation -- it's truly a fine and useful program).

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (03/15/89)

In article <3406@silver.bacs.indiana.edu> templon@silver.UUCP (jeffrey templon) writes:

>	Count my vote as yes.  I didn't know about this unix utility,
>but I have thought of the irony of stuffing a program, only to bloat
>it by binhexing.

Boy!  Look at all these requests for StuffIt modifications!  I hope
all these avid users have at least sent in their shareware fees
before asking for more...

Ken

DISCLAIMER:  Me? I'm just a satisfied StuffIt user.

Ken Hancock  '90                   | BITNET/UUCP/
Personal Computing Ctr Consultant  |   INTERNET:  isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER?  I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.

templon@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) (03/15/89)

re: satisfied stuffit user:  yes, and a PAYING satisfied stuffit user at that.
i also paid for Medit even though the printing sometimes breaks.  feels
kinda nice.  i highly recommend it (paying shareware fees.)

					jt

ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) (03/15/89)

One good reason for not using atob and btoa - not all systems which people
want to download/upload .hqx archives on are Unix machines. Case in point -
we have a multics system here which barfs if fed either ofg the characters
@ or #.

What I would like to see instead is a stuffit option which says
make and archive AND binhex encode it, all in one go, and vice versa,
to save on interaction time with stuffit.
--
Dr Ralph Martin
Department of Computing Mathematics

roger@homxc.ATT.COM (Another Technical Editor) (03/15/89)

In article <1073@esquire.UUCP>, sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:
< In article <3948@ece-csc.UUCP> jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) writes:
< >In article <570@salgado.stan.UUCP> dce@salgado.UUCP (David Elliott) writes:
< >>	   at once.  It's a real pain unbinhexing 221 Technical
< >>	   Notes files one at a time. [with StuffIt]
< >
<
< A "quiet mode", a la MacCompress would also be nice.  Much of the
< overhead involved in unstuffing files (especially small ones) seems
< to come from constantly updating all the windows.  Unless an error
< is detected, I'm quite happy to have Stuffit go about its business
< without all the fireworks.

Add my vote. Stuffit does its job wonderfully, but it
really hurts to have to spend 45 minutes at the Mac
doing repetitive mousing and waiting, mousing and waiting.
(I download a lot of stuff at once.)
Don't people buy computers to avoid this sort of drudgery?

I'd be happy to see a built-in procedure that:
  - Unhexes everything in the folder that can be unhexed.
  - UnPacks everything in the folder that can be unpacked.
  - UnStuffs everything in the folder that can be unstuffed.
  - Extracts everything from each archive that can be, etc.
  - Doesn't bother telling me the Lempel-Ziv algorithm
    was used. (Like I care.)
  - Lets me know when it's done.

Roger Tait                             ..att!homxc!roger
AT&T Bell Labs Technical Publications        Holmdel, NJ
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Technical Writers."

macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) (03/16/89)

>>	   at once.  It's a real pain unbinhexing 221 Technical
>>	   Notes files one at a time. [with StuffIt]
>
>Here, here!  Computers are supposed to help you AVOID doing repetitive
>chores, not CREATE them.  C'mon, Ray, give us a multiple select (or better
>yet, a wildcard)!  :-)

How about implementing it as a MPW tool? You could give him the file
names as parameters (with wildcards, hint, hint) and commands qualifiers
for the options (binhex, stuff, destuff, encrypt, etc). And even better,
you could run it within a script, automatically, and have the script
perform other nice things (like distributing it into the right folders,
cleaning up all unused files, etc). This is just the thing we're looking
for, for our on-site PD servers.

-- Danny Schwendener
   ETH Macintosh Support