[comp.sys.mac] Hard Disk

michele@mtuxo.att.com (XMRG3-M.CLAYBURG) (11/17/88)

I seem to have a problem with my Mac SE.  This morning when the Mac
was turned on, the Hard Disk was not recognized.  I can boot from
the floppy, but the hard disk does not come up as an icon.  The red
light keeps flashing as if the system is looking for something, but
I don't get any response.

My first question is.....what can I do to get my hard disk back?

Second question....if someone from the local computer hospital comes
out to fix this disk, what can I/they do to recover the files on the
disk before it is reformatted?  Is there some kind of program that
allows this or am I out of luck?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Michele Clayburg
201-576-6185

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (11/18/88)

In article <3404@mtuxo.att.com> michele@mtuxo.att.com (XMRG3-M.CLAYBURG) writes:
>I seem to have a problem with my Mac SE.  This morning when the Mac
>was turned on, the Hard Disk was not recognized.  I can boot from
>the floppy, but the hard disk does not come up as an icon.  The red
>light keeps flashing as if the system is looking for something, but
>I don't get any response.
>
>My first question is.....what can I do to get my hard disk back?

Try clearing parameter RAM. Boot from the floppy, then hold down
Command-Option-Shift while opening the control panel. Hold down these 3
shift keys until a dialog box appears asking if you really want to clear
PRAM. Click yes.

That usually brings the hard disk back after you restart. Then backup
your files immediately. I've had a LOT of experience doing this for the
last two weeks on several machines, System 5 and 6. In my case, it was
a symptom of worse things to follow, so don't neglect that backup just
because everything seems to be back to normal.

Shirley Kehr

xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) (11/20/88)

In article <70523@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP wrote:
>In article <3404@mtuxo.att.com> michele@mtuxo.att.com (XMRG3-M.CLAYBURG) writes:
>>I seem to have a problem with my Mac SE.  This morning when the Mac
>>was turned on, the Hard Disk was not recognized.  I can boot from
>>the floppy, but the hard disk does not come up as an icon.  The red
>>light keeps flashing as if the system is looking for something, but
>>I don't get any response.
>>
>>My first question is.....what can I do to get my hard disk back?
>
>Try clearing parameter RAM. Boot from the floppy, then hold down
>Command-Option-Shift while opening the control panel. Hold down these 3
>shift keys until a dialog box appears asking if you really want to clear
>PRAM. Click yes.
>
>That usually brings the hard disk back after you restart. Then backup
>your files immediately. I've had a LOT of experience doing this for the
>last two weeks on several machines, System 5 and 6. In my case, it was
>a symptom of worse things to follow, so don't neglect that backup just
>because everything seems to be back to normal.
>
>Shirley Kehr

Once, I had my harddisk crashed TERRIBLLY. I used DiskExpress and saved my data
This happened when I used installer to install System 6.0 onto my harddisk
with System 5.0.  After "successful installation", I quit and can't goto finder
the error was:"Can not find finder".  I tried everything possible, like
       o   using Disk First Aid
       o   Re-installing the driver of my harddrive (not re-initialize)
       o   Write Boot Blocks
When I boot from a floppy, it says hardDisk is damaged, asking me to initialize.
Well, I thought I tried everything.  Then I used DiskExpress.  In DiskExpress
the HardDisk icon came up, and I quit from it, the finder found my HD
and then I use option-double-click finder to switch the system in my HD.
Then I back-up everything... reinitialize...restore...everything goes back to
normal... boy was that a pain !

Well, the bottem line is: if you have DiskExpress,it can be an alternative that
you may never think of.  Under circumstances where Disk First Aid says your
HD is unreadble.. DiskExpress may get it back!

"VOX CLAMANTIS IN DESERTO" -- ahh, who else do I speak for!
Xiaoxia  Ye               Internet/Bitnet    xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Dartmouth College                    UUCP:   Xiaoxia.Ye@dartmouth.edu

dach_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Daniel Chan) (03/16/89)

I am looking for a RELIABLE hard disk (>= 40MB, hopefully fast,
reasonable price) for a Mac Plus.  Can anyone recommend one ?

Also is it worth to invest further onto a Mac Plus or I should be
looking for a Mac SE ?

Thanks in advance.  Any comment would be appreciated.

-dan.