[comp.sys.mac] Don't toss those SIMMs

dfazio@gonzo.ETA.COM (Dennis Fazio) (03/07/89)

I have seen several inquiries in this group for Computer Care's Softstep
products. Mr. John DePew of Computer Care paid a visit to our local
Macintosh user group to show his wares. At the risk of sounding like a
commercial pitch, here is a summary of the info on their products.

Computer Care, Inc. is located here in Minneapolis at:
5124 Russell Ave
South Minneapolis, MN 55410

Their phone is (800) 950-CARE  [ (800) 950-2273 ]
In Minnesota, call (612) 920-2273

They are a $1 million company that produce and sell memory enhancement
products for all Macintoshes. At present, they have 5 major products for
expanding your memory by making use of the memory SIMMs you already have.
Prices are current as of March 1, 1989:

Softstep I:  is a 2 meg upgrade for the Mac Plus/SE. It is a 256K SIMM
with a socket that accepts the factory installed 256K SIMMs. No
modifications are required and the SOFTSTEP I is completely transferable
from the Plus to the SE. The computer recognizes the full 2 megabyte
upgrade providing an excellent alternative to using 1 meg SIMMs.
Cost:  $425 / 4 module set.

SOFTSTEP II:  is an upgrade for the Mac II/IIx. It uses the existing SIMMs
to give you up to 8 megabytes of memory without  replacing your 256K SIMMs.
SOFTSTEP II packs 3/4 meg plus control circuitry on to each module. The
256K SIMMs are connected to the SOFTSTEP II to complete a 1 meg SIMM. The
speed remains at 120 ns.
Cost:  $950 / 4 module set.

(This was a very popular product last summer and fall during the height of
the memory shortage. Even at its now reduced price, it has become less cost
effective)

SOFTSTEP III:  is a module with no onboard memory for the Mac II or IIx.
The user attaches 4 256K SIMMs (120 ns) to each module to build 1 meg SIMMs
for the Mac II or IIx. Each module has 4 SIMM sockets and control circuitry
to complete the upgrade. The module, with the SIMMs installed, is inserted
into the SIMM sockets on the motherboard as usual.
Cost:  $60 / module;  $195 / 4 modules.

(This provides a nice upgrade for Mac IIs that are full of 256K SIMMs.
With 2 modules, you can stuff your 2 megabytes into 2 SIMM slots, and add 2
more 1M SIMMs for a total of 4 megabytes. You cannot have a full height
internal disk installed with these - only half height. When Apple updates
the System software to recognize > 8 megabytes, I believe that you will be
able to use this to build a 4 megabyte SIMM out of 4 1M SIMMs to enable
creation of a 16 or 32 megabyte system.)

SOFTSTEP IV:  is a module with no onboard memory for the Mac Plus. The user
supplies 4 additional 256K SIMMs with the SOFTSTEP IV to build a 2 megabyte
upgrade for the Plus. Cost:  $169 / 4 module set.

SOFTSTEP V:  is a module eith no onboard memory for the Mac SE.  The user
supplies 4 additional 256K SIMMs with the SOFTSTEP V to build a 2 megabyte
upgrade for the SE. Cost:  $169 / 4 module set.

They say there is no excessive heat or power consumption with any of these
upgrades and speed is not sacrificed. They also have standard 1 meg SIMMs
available at $265 for DIP and $285 for low profile. Warranty on all
products is 1 year unconditional.

At present, they say they are the only company doing this kind of thing.
They are considering additional products such as a low cost SCSI module to
create a RAM disk, print buffer modules, or RAM spooler modules.

That's the basic scoop. This information was copied from a product brochure,
so if you have any additional questions, contact Computer Care.
No matter what your system, including older 512K,
512KE, systems with accelerator boards, etc., give them a call and
describe your circumstances to see if you can  make a cost effective
upgrade. There's a home yet for that orphan memory!
Dennis Fazio                  Footnet:  ETA Systems Inc.  ETC03D
Internet:  dfazio@eta.com               1450 Energy Park Dr.
Gabnet:    (612) 642-3578               St. Paul, MN  55108

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (03/07/89)

In article <1198@nic.MR.NET> dfazio@gonzo.UUCP (Dennis Fazio) writes:
>[...]  At the risk of sounding like a
>commercial pitch, here is a summary of the info on their products.
>[...]
>Prices are current as of March 1, 1989:
>[...]

To provide some balance, here is my humble opinion:
While these upgrades are a great idea, they are not as cost effective as
they seem.  I looked at these a couple months ago and decided not to buy them.

Plus/SE upgrades:
1. You're limited to 2Mb, if you want more, you throw away your investment.
2. If you might buy a new machine, note that you can't transfer them to a
	Mac II and Softstep IV & V don't interchange between Plus & SE.  If this
	is a problem, you throw away your investment.
3. The cost of Softstep I is quoted as $425 to give you 2Mb.  At current
	prices, $400 will get you 2 1Mb SIMMS and give you 2.5Mb.

II/IIx upgrades:
1. The cost of Softstep II is quoted as $950 to give 4Mb.  At current prices,
	$800 will get you 4 1Mb SIMMS for 4Mb.

Most likely Softstep will drop its prices to come in line with current
prices but I think it's likely that SIMM prices will continue to fall in the
next months.  As long as you get SIMMS that are 120ns or better, you'll
have no problem moving them among machines if you have to.

The only upgrade I see as being really useful is III if you're lucky enough
to have tons of 256K SIMMS lying around and you don't have space problems.

Just adding my opinion for buyers considering these upgrades.

+++

Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 146 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

jamesm@sco.COM (ScoMole #192-1232A) (03/16/89)

In article <1198@nic.MR.NET> dfazio@gonzo.UUCP (Dennis Fazio) writes:
>Softstep I:  is a 2 meg upgrade for the Mac Plus/SE. It is a 256K SIMM
>with a socket that accepts the factory installed 256K SIMMs. No
>modifications are required and the SOFTSTEP I is completely transferable
>from the Plus to the SE. The computer recognizes the full 2 megabyte
>upgrade providing an excellent alternative to using 1 meg SIMMs.
>Cost:  $425 / 4 module set.

Of what possible use is this?  Street prices for real one meg simms to
go from 1 meg to 2.5 meg are slightly lower than this, and the Dove
upgrade price 1->2 megs is even lower than the simms.  I just don't
understand what they're trying to do with this product...

--
** James Moore **
** Internet:  jamesm@sco.com **