[comp.sys.mac] The PMMU on the Mac II

mark@sleepy.cs.unm.edu (Mark McLaughlin) (03/02/89)

I have a Macintosh II and in anticipation of running A/UX need to obtain
the 68851 Paged Memory Management Unit (PMMU).  I have a few questions,
however, which I was hoping somebody out there might be able to answer.
First, what comes with Apple's product #M0221 68851 PMMU, i.e., if I
bought the chip through Apple what do I get--just the chip itself?
Second, what is the exact chip number?  There are several versions of
the MC68851 running at different speeds.  I think it might be MC68851RC-16A.
If someone out there has a Mac II with this chip perhaps they could look
at it and get the precise number.  And finally how do I install the chip,
i.e., where exactly does it go?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark A. McLaughlin
Applied Computing Systems, Inc.
(505) 662-3309
mark@sleepy.cs.unm.edu

malczews@castor.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) (03/03/89)

In article <2295@unmvax.unm.edu> mark@sleepy.cs.unm.edu () writes:
>I have a Macintosh II and in anticipation of running A/UX need to obtain
>the 68851 Paged Memory Management Unit (PMMU).  I have a few questions,
>however, which I was hoping somebody out there might be able to answer.
>First, what comes with Apple's product #M0221 68851 PMMU, i.e., if I
>bought the chip through Apple what do I get--just the chip itself?
>Second, what is the exact chip number?  There are several versions of
>the MC68851 running at different speeds.  I think it might be MC68851RC-16A.
>If someone out there has a Mac II with this chip perhaps they could look
>at it and get the precise number.  And finally how do I install the chip,
>i.e., where exactly does it go?

Actually, I was about to post a similar query concerning the PMMU, and
would like to see the replies to the above; additionally I would like to know
(since I won't be using AUX) if using the PMMU now (in anticipation of 7.0)
with the current 6.0 system will result in ANY compatibility problems (of, say,
the nature of those seen with some of the 68030 models) with currently released
software, especially software development software.

  -- Frank Malczewski        (malczews@castor.usc.edu)

steveg@tove.umd.edu (Steve Green) (03/04/89)

 The pmmu from apple is just the 68851rc16.  The 16 is the speed (mhz).  The
pmmu replaces the BIG BLACK CHIP.  That is, the only big black chip in a socket.
There is no compatability problems as the mac os ignors it completely. (for now)
Warning: The pmmu's pin 1 is not in the same orientation as the pin 1 of the
cpu, look carefully when installing this at the markings on the board and the
notch on the socket for the pin 1 position.

malczews@castor.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) (03/05/89)

As a followup to my own followup, I further would like to know if the PMMU
will be the only hardware that will need to be replaced when the 32-bit Mac
O.S. (version 7??) becomes available.  I am asking this as I have the original
set of ROMs for Nubus access, and know that these may have to be replaced at
some point in time; will there be a need to replace the 256K Roms, or something
similar. (I just have a plain old Mac II, if you hadn't guessed).

  -- Frank Malczewski        (malczews@castor.usc.edu)

goldfarb@hcx9.UCF.EDU (03/07/89)

Let's get back (sorta) to the original issue.  What is a fair price
for a 68851 and from whence does one obtain one?

Apple charges over $400, even with an academic discount.  The chip
supply houses (retail discount ones) I have talked with don't stock
them.  Seems like Motorola is selling them all to OEM's.  Am I really
stuck with the inflated Apple price?

Ben Goldfarb
Department of Computer Science
University of Central Florida
uucp: {peora,decvax,uflorida}!ucf-cs!goldfarb
Internet: goldfarb@hcx9.ucf.edu

carter@PORTIA.STANFORD.EDU (Thomas J. Carter) (03/08/89)

I recently got Virtual (which I love) and put in the 68851, but now
I'm wondering what to do with the old chip.  Can it be sold and used
elsewhere?  Thanks in advance.

Tom Carter
Stanford University
carter@portia.stanford.edu (bitnet)
"I tawt I taw a puddy tat!"

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (03/10/89)

In article <2600010@hcx9> goldfarb@hcx9.UCF.EDU writes:

>Let's get back (sorta) to the original issue.  What is a fair price
>for a 68851 and from whence does one obtain one?

Yow.  I thought this would be an easy question.  I called Time
Electronics and asked for the part (mc68851rc16).  After a few minutes,
the salesman came back with "We have no stock; and no pricing either.
I'd have to call Motorola to find out what a minimum buy would be."

(No sweat, I'd had Time let me down before.)

So, I called Hamilton/Avnet.  They once *had* a kit - MC68020KIT, with
an '020, '881, and '851 in it, plus some rams, A/Ds, and lots of
documentation - including user manuals for all three chips.  Well, they
too didn't have the part, and would have to call Motorola.  So, I asked
about the kit.

I mean they had the kit a year ago - I bought one then for $330.  The
salesman said they had no stock on the kit either, and didn't know if it
would be available again.

I don't buy from anyone else who carries Moto, so my guess is that
you'll have to have a distributor call the factory, and get a price on
one piece, if Moto will sell one.
Steve Ligett       steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or
(decvax harvard linus true)!dartvax!steve.ligett

beres@cadnetix.COM (Tim Beres) (03/10/89)

In article <2600010@hcx9> goldfarb@hcx9.UCF.EDU writes:

>[Wants low cost PMMU]
>
>Ben Goldfarb

Hi Ben.  You might try calling an Electronic Disti.  H/A or Arrow.
They'll usually sell you a single chip, esp. if you promise to let them
quote on some other (disk drive, etc.) business.  BTW, how's Tony B.
and Jennifer?

			Tim (former admin for tslvax)

------>MY SOAPBOX (I speak for myself)
	"Any accord based on Ortega's promises is like trying to
	      leash a dog with sausages" - Adolfo Calero
Tim Beres   beres@cadnetix.com  {uunet,boulder,nbires}!cadnetix!beres

sidlives@mit-vax.LCS.MIT.EDU (David Rho) (03/11/89)

In article <8903080956.AA22840@Portia.stanford.edu> carter@PORTIA.STANFORD.EDU (Thomas J. Carter) writes:
>I recently got Virtual (which I love) and put in the 68851, but now
>I'm wondering what to do with the old chip.  Can it be sold and used
>elsewhere?  Thanks in advance.

The chip that you pulled out of your Mac II is essentially and for
all purposes useless.  It is just a brain dead version of the
68851 which (from what I heard) always sends back page faults at
every memory reference.
	sidlives@mit-vax.lcs.mit.edu
	David Rho

Disclaimer: I cannot and will not take any responsibility
for anything in this article.  If anything is not correct,
sorry.

urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de (Matthias Urlichs) (03/16/89)

In article <2600010@hcx9> goldfarb@hcx9.UCF.EDU writes:

>Let's get back (sorta) to the original issue.  What is a fair price
>for a 68851 and from whence does one obtain one?

Hmmmm..
A year ago or so, when PMMUs didn't really exist (they were in whatever a
chip designer's equivalent of beta testing is) a friend of mine went to the
US and wanted to get a PMMU. I said, get one for me too. So he wrote Motorola
and said he'd like to have two 68851s. Sure enough, he got them. For free.
They work. They aren't quite release chips but that does not seem to be
a problem.
What else would one want of life?

Disclaimer: This worked a year ago. It certainly won't work today.
            Although you might try...
--
Matthias Urlichs -- Humboldtstrasse 7 -- 7500 Karlsruhe 1 -- FRG
urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de -- ++49+721-621127@PTT