[comp.sys.mac] System 6.0.3 and Macintalk/Suitcase

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (03/09/89)

A friend is running 6.0.3 on a MacII.  He's having problems with
Suitcase and Macintalk which we're inclined to blame on the new system,
since they both worked previously.

Suitcase (v1.0) loads DAs/fonts fine on start-up, but when you bring up
its dialog box both the Open File and Close File buttons are disabled
(grayed out).  Kinda defeats the purpose.

Macintalk is more interesting: Anytime a program (e.g., The Moose,
MPW's say script) tries to access macintalk the machine crashes and
burns.

Anyone had similar experiences?  Do we think it's the new system?

Thanks in advance.

--
unsigned *Wayne_Mesard();
MESARD@BBN.COM

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (03/10/89)

In article <37020@bbn.COM> mesard@BBN.COM (Wayne Mesard) writes:
>A friend is running 6.0.3 on a MacII.  He's having problems with
>Suitcase and Macintalk which we're inclined to blame on the new system,
>since they both worked previously.
>
>Macintalk is more interesting: Anytime a program (e.g., The Moose,
>MPW's say script) tries to access macintalk the machine crashes and
>burns.
>
>Anyone had similar experiences?  Do we think it's the new system?

Macintalk 1.31, which is an UNSUPPORTED product, seems to work just fine on
my system with 6.0.3...

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher) (03/11/89)

In article <37020@bbn.COM>, mesard@BBN.COM (Wayne Mesard) writes:

> A friend is running 6.0.3 on a MacII....
> Suitcase (v1.0) loads DAs/fonts fine on start-up, but when you bring up
> its dialog box both the Open File and Close File buttons are disabled...

Suitcase 1.0 is obsolete.  This was fixed in 1.2, released in Jan. 1988, but
that's obsolete too.  The current product is Suitcase II.  For update info,
contact:
        Fifth Generation Systems, Inc.
        11200 Industriplex Blvd.
        Baton Rouge, LA 70809
        (504) 291-7721
--

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher)

alistair@minster.york.ac.uk (03/16/89)

mesard@BBN.COM (Wayne Mesard) asks about running 6.0.3 on a Mac II:
> Macintalk is more interesting: Anytime a program (e.g., The Moose,
> MPW's say script) tries to access macintalk the machine crashes and
> burns.
> Anyone had similar experiences?  Do we think it's the new system?

I have been having problems with Macintalk under 6.0.3, but of a rather
different nature. It does work sometimes, and does not generally bomb
See comp.sys.mac.programmer for details