[comp.sys.mac] Red Ryder v2.0/BBS software wanted

fmodwyer@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie (Frank O'Dwyer , ext. 1695) (03/14/89)

I am looking for BBS software for the Mac.  I am told that Red Ryder
v2.0 has some BBS functions - does anyone out there know where I can
get my hands on it?  Better still can anyone mail it to me?

Thanks,

Frank O'Dwyer,
Dept. of computer science,
Trinity College,
Dublin.

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert J. Hammen) (03/15/89)

In article <38905@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie> fmodwyer@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie (Frank O'Dwyer , ext. 1695) writes:
>I am looking for BBS software for the Mac.  I am told that Red Ryder
>v2.0 has some BBS functions - does anyone out there know where I can
>get my hands on it?  Better still can anyone mail it to me?

What you are referring to is Red Ryder Host 2.0, the "other" commercial product
that The FreeSoft Company sells. It is NOT PD or shareware, and can't be
distributed via the net. It is available for $135 from:

The FreeSoft Company
150 Hickory Drive
Beaver Falls, PA 15010
(412) 846-2700

I run a private RRH 2.0 system for my business, and am intimately familiar
with it, in case you have questions. The other BBS software packages for the
Mac are WWIV 3.x (a straight port from the PC version) and Mansion. I must
admit that I don't know much about them, but there are others here on the net
that do...

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/ Robert Hammen  | hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu | uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!hammen     /
/ Delphi: HAMMEN | GEnie: R.Hammen | CI$: 70701,2104 | MacNet: HAMMEN     /
/ Bulfin Printers | 1887 N. Water | Milwaukee WI 53202 | (414) 271-1887   /
/ 3839 N. Humboldt #204 | Milwaukee WI 53212 | (414) 961-0715 (h)         /
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

AXS101@PSUVM.BITNET (Adrian Sullivan) (03/15/89)

red ryder (now at version 10.3) is a terminal program with the ability
to run as a host. i assume you are speaking of red ryder host 2.0 (the
latest version), which is a full bbs package. i run a system on rrh 2.0,
and can give you any info you need on this. norm gooder (hopefully
spelled right) is the co-sysop on the freesoft roundtable on genie
(freesoft = the company that owns red ryder) and is also here on the net
(i've noticed a few of his postings). i'm sure he'd be more than happy to
help out.

                                                 Adrian Sullivan
                                                  Vice President- PAMUG
                                                  Little Mac BBs
                                                   (814) 238-4276
                                                   1:129/95 fido!
                                                   2400/1200bps, 8-n-1
                                                   24hrs, except 3:40-5am

macak@lakesys.UUCP (James Macak) (03/15/89)

In article <38905@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie> fmodwyer@csvax1.cs.tcd.ie (Frank O'Dwyer , ext. 1695) writes:
>I am looking for BBS software for the Mac.  I am told that Red Ryder
>v2.0 has some BBS functions - does anyone out there know where I can
>get my hands on it?  Better still can anyone mail it to me?

I think you are referring to Red Ryder Host, which is specifically BBS
software and not a terminal emulator.  Now in version 2.0, RRH is commercial
software and is available from The FreeSoft Company, 150 Hickory Drive, Beaver
Falls, PA  15010, USA.

Red Ryder v. 10.3 is telecommunications software by the same company.  It does
offer a few features that would enable one to run a limited BBS, but it would
hardly seem to be worth the trouble.

(I have no connection w/ The FreeSoft Company other than being a customer.)

Jim

--

Jim Macak  <lakesys!macak@csd1.milw.wisc.edu>

mec@mtfmi.att.com (M.CONNICK) (03/17/89)

Red Ryder Host Version 2.0 is a commercial BBS program written by
Scott Watson. It costs about $120 and shouldn't be confused with the
Red Ryder Terminal program by the same author.

Other popular Mac BBS programs are WWIV (shareware) and Mansion
(commerical $99.00).

We run a BBS using Mansion and are very pleased with it.