[comp.sys.mac] Virtual on the SE/30--It WORKS!

pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) (03/12/89)

Just a short note of interest on Virtual INIT--It works just fine on a Mac
SE/30!  Watched a guy today at our Mac group meeting use it on his 1 meg
SE/30.  No apparent problems with about 6 meg of application memory in use.
Note this was the Mac IIx version of Virtual that he was running.

(p.s. He installed another meg of memory about an hour later...didn't get a
chance to check on the results of that.  The 1 meg setup was a BIT slow...)

UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!pj
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!pj@nosc.mil
INET: pj@pnet51.cts.com

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (03/14/89)

In article <753@orbit.UUCP> pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) writes:
>Just a short note of interest on Virtual INIT--It works just fine on a Mac
>SE/30!  Watched a guy today at our Mac group meeting use it on his 1 meg
>SE/30.  No apparent problems with about 6 meg of application memory in use.
>Note this was the Mac IIx version of Virtual that he was running.

Did they ever get to work with TMON and the RAM cache?  I don't really want
to give those up.  By the way, I read in MacWeek a few weeks ago that Apple
was coming out with a similar INIT.  Does anyone know more on that?

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
hollander@ti.com

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.

cmkuo@cs.utexas.edu (Chin-Ming Kuo) (03/16/89)

In article <753@orbit.UUCP> pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) writes:
||Just a short note of interest on Virtual INIT--It works just fine on a Mac
||SE/30!  Watched a guy today at our Mac group meeting use it on his 1 meg
||SE/30.  No apparent problems with about 6 meg of application memory in use.
||Note this was the Mac IIx version of Virtual that he was running.
||(p.s. He installed another meg of memory about an hour later...didn't get a
||chance to check on the results of that.  The 1 meg setup was a BIT slow...)

Can anyone else confirm this? I tried Virtual.30 ( for 030 based
machines) on my SE/30 with 2M memory and DataFrame drive for hours.
Booting seems fine and you have 8M from the 'about finder'.
However, the most obvious problem is the system will crash whenever
there is a floppy eject event, either by dragging to trash can or
cmd-shift-1. Not sure this is related to system6.0.3.
As for compatibility of various applications, so far I've found
Allegro Common Lisp, Digitalk's Smalltalk, and Hypercard not
compatible with the combination of SE/30, Virtual, and DataFrame.

Chin-Ming Kuo
cmkuo@cs.utexas.edu
cs.utexas.edu!cmkuo

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (03/17/89)

In article <314@mohawk.cs.utexas.edu> cmkuo@cs.utexas.edu (Chin-Ming Kuo) writes:
>In article <753@orbit.UUCP> pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) writes:
>||Just a short note of interest on Virtual INIT--It works just fine on a Mac
>||SE/30!  Watched a guy today at our Mac group meeting use it on his 1 meg
>||SE/30.  No apparent problems with about 6 meg of application memory in use.
>||Note this was the Mac IIx version of Virtual that he was running.

>As for compatibility of various applications, so far I've found
>Allegro Common Lisp, Digitalk's Smalltalk, and Hypercard not
>compatible with the combination of SE/30, Virtual, and DataFrame.

Specifically, Allegro Common Lisp requires 1.2.2 to run on an '030
Mac.  I don't know why, but, 1.2.1 will not run - as I quickly found
out after receiving my SE/30.