[comp.sys.mac] Mac II Fan Noise

craig@ssds.UUCP (Craig Ruff) (10/07/87)

Has anyone else noticed that a Mac II fan that sits close by (like an adjacent
room) sounds sort of like a dial tone on a modem speaker at low volume?
Talk about annoying, perhaps Steve Jobs was right. :-)
--

Craig Ruff
{hao,nbires}!isis!ssds!craig

cm450s02@uhccux.UUCP (jeff t. segawa) (10/08/87)

In article <240@ssds.UUCP> craig@ssds.UUCP (Craig Ruff) writes:
>Has anyone else noticed that a Mac II fan that sits close by (like an adjacent
>room) sounds sort of like a dial tone on a modem speaker at low volume?
>Talk about annoying, perhaps Steve Jobs was right. :-)

Come on! It's not THAT bad! Mine just makes a sort of "whoosh-ing" noise.
I can live with that. It also keeps my USR Courier modem cool too.
The breeze coming from the left side of the cabinet is pretty useful for
that purpose. After putting up with an overheated Apple //e, Mac 512K
and Mac Plus, I'm glad to see that this bit of Steve Job's wisdom has
been quitely laid to rest. Forever, I hope. I for one was absolutely
delighted when I was the IIGS, SE and II all made available with fans.
Finally, I don't have to worry that the computer is going to act flakey
whenever the weather gets hot. On the other hand, my monochrome monitor
sure used to rattle a lot when placed on top of the CPU. I tracked the noise
down to a plastic part that prevents miscellaneous object from entering
in via the security port. A tiny dab of hot glue did the trick.

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (10/09/87)

In article <925@uhccux.UUCP>, cm450s02@uhccux.UUCP (jeff t. segawa) writes:
> In article <240@ssds.UUCP> craig@ssds.UUCP (Craig Ruff) writes:
> >Has anyone else noticed that a Mac II fan that sits close by (like an adjacent
> >room) sounds sort of like a dial tone on a modem speaker at low volume?
> >Talk about annoying, perhaps Steve Jobs was right. :-)
> Come on! It's not THAT bad! Mine just makes a sort of "whoosh-ing" noise.
   Personally I agree with Craig, the fan is much too loud. Seems to me
that the fan is designed with a fully loaded Mac II in mind. Those are pretty
rare these days. I would have prefered a temperature controlled fan instead.
With only a card or two, the fan could be MUCH quieter most of the time. Seems
like the desire to keep a fully loaded MacII cool governed the decision and
ALL MacII users have to suffer because of this.

David Gelphman   daveg%slacvm.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu

dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Dave Platt) (10/09/87)

Agreed, it's pretty noisy.

My venerable Dynaco ST-416 audio amplifier has a nice hack installed
in it for fan control.  In series with the fan's power leads is a
little frammis consisting of a thermostat in parallel with a rectifier
diode.  At low amp-power, the thermostat (mounted on the heat sink)
remains open;  this forces the fan to draw power through the
rectifier, thus receiving only half-cycle current and running at half
speed (or even less).  If the heat sink warms up beyond the
thermostat's set point, the 'stat closes, effectively shorting out the
rectifier and delivering full-cycle current to the fan, which happily
speeds up and cools the heat sink down more.  Under intermediate load
conditions, the fan will cycle between low and high speeds every
minute or so (the massive heatsinks provide a relatively long time
constant).

I'd imagine that a little hack like this could be applied to the Mac
II fan, assuming that it uses 120VAC and is of the usual mini-plug-in
variety.  I may just look around for the parts...

isle@dartvax.UUCP (Ken Hancock) (10/10/87)

In article <2082@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) writes:
>   Personally I agree with Craig, the fan is much too loud. Seems to me
>that the fan is designed with a fully loaded Mac II in mind.

Well of course it is... how'd you like to be responsible for going out
an purchasing a new fan just because you bought a couple cards?  It would
be annoying as heck, and people would give Apple heck for not being
foresighted.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock      UUCP: isle@dartvax
               BITNET: isle@u2.dartmouth.edu

DISCLAIMER: If people weren't so sue-happy, I wouldn't need one!

korn@apple.UUCP (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (10/10/87)

In article <2082@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) writes:
>>  [several people complain about MacII fan noise]
>   Personally I agree with Craig, the fan is much too loud. Seems to me
>that the fan is designed with a fully loaded Mac II in mind. Those are pretty
>rare these days. I would have prefered a temperature controlled fan instead.
>With only a card or two, the fan could be MUCH quieter most of the time.

I believe that the MacII fan *is* temperature controled.  I was looking
into replacing my fan with a quieter one (one of the few areas where an
Amiga clearly outperforms a MacII is in fan noise--the perfect reason to
purchase one of those beasties... :-), and was talking to a hardware friend
of mine who took a look at the board and said "geeze, that's a variable
speed fan--just like those wierd Apple disk drives; ain't gonna be easy
to replace that".

This was some months ago, before I decided to jump a step up from retail.
Perhaps someone here at Apple can provide more firm information though...
 Peter "Arrgh" Korn    korn@apple.com   !hplabs!amdahl!apple!korn    "hi mom!"

hunt@firqb.dec.com (Phil Hunt) (10/13/87)

The user manual states that the noise of the fan will INCREASE as the machine
gets hotter..   I find my fan very quiet, quieter than a Jasmine 80 I had, so
the noise is acceptable to me.

Phil Hunt

shap@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Shapiro) (10/20/87)

In article <2082@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU>, mrh@Shasta.UUCP writes:
> In article <925@uhccux.UUCP>, cm450s02@uhccux.UUCP (jeff t. segawa) writes:
> > In article <240@ssds.UUCP> craig@ssds.UUCP (Craig Ruff) writes:
> > >Has anyone else noticed that a Mac II fan that sits close by (like an adjacent
> > >room) sounds sort of like a dial tone on a modem speaker at low volume?

Worse still, If I sit my modem on the machine and my telephone on the
modem, then whether or not the modem is on I hear an amazing buzz on the
telephone. It is apparently not audible to people on the other end, but it
is annoying nonetheless. Yes, I know that sticking a telephone immediately
over the power supply I am asking for it.

Jon

ge@phoibos.UUCP (Ge Weijers) (01/19/89)

Thanks for the help on reducing the noise of a Mac II to acceptable levels.
I just (3 hours ago) replaced the fan by a Radio Shack/Tandy/Archer
273-243B (which exactly matches the specs of the 273-243A) and it works
without any problems. I used a 1/10" spaced circuit board edge connector for
a plug. No heat problems so far. The hottest part of the machine is the
hard disk, and it is only about 45 degrees celcius (113 degrees farenheit).
The fan costs fl.49,50 in the Netherlands, about 50% more than in the USA.
The instructions I received from Dave Platt (dplatt@coherent.com) are
very detailed. One tip: the fan comes out easily if the spacer is moved
towards the circuit board so the edge of the fan can touch the metal casing.

Ge' Weijers, ge@cs.kun.nl

billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (03/12/89)

Tonight I performed the much talked about fan modificiation to my Mac II.
Now, my machine is so quiet I can't hear it (my hard drive is a different
story).  I, being an individual, decided to add my own little twist to the
modification.  I keep my Mac II "kickstanded" (i.e., in an upright position
to the right of my desk).  I am part of the vast majority who place the end
with the power supply on the bottom, and the disk drives on the top.  Because
of this, I reversed the new fan when I put it in.  Now, both convection
and fan power draw air into the bottom of the machine and out the top.  I
can actually feel the air blowing out of the top of my machine.  I think this
is the ideal solution to both the fan noise and kickstand convection problems.

Can anyone see any problems with this?  The only qualm I have is that now the
dirt drawn through the machine will probably collect inside the machine
instead of inside the power supply.  But that is okay, since I clean my
machine out each month.

+----------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
| Steve Bollinger      | Internet: billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu            |
| 4297 Sulgrave Dr.    +------+---------------------------------------------+
| Swartz Creek, Mi. 48473     | "My employer doesn't take my opinion any    |
+-----------------------------+  more seriously than you do."               |
| "You remember the IIe, it   +---------------------------------------------+
| was the machine Apple made before they decided people didn't need         |
| machines with big screens, color, or slots."                              |
|                                 - Harry Anderson (from NBC's Night Court) |

mikel@cs.dal.ca (Michael P. Lamoureux) (03/13/89)

In article <41f898be.a590@mag.engin.umich.edu>, billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) writes:
> Tonight I performed the much talked about fan modificiation to my Mac II.

Just what is this Mac II fan modification?  How do I do it, where
do I get the new fan from?

Michael Lamoureux,  mikel@cs.dal.cs

carlson@hpindda.HP.COM (Bob Carlson) (03/14/89)

I got a IIx last week and now that the initial rush has
worn off, I notice that I can tell from two rooms away
that I forgot to turn the machine off.  The fan noise,
of course, gives it away.  (At least it can't sneak up
on me in the dark.)  Could someone post the
instructions for fan surgery again for those of us
who didn't get it when we should have?  Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Bob

sidlives@mit-vax.LCS.MIT.EDU (David Rho) (03/16/89)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Mac II Fan Noise
In article <40260009@hpindda.HP.COM> carlson@hpindda.HP.COM (Bob Carlson) writes:
>I got a IIx last week and now that the initial rush has
>worn off, I notice that I can tell from two rooms away
>that I forgot to turn the machine off.  The fan noise,
>of course, gives it away.  (At least it can't sneak up
>on me in the dark.)  Could someone post the
>instructions for fan surgery again for those of us
>who didn't get it when we should have?  Thanks in advance.
>
>Cheers, Bob

Get a Mac IIcx.  It (with the right HD) is wisper quiet.
You should hear (or not hear ) one.
David Rho
sidlives@vx.lcs.mit.edu

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (03/17/89)

In article <40260009@hpindda.HP.COM> carlson@hpindda.HP.COM (Bob Carlson) writes:
>I got a IIx last week and now that the initial rush has
>worn off, I notice that I can tell from two rooms away
>that I forgot to turn the machine off.  The fan noise,
>of course, gives it away.  (At least it can't sneak up
>on me in the dark.)  Could someone post the
>instructions for fan surgery again for those of us
>who didn't get it when we should have?  Thanks in advance.

Just read (MacWorld, I think) that Apple strongly recommends against
changing the fan.  The measure of unrestricted air flow is not
sufficient.  With NuBus boards, etc. the Radio Shack fan might not
adequately cool the Mac, leading to a shorter life.  But, if you still
want to do it, here's how:

Note: I'd added Sony-specific instructions, but, I can't find them.
Shouldn't be difficult to figure out.  Just be aware that there are
differences if you have a Sony power supply.

In article <5776@coherent.com| you write:
> [...]
|   at the 9-o'clock position.  Make sure that you plug it in correctly;
|   the retaining clip on the circuit board should engage the ridge on
|   the plug.
|
|*  Dress the fan and LED leads neatly, by folding any excess fan wire
|   into a "Z" shape, and fastening the wires together with a plastic
|   wire tie or insulated thread of some sort (I used Tom's waxed dental
|   tape... I doubt that the mint flavoring will cause problems).  Make
|   sure that the fan rotates smoothly and doesn't strike any of the wires.
|
|*  Fasten the outgoing power-supply leads to the 4:30-o'clock corner of
|   the fan with a wire tie, per the original arrangement.  [Actually,
|   this seems rather superfluous, as the leads are dressed to the case
|   less than an inch away with a screw-mounted cable tie.  I didn't
|   bother to re-dress them...]
|
|*  Place the power-supply cover back on the case and press it back into
|   position.  Make sure that the retaining slots and ridges all line up
|   properly.  Replace the cover-retaining screws at either end of the
|   case, and tighten.
|
|*  Return the power supply to the Mac II cabinet.  Lower it into the
|   cabinet with the front (fan) end raised slightly, to permit the pins
|   at the rear of the cabinet to engage.  Then, lower it into its
|   horizontal position, slide it gently towards the rear of the case to
|   engage the slots near the front end of the supply, line up the
|   retaining "foot" with the proper hold in the case, and reinsert and
|   tighten the hold-down screw.
|
|*  Plug the power supply back into the motherboard.  Make SURE that you
|   plug it in properly... double-check this, or you could quite possibly
|   damage your machine when you turn it on!
|
|*  Put the cabinet cover back on... engage the slots at the front of the
|   case first, then lower the rear of the cover into position and press
|   down until the cover-retaining catches engage.  Reinsert and tighten
|   the cover-retaining screw.  [See page 11 of your Mac II owner's
|   manual.]
|
|*  Reconnect the monitor, keyboard, and other peripherals and
|   accessories.
|
|*  Reconnect the power cord, and plug the Mac II back in.
|
|*  Push the "Power on" button, and hear the reassuring chord.  If the
|   Mac doesn't power up, emits the four-note "I'm sick" chime, or lets
|   out a hail of sparks and smoke... well... you have my sympathies!
|
|*  Stare at the Mac and see if you believe that it has actually powered
|   up... the buzzing WHOOSH of the old fan will have been replaced by a
|   quiet breeze.

|If you use this procedure, I'd enjoy hearing about the results.  If you
|can suggest any changes to the procedure to make it easier or more
|effective (or to correct any errors on my part), please let me know!
|[I'll be away on business through 6/26;  please forgive any tardiness in

|--