[comp.sys.mac] Color Video board for SE/30

paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (03/13/89)

Does anyone have any information about Color Video boards for the SE/30?
Who makes them?

--
Saiid Paryavi                      			Computer Science Dept.
Internet:  paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu			Nichols Hall

brendan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Brendan Kehoe) (03/14/89)

In article <1237@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) writes:
>Does anyone have any information about Color Video boards for the SE/30?
>Who makes them?

 As far as I know, there *aren't* any...the impression that I've  gotten is
that companies aren't going to start  making third party expansion boards for
the new 32bit SE/30 slot until they see how well the marketplace reacts to
it...considering that they have to redesign everything for this new bus (WHY
Apple decided to summarily cut off all of the third party stuff that's already
out there is beyond me..that's an incredible price to pay for speed), there
hasn't (that I've seen) been much support for it. (Though to me it looks like
a IIx packed into a George Jetson suitcase.)

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (03/15/89)

In article <273@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> brendan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
>In article <1237@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) writes:
>>Does anyone have any information about Color Video boards for the SE/30?
>>Who makes them?
>
> As far as I know, there *aren't* any...the impression that I've  gotten is
>that companies aren't going to start  making third party expansion boards for
>the new 32bit SE/30 slot until they see how well the marketplace reacts to
>it..
(editorial deleted)
>>--
>>Saiid Paryavi                      			Computer Science Dept.
>>Internet:  paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu			Nichols Hall
>>BITNET:    paryavi@ksuvax1.bitnet			Kansas State University
>>UUCP:      {rutgers, texbell}!ksuvax1!harry!paryavi	Manhattan, KS  66506

SuperMac Technology announced a color board for the SE30 at the January
MacWorld Expo in San Francisco; they had a prototype running with their
19" Trinitron monitor at the Apple booth.  It appeared to work quite
well.  I don't recall how soon it will be shipping, however.  There have also been persistent rumors of at least two companies coming out with 32-bit color boards for the SE30.

It could very well be that Apple chose not to produce video boards
of any type for the SE30 (even ones connecting their own just-announced
monitors) in order to encourage third parties to produce entire lines
of video boards for this machine (from 2-bit mono to 32-bit color).
There isn't any question that there will be a pretty good market
for these products.

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarnet            |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709                                         |  |
(415) 549-2684                                              |  |

faubel@apollo.COM (Ken Faubel) (03/15/89)

In article <1237@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) writes:
>Does anyone have any information about Color Video boards for the SE/30?
>Who makes them?

There are two color video boards that I know of for the SE/x.  The first
is from SuperMac.  It has been discussed in several reviews of the SE/x
because it was announced at the same time.  I called and asked about the
SuperMac board and it was pretty heavy duty.  It can do a variety of modes
including a 1024x768 256 color mode up through a 4K x 2K mono mode.  The
list price was about $1,800 something.

The other is from RasterOps.  The ColorBoard 108+/SE30 is shipping now
according to MacWEEK (3/14/89).  This one can do 256 colors or 256 levels
of gray with 640x480 (13"), 800x600 (16"), and 1024x768 (19").  It can also
do an "extended desktop" mode that gives you 8,192x768 than you pan over.
They say it lists for $1,895.

So it looks like there are some color boards but I have yet to see any
smaller ones.  I do not need a huge screen (although it would be fun).
I would really like a simple 640x480 color board that works just like the
color card in the Mac II.  With the color QuickDraw ROMs it seems like
just a matter of time before we see some low end cards.

Ken

--
Internet: faubel@apollo.COM
UUCP: {decvax,mit-erl,yale}!apollo!faubel

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (03/15/89)

In article <273@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> brendan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
<In article <1237@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) writes:
<>Does anyone have any information about Color Video boards for the SE/30?
<>Who makes them?
<
< As far as I know, there *aren't* any...

I called E-Machines as soon as I knew I was getting the SE/30. Their
MONOCHROME solution is the Z-21 with four resolutions. That board is to
ship mid April (I can hardly wait!)

However, I'm pretty sure they are making a board for the color monitor
too (T-21?). Their number is (503) 646-6699 (Oregon) if you want to call.
I've always found them pleasant to talk to (but they never send the stuff
they say they will).

Shirley Kehr

In article <21611@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) writes:

<It could very well be that Apple chose not to produce video boards
<of any type for the SE30 (even ones connecting their own just-announced
<monitors) in order to encourage third parties to produce entire lines
<of video boards for this machine (from 2-bit mono to 32-bit color).
<There isn't any question that there will be a pretty good market
<for these products.
<
<John Heckendorn
                                                              /\
Well, if you can believe things you read in the Macintosh II Report
(Thom Hogan and Michael Swaine), they say that E-Machines has uncovered
a nasty bug in the Apple hardware while testing their 24-bit color card.
It seems the HMMU (that occupies the spot where you will put the PMMU)
does the translation between 24-bit and 32-bit. It loses any interrupt request
that was pending when it switches from one mode to the other.  The result
is a hang.

They say this problem doesn't occur with PMMU or 030s. They urge Apple
to go ahead and release the 24-bit color board and require a PMMU. Of
course, they suggest some price adjustments to make it less painful.

Shirley Kehr

esf00@uts.amdahl.com (Elliott S. Frank) (03/16/89)

>In article <1237@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) writes:
>>Does anyone have any information about Color Video boards for the SE/30?
>>Who makes them?

Check out SuperMac.  I seem to remember that they just announced one.
I saw at least one other prototype on the floor at the SF MacWorld.

The SE/30's slot is actually the CPU buss.  There's probably less
engineering work involved in making a color card cooperate with the
SE/30 than with the II[c][x]'s NuBus.
--
Elliott Frank      ...!{hplabs,ames,sun}!amdahl!esf00     (408) 746-6384
               or ....!{bnrmtv,drivax,hoptoad}!amdahl!esf00

[the above opinions are strictly mine, if anyone's.]
[the above signature may or may not be repeated, depending upon some
inscrutable property of the mailer-of-the-week.]

fred@howtek.UUCP (Fred Giuffrida) (03/16/89)

I believe this week's MacWeek shows Steve Edelman of Supermac Technologies
standing next to their brand new color video board (actually he's standing
next to the monitor but you know what I mean) for the Mac SE30.

--
-Fred.

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (03/17/89)

Greetings,

Here's the latest and greatest information about video cards for the Mac SE/30:

SuperMac Technology

Spectrum/8 (Series II) for the Mac SE/30 will support the following monitors
and/or resolutions:

Apple 12" Monochrome            640 x 480     30.24    MHz    Supplied
Apple 13" Color                 640 x 480     30.24    MHz    Supplied
Apple 15" Portrait Display      640 x 870     57.2832  MHz    Supplied

SuperMac 16" Trinitron         1024 x 768     64.00    MHz    Supplied
SuperMac 19" Trinitron         1024 x 768     64.00    MHz    Supplied
SuperMac 19" Standard Color    1024 x 768     64.00    MHz    Supplied
SuperMac 19" Grey Scale        1024 x 768     64.00    MHz    Supplied

Multisynchronous                640 x 480     24.00    MHz    User-supplied

Apple NTSC RGB                  640 x 480     12.27    MHz    User-supplied
NTSC RGB                        640 x 480     14.31818 MHz    User-supplied
PAL RGB                         768 x 576     16.257   MHz    User-supplied

I should also note that we also provide a fourth oscillator socket for Custom
monitor configurations.  And don't forget about the hardware pan & zoom (2x)
and Virtual Desktops (up to 4096 x 1536 in 1-bit mode).

RasterOps

ColorBoard 108+/SE30 will support the following monitors:

13" monitor     640 x 480
16" monitor     800 x 600
19" monitor    1024 x 768

Unknown about any custom monitor configurations, hardware pan & zoom (4x) and
extended desktops are an option.

MegaGraphics

MegaScreen SE/30-8 will only support their 19" Trinitron at 1024 x 826 at 75
dpi.

All three video cards have been priced at $1895.

I should also note:

E-Machines

Big Picture Z21 SE/30 is a 21" monochrome video system that costs $2495.  This
price includes the video card and monitor.  Feature are supposed to include
hardware panning and software selectable resolutions.  Set to ship in April.

Hope this information helps!

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com