[comp.sys.mac] Background color

gmw1@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gabe M Wiener) (03/15/89)

While I've been successful at changing the background colors of most parts of
the screen with Kolor, I cannot seem to find a way to change the actual white
background of text windows in programs like Smartcom, MS Word, or even the
finder.

I've got a 19" monitor, and the intensity of the white is a bit taxing to look
at for long periods of time.  I'd like to set the window background to an
easy-on-the-eyes green or amber.

Any way to do this?

Thanks!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-\******/=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Gabe Wiener -- Columbia University   \****/
				      \**/  "At times it is wiser to remain
INTERNET: gmw1@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu  \/    silent and be considered a fool
BITNET:   gmw1@cunixc                  /\    than to speak and remove all
COMPUSERVE: 72355,1226                /**\   doubt."
WUI: 650-117-9118                    /****\                - Shaw
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-/******\=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

dce@stan.UUCP (David Elliott) (03/16/89)

In article <8903150448.AA20003@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu> gmw1@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gabe M Wiener) writes:
>While I've been successful at changing the background colors of most parts of
>the screen with Kolor, I cannot seem to find a way to change the actual white
>background of text windows in programs like Smartcom, MS Word, or even the
>finder.

SmartComm has a menu item (Preferences?) that lets you set the
background color.

I found that using Kolor to set the background for windows was
useless.  Some windows, such as the "Receive" popup in SmartComm and
many "About" box windows, appear to "paste up" text, so that all black
text is surrounded by by white.  The result is very ugly.

Color support is generally in its infant stage.  Even NCSA Layout,
which is a program developed for color systems, clashes with what
Kolor does in that it forces the menu bar to be white with black
letters.

--
David Elliott		...!pyramid!boulder!stan!dce
"Splish splash, I was rakin' in the cash"  -- Eno

stores@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (03/17/89)

In article <8903150448.AA20003@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu> gmw1@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gabe M Wiener) writes:
>While I've been successful at changing the background colors of most parts of
>the screen with Kolor, I cannot seem to find a way to change the actual white
>background of text windows in programs like Smartcom, MS Word, or even the
>finder.

The Kolor Cdev has the ability to change the backgroud color of a window
with the Backgroud fill option. But remember that most programs erase
their windows to white before drawing. (which is not correct they should
erase to the backcolor). You can see this in the finder when its windows
refresh. Try this, in the Kolor cdev change the "Background fill"
to any color that you want. Then resize the window. Watch the color
appear and then get erased to white. The Growincon and the space between the
double line is the background color.

Matt Mora
SRI International

ifocs9d@aucs.UUCP (Rick Giles) (03/18/89)

In article <8903150448.AA20003@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu> gmw1@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gabe M Wiener) writes:
>While I've been successful at changing the background colors of most parts of
>the screen with Kolor, I cannot seem to find a way to change the actual white
>background of text windows in programs like Smartcom, MS Word, or even the
>finder.

I've written a utility called BWIIC. BWIIC allows you to change the
colors of menus, windows, dialog, dialog items, and controls, PROVIDED
your application gets these from resources. BWIIC is shareware; check
your bulletin boards, or contact me.

     Rick Giles             Bitnet:   FRGILES@Acadia
     P. O. Box 207          Internet: FRGILES%Acadia.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
     Acadia University      UUCP:     uunet!dalcs!aucs!ifocs9d
     Wolfville, N. S.
     B0P 1X0
     CANADA                 (902)542-7339