[comp.sys.mac] Diskfit vs. Retrospect

gmw1@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gabe M Wiener) (03/14/89)

I'm looking for a backup program that'll work with Apple's tape drive and will
run substantially better than the Apple-included program (i.e., faster, will
run under multifinder, etc.)

People have recommended DiskFit 1.4 for this job.  But I've now heard that
Dantz, the same people who developed DiskFit, are coming out with something
called Retrospect, which is another archiving utility.

Anyone know about it?  (particularly how it'll differ from DiskFit)

Thanks....

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-\******/=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Gabe Wiener -- Columbia University   \****/
				      \**/  "At times it is wiser to remain
INTERNET: gmw1@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu  \/    silent and be considered a fool
BITNET:   gmw1@cunixc                  /\    than to speak and remove all
COMPUSERVE: 72355,1226                /**\   doubt."
WUI: 650-117-9118                    /****\                - Shaw
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-/******\=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

>People have recommended DiskFit 1.4 for this job.  But I've now heard that
>Dantz, the same people who developed DiskFit, are coming out with something
>called Retrospect, which is another archiving utility.

>Anyone know about it?  (particularly how it'll differ from DiskFit)

Actually, the current release of DiskFit is 1.5. It's considerably faster
than 1.4 was and interfaces with Multifinder better.

DiskFit and Retrospect really are similar products that do things
differently. DiskFit is designed specifically to do backups of a partition
to protect against failure. Retrospect is a program designed more towards
long-term archiving and retrieval. The difference between, say, keeping your
hard disk backed up and storing/organizing your public domain floppies.

Retrospect is in beta. Because of that, I can't really say much, since I'm
under non-disclosure. But I think that people who are thinking that
Retrospect as a replacement for DiskFit don't understand the product. They
do different things. While they're similar in intent, the approaches are
much different. They're very much complimentary products.

delaney@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (John R. Delaney) (03/15/89)

Without violating non-disclosure, Chuq, can you tell us
if one of the differences between DiskFit and Retrospective
is the ability in Retrospective to maintain "backups" of
files after they have been deleted from a hard disk? In
other words, can you tell us if Retrospective is a genuine
archive maintenance utility instead of a hard disk backup
utility?

Why do I want to know? Because I very much want a genuine
archive maintenance utility that will allow me to keep on
floppies versions of files that I don't use any more but am
too conservative (read chicken) to permanently delete.

John

>In
>other words, can you tell us if Retrospective is a genuine
>archive maintenance utility instead of a hard disk backup
>utility?

Yes. DiskFit's purpose is to let you make a copy of your disk so it can be
re-created if something happens to it. Retrospect is designed to handle the
archiving and retrieval of files in long-term storage. Without going into
any details, the idea behind Retrospect is to let you squirrel stuff away
and then help you find it again without spending hours rummaging for it.

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (03/15/89)

if you can FTP, you can get the Dataframe specific software from the
archives at RASCAL.ICS.UTEXAS.EDU in directory  mac/dataframe-support.

Roger Long, moderator of comp.binaries, has Diskfit 1.5df waiting in his
queue for Usenet-distribution ...

--
      ----------->   PREFERED RETURN-ADDRESS FOLLOWS   <--------------

  (ARPA)    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)
  (UUCP)    ..!utastro!werner   or  ..!uunet!rascal.ics.utexas.edu!werner

danm@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Daniel Milliron) (03/16/89)

In article <1303@xn.LL.MIT.EDU>, delaney@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (John R. Delaney) writes:

> Why do I want to know? Because I very much want a genuine
> archive maintenance utility that will allow me to keep on
> floppies versions of files that I don't use any more but am
> too conservative (read chicken) to permanently delete.
>
> John

Recently, I came up with an idea for a disk archiver that I don't mind sharing
because I will never have the time to implement it anyway.

My ideal disk archiver would create a virtual hard disk of infinite length
that has every file I own.  This virtual disk would be implemented as a
combination of my hard disk(s) and the zillions of floppies I have floating
around.  My real hard disk(s) would be used as a most-recently-used file
cache.

The icon for the virtual disk would replace my hard disk icon(s) on the
desktop.  When I open a file, the disk archiver would determine if it is
resident on a hard (read "fast") disk.  If it isn't then the disk archiver
would ask me to insert the floppy that contains the file.  It would then
copy it over to the hard disk, maintaining the most-recently-used files
on the faster medium.  When the faster hard disk(s) become too full,
the archiver would put the least recently used files on floppy, collaborating
with the me the user to insert diskettes.

This would be a wonderful utility, IMHO.

Dan Milliron

chips@tekchips.LABS.TEK.COM (Chip Schnarel) (03/17/89)

In article <3890@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM>, danm@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Daniel Milliron) writes:
> My ideal disk archiver would ...
>
> the archiver would put the least recently used files on floppy, collaborating
> with the me the user to insert diskettes.

Now just replace the floppies with an optical disk, or a 4.4GB 8mm tape.

> This would be a wonderful utility, IMHO.

Indeed it would.

> Dan Milliron

Chip Schnarel

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (03/17/89)

John,

Just to add to what Chuq (THANKS!) has said, DiskFit's is a BACKUP application;
whereas, Retrospect is probably the first, true ARCHIVAL application for the
Mac.

DiskFit's main goal in life is that if in the unfortunate event of complete
data loss, your last incremental backup should have been a full and complete
backup.  Essentially, a SmartSet is a "shadow" or virtual copy of your hard
disk at the time of that backup.

Retrospect, on the other hand, is designed to archive information...not backup
information.  There are subtle differences, but as Chuq mentioned, the two
products are complimentary.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (03/18/89)

If Retrospect is an archiving utility for old and less frequently used
files then I would expect it to have some options for compressing these
files.  File searching is necessary for an archiver but it also needs to
save you some space or else it's not really that useful.  Does it have this?
No comment necessary if it violates non-disclosure.

+++

Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 146 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616