From arpa!plains.NoDak.edu!nopuklic Wed Mar 15 13:30:02 CST 1989
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 89 13:30:02 CST
From: Blayne Puklich <nopuklic@plains.NoDak.edu>
Subject: Re: Imagewriter LQ

Well, I've had the LQ from about the time it was released, and I've had
absolutely NO problems with it whatsoever.  You're right that the early
versions of the printer resource were bad, but the current versions are fine.
The major problem before was that whenever the LQ's buffer filled, it stopped
accepting more data from the Mac, and, since the buffer was so large, the
Mac would time out after a while, complaining that the LQ had been taken
offline, or something like that.  Our quick fix for that was to drive the
LQ off the MODEM port rather than the printer port.  You won't have to
worry about that anymore with printer resource 2.0 or higher.

The only current problem is that, if you have the dip in the LQ set so
that it spits out the extra 1-and-some inches so you can tear off the paper
without wasting a page, you have to remember to lift the bail up every
time you print again.  I think the IW II always lifts the bail after the
print job when you use this dip setting, but the LQ resource I have (2.0)
doesn't do this.  No big deal to remember this, really.

Really, I get some VERY good output from my LQ, so if you're thinking of
springing for one, do it.  Much cheaper than a LW, ya know.  But, as with
all of Apple's IW's, the LQ still has some alignment problems at the start
and end of some pages (but unidirectional print takes care of most of that).

Heck, it's even convenient to print envelopes with the LQ.  All you do
is set it to platen feed, lift the door, put in the envelope, form-feed
it, and off you go.  Don't even have to take out the paper (just back it up).

Hope this really verbose message makes sense...

_________________________
From arpa!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!mha Wed Mar 15 11:42:23 EST 1989
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 89 11:42:23 EST
From: mha@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Mark H. Anbinder)

Ronald --

The ImageWriter LQ is definitely quite well suited to correspondence and
the occasional light graphic work.  The latest version of the printer
driver software works just fine (yes, the original was a clunker!).  The
printer is not phenomenally fast, but it has a reasonable throughput.

One concern is that you are limited in the fonts and sizes you can use
by the fact that your System file needs to have the bitmapped font three
times the size you're using in order for the printer to print in letter
quality mode.  So, if your letter is in 12-point Times, you need 36-point
Times in your System file.  The printer comes with a large range of font
sizes of Times, Helvetica, Courier, and Symbol.  If you want to use a
different font (I personally love Palatino) you can use the program
FontSizer which has been discussed on the net lately to produce screen
fonts of any size by using a PostScript printer as a source.  So, all
you need to do is use a Mac connected to a LaserWriter for a couple of
hours and you've got a wide range of fonts and sizes, INCLUDING different
styles like Italic and Bold, which the Times, etc. that come with the
LQ DON'T include.  (Note that, technically, using FontSizer-produced
fonts for printing on another printer is against their licensing
agreement, but apparently it has become quite popular.)

Another concern might be the noise of the LQ.  It has a very high-pitched,
irritating shriek as it prints.  I hear that the new version of the LQ,
which owners can swap their old printers for starting today (this is
third-hand info), is quieter, but if your printer will be in a quiet
office environment, you should consider getting a printer enclosure or
putting the printer in another room.

Putting the printer in another room is especially convenient if you buy
the optional AppleTalk card and connect the printer to your network, so
everyone in the office can use it easily.

_________________________

From arpa!Sun.COM!uucp!parcplace!khaw Mon Mar 13 10:33:01 PST 1989
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 89 10:33:01 PST
From: parcplace!khaw@Sun.COM (Mike Khaw)

I recommend the HP DeskJet.  It is a 300dpi inkjet printer. Using
printer drivers like Grappler LS or DataPak (both around $120) you can
obtain output that rivals laser printer output quality.  The DeskJet is
quieter than any ImageWriter and probably about as fast (though I only
have an Imagewriter I to compare against).  The DeskJet lists for
around $900, I believe, but is widely discounted to under $700.  It
uses standard copier paper (cut sheet only) and can also handle
manually fed #10 size business envelopes.  Ink and nozzles come
integrated in easy to replace cartridges which cost about $15 each in
quantities of 6 or more.  How long they last is a function of the kind
of printing you do.

_____________________

From drutx!mtgzz!mtgzy!mtuxo!rcd Mon Mar 13 16:52 EST 1989

For 300 dpi (laser quality) resolution output where speed is not
important, I can't think of a better value than the HP Deskjet which
you should be able to get at discount prices for under $680.

Combine this with the Grappler LS driver from Orange Micro, and
you'll get beautiful printouts from your MacIntosh.
_______________________

From arpa!sol.UVic.ca!richards Tue Mar 14 19:58:17 1989
Date: 12 Mar 89 22:46 -0800
Subject: Imagewriter LQ

Hi there.  I've been living with an LQ for over a year now and
figured I'd let you know what I thought of it.  I got one of
the first off of the line -- I ordered it in late July, 1987.
Of course, it didn't show up until after Christmas, and I was
quite unimpressed when it did arrive.  The problems with the
driver were so bad that you couldn't use a proportional font.
They even admitted this in the manual.  Now that the driver has
been updated I am much happier with the printer.  At this point
my biggest gripe is the lack of available fonts!!  You're probably
aware of this, but you must keep triple-sized fonts in your
system if you want to take advantage of the LQ.  I haven't been
able to find any fonts other than those included with the printer
that are in the proper sizes.  (They include courier, times,
helvetica and symbol with the printer.)  Also, if you're still
using a floppy-based system you're in trouble -- those triple-
sized fonts get BIG!  It is quite noisy, though I hear there is
a fix in the works, and not much faster than the IW II in the
best mode.  However, for what I paid for it (academic discount),
I am quite pleased with the print quality.  Of course, that was
over a year and a half ago.  Laser printers have come down enough
in price that if I had to make the same decision today it would
be a tough call.  As long as you are only going to use the printer
lightly, I guess I'd still go with the LQ.
     If you've got any specific questions I'd be glad to answer
them.  Also, I assume you've seen some print-outs from the LQ.  If
not I could send you some.  (In fact, I'd be glad to print a file
for you if you e-mail it to me (binhexed) and send you the output.
The printer has been much maligned in the press, and I guess I
sort of feel obligated to stick up for it.

		Brad Richards
		richards@csr.uvic.ca