[comp.sys.mac] Leprechaun Demo

epayne@x102a.harris-atd.com (payne edward 01471) (03/09/89)

	I just downloaded the Leprechaun Demo (all 10 parts) to my Mac SE and   when I tried to run it, the Critter Smitter screen comes on and then freezes
and my cursor disappears and I have to reboot.  Has anybody else suffered from
this dilemma?
Was something corrupted in the posting?  Thanks for any info.

					Ed Payne

lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) (03/10/89)

In article <1662@trantor.harris-atd.com> epayne@x102a.harris-atd.com (payne edward 01471) writes:

>	I just downloaded the Leprechaun Demo (all 10 parts) to my Mac SE and   when I tried to run it, the Critter Smitter screen comes on and then freezes
>and my cursor disappears and I have to reboot.  Has anybody else suffered from
>this dilemma?
>Was something corrupted in the posting?  Thanks for any info.

This happened when I tried to use it with a System 4.2 startup disk.  I works with
system 6.0.2

Has anyone successfully done any of the last three levels?  It seems to me that
"The Dalek" and "Good Luck" are impossible.

--
Larry Baum
Advanced Technology Center

md32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Joseph Darweesh) (03/11/89)

Yea, I've finished the Demo.
It only took me about a day maybe a little longer.

The Weesh
(Mike Darweesh)
md32@andrew.cmu.edu
md32@andrew.bitnet
...!{harvard,ucbvax}!andrew.cmu.edu!md32

rmyers@net1.ucsd.edu (Robert Myers) (03/11/89)

Please note I am using someone else's account, see address at bottom.

I think that Leprechaun needs all the memory it can get.  We have
a 1 MB Mac II, and I had to take out all the extras (DAs, cdevs,
etc) to get it to run.

I have also managed to solve both "The Dalek" and "Good Luck".
They take some thought, and each has a trick, but they are not
impossible.  If you want the solutions send me mail.  If I get
enough requests, I'll post the solutions.

Also, I just wanted to say that the shareware fee of $59 to
get the complete version is way too much.  Yes, it's a neat idea
and the colors and characters are done fairly well.  But the
leprechaun moves way too slow (in color), the key commands sometimes
have to be repeated, and once a level has been figured out there is no
real reason to play it again.  Oh well, just my opinion.

Raul Rathmann
raul%sdnp1@ucsd.edu

md32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Joseph Darweesh) (03/11/89)

Yea, I agree...
It's quite fun to play until you've solved a certain level.
Then it's no fun to play that level any more.
I do however enjoy the sounds.
In particular, I enjoy the snail squish and now I use that as my
sysbeep.

The Weesh
Carnegie Mellon
md32@andrew.cmu.edu
md32@andrew.bitnet

ps: I'd never pay $59 dollars for a game that I'd only go through once
even though the idea of a level editor is cool.

rickk@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Rick Klaus) (03/14/89)

The Daleks and Good Luck Levels are definitely do-able.  It just takes a
couple of wild stunts!!  The scribble level is the one that has given me a
headache.  I think I know what to do, but I can't stay away from all those
stinkin' critters!

Rick Klaus
HP Vancouver
rickk@hpvcfs1.hp.com

lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) (03/16/89)

In article <780001@hpvcfs1.HP.COM> rickk@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Rick Klaus) writes:

>The Daleks and Good Luck Levels are definitely do-able.  It just takes a
>couple of wild stunts!!  The scribble level is the one that has given me a
>headache.  I think I know what to do, but I can't stay away from all those
>stinkin' critters!
SPOILER

The snails are your most deadly enemy.

They are much better at tracking you down, but you can use that to your advantage.

First of all, get the two clovers and attract the first demon and get him to
follow you into the upper left hand corner.  Go clockwise around the pot of gold
and head for the first boulder.  Get to the right of it and push it until it just
hangs over the left end of the top shelf.  If you time it right the demon will
get in position where you can push the boulder on top of him.  Be careful not to
bump into the boulder and disintegrate it, you need it at the end.

Now comes the best part.  Go over to the other boulder at the top far right and
push it until it overhangs the right end of the shelf.  Be careful not to push it
against any creature.  WAIT until a demon (not a snail) comes up the path under
the boulder (the snails will be close by though) and push the boulder on top of
the demon.  Now, while the demon is going through his death throes, move ON TOP OF
THE BOULDER (but don't break it).  The stupid snails will try to get close to you,
i.e. they will stay under the boulder!  If you do this right you can usually kill
2 snails along with the demon.

Having done that, you need to push the first ball at the lower left into the slot.
Then disintegrate the ball that is stuck in the small depression, but wait for the
snail to get close to it.  Head directly for the ball that is on the left hand
ledge and wait for the snail to get into position and smash him.  The rest is
logic.  There is one more demon, but he is easy to avoid.

--

eynon@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Barry Eynon) (03/17/89)

In article <10763@bcsaic.UUCP> lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) writes:
>In article <780001@hpvcfs1.HP.COM> rickk@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Rick Klaus) writes:
>>
>>The Daleks and Good Luck Levels are definitely do-able.  It just takes a
>>couple of wild stunts!!  The scribble level is the one that has given me a
>>headache.  I think I know what to do, but I can't stay away from all those
>>stinkin' critters!
>SPOILER
>
>The snails are your most deadly enemy.
>
>They are much better at tracking you down, but you can use that to your
>advantage.
>
>First of all, get the two clovers and attract the first demon ...

 [ Description of how to deal with the troll, which is correct]

>Now comes the best part.  Go over to the other boulder at the top far right
>and push it until it overhangs the right end of the shelf...

 [ Description of how to smash the snails and one troglodyte]

It is entirely unnessesary to deal with the snails or the troglodytes at all
on this screen. In fact, I've seen people try an approach like this; it takes
forever for the trog and snails to get into position, and even then you still
have to luck out that the last two snails will move into position at the
right time. Have you actually been able to get this to work?

In any case, more thinking and less smashing is in order. There's even a clue
in the positioning of the original pieces. The only reason to open the door
to the critters is if you're greedy and want all the little gold pots.

-Barry Eynon
eynon@lindy.stanford.edu

RatRunner@cup.portal.com (Geoff RatRunner Crooks) (03/18/89)

WARNING!  SPOILER for SCRIBBLE LEVEL!!!

don't read on if you want to figure it out on your own!

An earlier post in this group gave a quite elaborate method of getting
through the scribble screen... however, it is really quite simple!
You never have to deal with the snails at all, unless you want to!
After killing the only Troll that can get to you (you know the one I
mean) by dropping the top boulder on him, go to the bottom by the pit
and just nudge the boulder there so that it overhands the pit... now
you just fill in the remainder of the hold with another boulder, push
another boulder across and drop it past the pedestal, and you can
move your Pot'O Gold safely onto the rainbow.  However, after getting
it all set up, it's more fun to run around and drop boulders onto the
scary monsters.  Have Fun!
Geoff.