[comp.sys.mac] Sumex Help?!?!?

dp22+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Bruce Pinkus) (03/18/89)

Hi all..

    Can you please direct me to an on-line help file concerning how to use
sumex, and other public archives of software..  I see people posting stuff
to this and comp.binaries, but I don't know how to use them.  Thanks.

|Dave Pinkus           |ARPAnet: dp22+@andrew.cmu.edu            |
|Social Sciences (IDS) |BITNET : Q109DP22@CMCCVB,                |
|Carnegie Mellon Univ. |         dp22%andrew@CMCCVB,             |
|Pittsburgh, PA        |(w/VMS)  JNET%"dp22%andrew@CMCCVB"       |
|  ** I need sleep **  |UUCP   : ...!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!dp22 |
+----------------------+-----------------------------------------+

mkent@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Marty Kent) (03/18/89)

In article <8Y8Jp9y00WB9QGsbtL@andrew.cmu.edu> dp22+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Bruce Pinkus) writes:
>Hi all..
>
>    Can you please direct me to an on-line help file concerning how to use
>sumex, and other public archives of software..  I see people posting stuff
>to this and comp.binaries, but I don't know how to use them.  Thanks.

The standard way I use sumex is to download the latest technical notes.
The way I do the download is to use FTP.  If you in fact have FTP on your
home system, you can proceed more or less as follows:
run ftp
connect to sumex.stanford.edu
login as "anonymous" - sumex will ask for your user name as a password
cd to info-mac - this is the top-level directory for mac stuff on sumex
examine the contents of directories with dir or ls
you'll see some readme* files in info-mac - use ftp to "get" them
use "bye" or "quit" to exit ftp
read the files for more info...

That's about it...

Marty Kent  	Sixth Sense Research and Development
		415/642 0288	415/548 9129
		MKent@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu
		{uwvax, decvax, inhp4}!ucbvax!mkent%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu
Kent's heuristic: Look for it first where you'd most like to find it.