[comp.sys.mac] Gatekeeper Problems!!!

jkoerbe@hubcap.UUCP (jon c koerber) (03/14/89)

  For a couple of weeks now I have had absolutely no success in using
Binhex, stuffit, or packit to dearchive files that I have downloaded from
various places (stanford, cms, upenn, simptel, comp.binaries).  It was
strange, because I used to have no problems whatsoever.  At first I thought
that my node here just had bad lines or very often (non-spurrious) errors.
Then After weeks of no successful downloading, I decided maybe it is my
problem.  Yesterday I hopped on my mac and using the Init-chooser began
removing Inits, control panel documents, etc... while at the same time trying
to un-stuff a file that I knew had no errors until it worked. Finally after
about a half hour The file Un-stuffed correctly (not that stuffit told me there
was any error before--it would just produce a file called "document"--no errs).
The culprit turned out to be an init called "Gatekeeper".  This problem may
have already circled around the net, and if it did, sorry I missed it.  But
for those of you out there running system 6.0.1 still, and using gatekeeper
with binhex or stuffit or packit for that matter , BEWARE!
  I found that If I want to temporarly disable Gatekeeper while doing any
kind of dearcing, I have no problems.

* Jon C. Koerber     |                                                     *
* Clemson University |           ________   _______   _______   _     _    *
* Clemson, S.C 29615 |          / _______) / ______) (__  ___) / )   / )   *
*=====================         / /_____   / /__        / /    / /___/ /    *
*  "You owe me sooo           (______  ) / ____)      / /    / ____  /     *
*    much money..."          _______/ / / /_____     / /    / /   / /      *
* JKOERBE@CLEMSON.UUCP      (________/ (_______)    (_/    (_/   (_/       *
* JKOERBE@CLEMSON.BITNET    =======================================        *

>  For a couple of weeks now I have had absolutely no success in using
>Binhex, stuffit, or packit to dearchive files that I have downloaded from
>various places (stanford, cms, upenn, simptel, comp.binaries).  It was
>strange, because I used to have no problems whatsoever.

>The culprit turned out to be an init called "Gatekeeper".  This problem may
>have already circled around the net, and if it did, sorry I missed it.  But
>for those of you out there running system 6.0.1 still, and using gatekeeper
>with binhex or stuffit or packit for that matter , BEWARE!

Beware? GateKeeper is doing exactly what it's supposed to do -- protect you
from viruses. Certain programs *have* to exhibit "virus-like" behavior, so
Gatekeeper needs to be taught to trust them. If you'd read the GateKeeper
documentation, it explicitly mentions StuffIt et all because they go in and
muck around with resources. This is why GateKeeper is programmable -- so you
can teach it which programs to trust.

A practical lesson in why you should never run software you don't
understand. This isn'g a problem with the System software OR GateKeeper.
It's pilot error. Read the documentation!

rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) (03/15/89)

Actually, the GateKeeper release notes say that you have to give "other file"
privileges to Stuffit or Binhex so that they can set the file type, creation
date, etc. of the files they're recovering.  I've had no problems with Stuffit
under GateKeeper.

Which version of Gatekeeper are you running?  I'm using 1.0, without any
problems (as long as I check periodically to make sure that I haven't denied
privileges to a program that needs them).  I had 1.1 installed for a while, and
it's definitely better, but it seemed to corrupt my Lightspeed Pascal projects,
so I got rid of it.  Maybe 1.1 has a conflict with Stuffit also (although I
doubt it; stuffit doesn't do anything that fancy with resources).

Note: I'm not absolutely sure that GateKeeper 1.1 was causing my problems, but
they went away after I got rid of it and recreated all my project files.

   Robert

nagel@blanche.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) (03/15/89)

In article <4774@hubcap.UUCP>, jkoerbe@hubcap (jon c koerber) writes:
|was any error before--it would just produce a file called "document"--no errs).
|The culprit turned out to be an init called "Gatekeeper".  This problem may

This happens because Stuffit, et. al. require file(other) permissions.
If you get the new version of Gatekeeper (1.1), you'll be able to
monitor what applications need what privileges and eventually allow it
to auto-prevent illegal accesses.  In the old version, it was veto
or nothing, causing problems such as you describe.  The *real* problems
are in the applications, though!  GateKeeper certainly points out
where programmers were lazy in detecting file/resource errors.

Mark Nagel @ UC Irvine, Department of Information and Computer Science
ARPA: nagel@ics.uci.edu     | The world is coming to an end.         |
UUCP: ucbvax!ucivax!nagel   |   Please log off.                      |

xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (03/15/89)

jkoerbe@hubcap.UUCP (jon c koerber) wrote:
  For a couple of weeks now I have had absolutely no success in using
Binhex, stuffit, or packit to dearchive files that I have downloaded
from
various places (stanford, cms, upenn, simptel, comp.binaries).  It was
strange, because I used to have no problems whatsoever.  At first I
thought

Are you running the latest version of GateKeeper ?  I have used it
extensively with StuffIt with absolutely no problem!  The latest version
is 1.1.  It was posted to comp.binaries.mac a short while ago.  It is
also available on sumex.  And be sure that you give
StuffIt/Binhex/PackIt some File other/Res other priviledge (I forgot
whether they need Res other though).

GateKeeper is completely safe (for me at least), provide that you follow
the author's instructions about testing, giving priviledges, etc.

Xiaoxia  Ye          INTERNET/BITNET/UUCP: xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Dartmouth College    For more info: finger xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

emb90619@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Eric M Berdahl) (03/15/89)

The documentation enclosed with Gatekeeper notes that BinHex, StuffIt, PackIt
and other programs do "virus-like" stuff according to Gatekeeper.  You must
therefore use the Gatekeeper cdev (Control Panel device) to grant permissions
to those programs.  This is given in some detail in the Gatekeeper instructions
packaged with the program (the MacWrite document, not the online help).

Eric M. Berdahl
PsiWare Software not inc.
emb90619@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) (03/17/89)

>A practical lesson in why you should never run software you don't
>understand. This isn'g a problem with the System software OR GateKeeper.
>It's pilot error. Read the documentation!

Let's not insult people on this net. Remember the Mac is the first popular
computer to recognize that users do not always want or have time to read
manuals.  Thus the phrase "pilot error" should be changed to "non-intuitive
interface".

Documentation SHOULD be read when there is a problem, but on
a complicated system with much interacting software (as with INITs, etc.),
it may be difficult to determine what program is causing trouble.  More
to the point, GateKeeper should have put up a message saying something like
"Operation XXX being attempted - not allowed" (as does Vaccine), and StuffIt
should error-check crucial operations and respond with "Operation XXX
failed".

This putting the user first is what excited most of us about the Mac in the
first place.  The old ways of writing a program just to perform a function,
and let the user beware should be falling by the wayside.  With the number of
different software programs used by individual users rising exponentially, it
seems, we programmers are need to think more about what the user may need
than expect him/her to figure us out.

emb90619@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Eric M Berdahl) (03/17/89)

In article <7492@boulder.Colorado.EDU> fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) writes:
>[deleted previous quote]
>
>Let's not insult people on this net. Remember the Mac is the first popular
>computer to recognize that users do not always want or have time to read
>manuals.  Thus the phrase "pilot error" should be changed to "non-intuitive
>interface".

Here here and 'nuff said.

>[deleted stuff about when dox should be consulted]
>to the point, GateKeeper should have put up a message saying something like
>"Operation XXX being attempted - not allowed" (as does Vaccine), and StuffIt
>should error-check crucial operations and respond with "Operation XXX
>failed".

Exactly!  In fact, GateKeeper 1.1 does do just that if you tell it to (by
choosing the correct radio button in the control panel).  StuffIt on the other
hand, well... maybe in the next release.  In fact, GK 1.1 is much improved
over the original.  Of course, one still needs to read dox to find the (AS
the author puts it) "programs from hell".
Eric M. Berdahl
PsiWare Software not inc.
emb90619@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

>>A practical lesson in why you should never run software you don't
>>understand. This isn'g a problem with the System software OR GateKeeper.
>>It's pilot error. Read the documentation!

>Let's not insult people on this net. Remember the Mac is the first popular
>computer to recognize that users do not always want or have time to read
>manuals.  Thus the phrase "pilot error" should be changed to "non-intuitive
>interface".

Yes and no. The reason I said what I did was because this person accused
GateKeeper of being broken -- in public -- when it was doing what it was
*supposed* to do. It was obvious that he not only didn't he read the
documentation, but he never even brought up the on-line help button (which
is about the size of Milwaukee).

Let me ask who was insulted here: the poster who bitched about GateKeeper
being broken for doing it's job, or Gatekeeer (and it's author, who happens
to also be on the net), who's program was vilified publicly by someone with
no idea what was going on.

Yes, I was harsh. But if you're going to open your mouth and make ugly
statements without any basis in fact, if you're too lazy to read the
documentation when you have problems, you should expect to get your
stupidity shoved back down your throat.

Look at an analagous situation: I buy a television. I don't read the
documentation, so I don't know I have to attach an antenna to it to get good
reception. My reception is horrible, so I publish an article in Consumer
Reports about what a rotten television this is. Who's at fault: the
television? The television manufacturer? Or the person stupid enough not to
know how to use the device *and* talk about it like an expert in public?

I don't think I gave anything out that wasn't deserved and wasn't already
tossed into the ring by the original poster. IF you're going to scream about
something on the net, know what you're talking about.

chrisj@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Johnson) (03/18/89)

In article <7492@boulder.Colorado.EDU> you write:
>>A practical lesson in why you should never run software you don't
>>understand. This isn'g a problem with the System software OR GateKeeper.
>>It's pilot error. Read the documentation!

Chuq's tone may have seemed a little terse, but his statement is correct.
It was pilot error - no insult intended, the user in question simply made
a mistake.  It happens to everyone.

GateKeeper can be installed without reading documentation since I distribute
it pre-configured in an "observation" mode in which it observes but does not
interfere with operations on your system.  I don't *recommend* installing it
without reading documentation, but that's another matter.

I do, however, find it odd that after running into problems with GateKeeper
that the user in question thought serious enough to merit a posting to the net,
that he did not also find the problem serious enough to merit an examination of
the GateKeeper documentation (either the release notes or the on-line help).

I am, as always, quite willing to receive email (or even normal mail) from
people having problems with GateKeeper.  I say so in the on-line help, and
even provide my email and US Mail addresses just to prove that I mean what I
say.  Unfortunately, some people choose to ignore my offer - I don't know
why.

>Let's not insult people on this net. Remember the Mac is the first popular
>computer to recognize that users do not always want or have time to read
>manuals.  Thus the phrase "pilot error" should be changed to "non-intuitive
>interface".

Yes, let's not insult people on the net - myself included.  Any complex
software is going to require a glance at the documentation at some point in
its use.  An example of this would PageMaker - one of nicest programs I've
ever seen - it's user interface is (to my mind) simple and elegant, but
nonetheless I had to make a brief excursion into my manuals when I wanted to
find out how to wrap text around graphics, or learn why I couldn't use the
image controls on an imported PICT image.  This is to be expected in complex
software - the proof that the user interface was doing it's job was that I
only needed to refer to the manual on the handful of occasions I did.

GateKeeper's user interface does it's job too - the fact that the user in
question could get something which exerts such fundamental control over the
operation of his system installed and operating on his system without
reference to the documentation proves it.  But the documentation is necessary
and is not a dispensable item.  The Mac was not designed by (or for) people who
decided that documentation was fundamentally wrong and shouldn't be used.  It
was designed to make computers easier to use - or, if you prefer, to make
computers (as much as possible) tools whose identities are determined by
the use to which they are put, as opposed to tools that attempt to mold the
operations they are charged with performing to their own identities.

And as to not forgetting that the Mac was intended to be easy to use, I assure
you there was no danger of my forgetting.  I bought my first Mac back in
1984 for that (and other) reasons.  Personally, I find this reminder somewhat
insulting.

>Documentation SHOULD be read when there is a problem, but on

No argument there.

>a complicated system with much interacting software (as with INITs, etc.),
>it may be difficult to determine what program is causing trouble.  More
>to the point, GateKeeper should have put up a message saying something like
>"Operation XXX being attempted - not allowed" (as does Vaccine), and StuffIt

Uhhh... GateKeeper DOES, DOES, DOES bring up alerts that say "GateKeeper
has monitored/vetoed an attempt by <ApplicationName> to violate <PrivilegeType>
against <VicitimName>."  It also mentions exactly what Toolbox/OS operation
was being used in the violation attempt and relates some of the more
relevant parameters for programmers who want to know exactly what's going on.
(Even more extensive information is written to the log file.)  This is VASTLY
more informative than ANY alert ever provided by Vaccine, and idependent of
such comparisons (which aren't the point here) it is also a succint and clear
indication of what GateKeeper is doing.

Of course, you won't see these alerts unless you're running System 6 or better
(GateKeeper utilizes the new Notification Manager) and have the "User Alerts"
option engaged in the settings area of the GateKeeper cdev.  This is all well
documented.  [I'm assuming here, that we're talking about GateKeeper 1.1,
by the way.]

>should error-check crucial operations and respond with "Operation XXX
>failed".

You can say that again - provided that you don't single out StuffIt, since
it's a widespread problem.

>This putting the user first is what excited most of us about the Mac in the
>first place.  The old ways of writing a program just to perform a function,
>and let the user beware should be falling by the wayside.  With the number of
>different software programs used by individual users rising exponentially, it
>seems, we programmers are need to think more about what the user may need
>than expect him/her to figure us out.

Good day, and happy computing,
----Chris Johnson
----Author of GateKeeper

P.S. I don't mean to sound mad with the user who posted the problem report
     from which all of this dialog suddenly sprang.  I don't think he dealt
     with the problem well, but I'd still like to invite him (and anyone
     else who has problems with GateKeeper) to send me email about those
     problems - I think you'll agree that I'm uniquely qualified to help.

fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) (03/19/89)

In article <27475@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

>Let me ask who was insulted here: the poster who bitched about GateKeeper
>being broken for doing it's job, or Gatekeeer (and it's author, who happens
>to also be on the net), who's program was vilified publicly by someone with
>no idea what was going on.

Everybody seems to be taking things a little too personally around here.
Describing a problem with a program is not an insult unless specific and
personal statements with value judgments are made (eg. the next quote).
Anyone who is a professional programmer knows that this is simply a part
of the job to respond to difficulties users have with a program (not a
favorite part of the job, I'll agree).

>Yes, I was harsh. But if you're going to open your mouth and make ugly
>statements without any basis in fact, if you're too lazy to read the
>documentation when you have problems, you should expect to get your
>stupidity shoved back down your throat.
>
>... the person stupid enough not to
>know how to use the device *and* talk about it like an expert in public?

These are unnecessarily inflammatory remarks that are in no way
appropriate for this newsgroup. I dont remember the exact words used in the
original posting, but they were nothing like this.

>I don't think I gave anything out that wasn't deserved and wasn't already
>tossed into the ring by the original poster. IF you're going to scream about
>something on the net, know what you're talking about.

The whole point of posting a question to the net is to get an answer to
learn what you're talking about.

I do agree that if the program in question can be identified, one should
read documentation first, and one should never "vilify" a program on the net
if you DONT know what you're talking about.

Nobody should be casting stones here.

I posted what I said about programmers paying attention to the users needs
and limitations because of a personal bias.  I have done graduate work in
human-computer communications and feel very strongly about getting the
machine to serve the user, much like a good teacher in a class who tells
you there are no stupid questions (even though there are, of course). In
the long run, this will hopefully reduce the computer paranoia among the
"illiterate" masses and make us all more productive (like the Mac was
supposed to do).

Hell, it may even generate more demand for more and better software, giving us
programmers job security unmatched even by Teamster's Union members. (Unless
those boys in reusable design environments, ala HyperCard, put programming in
the hands of the User - then we're all in for some trouble)

PS: One of main reasons the "illiterate" masses are that way (aside from
lack of equipment) is that the few times they've been on a computer, they
have been made to feel stupid by the machine (error messages like "Illegal
operation" instead of "I dont know what you mean by...", or no message at
all). Let's not contribute to this disincentive to computer use, unless we
want to maintain an elite of "smart" users only.

PPS: I received mail from the author of GateKeeper, Chris Johnson, who seems
genuinely willing to help and has done exactly as I suggested (better, even)
in providing alerts. Apparently these alerts run only under System 6, so that
the original user may not have had System 6 since he/she had to systematically
remove INITs to identify GateKeeper. If he did, I'm sure he's learned his
lesson from this net exchange.

GateKeeper is obviously an excellent program and service to the Mac community.

Richard Fozzard
University of Colorado				"Serendipity empowers"
fozzard@boulder.colorado.edu

fons@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (03/19/89)

  Has anyone else noticed that occasionally the GateKeeper 1.1
settings display gets corrupted?  I have noticed this when I open
GateKeeper several times.  It is not permanent however, when I
reboot, all the settings I gave it are fine and it works
normally.  I have not as of this point tried to reproduce the
conditions under which it occurs ... but was wondering if anyone
else had seen the problem.
 I am using 6.0.2 with a 5 MB Mac II, running the SUM SHIELD
init, Moire 2.12, MacEnvy (I should probably move this I know),
QuickKeys, SuitCase II, Kolor and Logout.  This is not (at the
moment anyway) really meant to serve as a serious bug report, but
rather an inquiry as to whether anyone else has seen the problem.
                                                        Paul Fons
                                        University of Illinois
                                        Coordinated Science Laboratory
                                        1101 W. Springfield Av.
                                        Urbana, Illinois 61801 U.S.A.
                              email:   Fons@uiucvmd.bitnet or...
                                        Fons@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu

billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (03/20/89)

In article <20200025@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> fons@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>  Has anyone else noticed that occasionally the GateKeeper 1.1
>settings display gets corrupted?  I have noticed this when I open
>GateKeeper several times.  It is not permanent however, when I
>reboot, all the settings I gave it are fine and it works
>normally.  I have not as of this point tried to reproduce the
>conditions under which it occurs ... but was wondering if anyone
>else had seen the problem.
> I am using 6.0.2 with a 5 MB Mac II, running the SUM SHIELD
>init, Moire 2.12, MacEnvy (I should probably move this I know),
>QuickKeys, SuitCase II, Kolor and Logout.  This is not (at the
>moment anyway) really meant to serve as a serious bug report, but
>rather an inquiry as to whether anyone else has seen the problem.
>                                                        Paul Fons

Happens to me all the time.  I have a 5 MB Mac II with a similar INIT setup,
but no Moire.
-Steve Bollinger