[comp.sys.mac] Quantum Q250/Startup CDEV on 512KE?

pfile@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Rob Pfile) (03/19/89)

I have a slight problem with a Quantum Q250 that I yanked out of my
Mac II and put in a box for use with a Mac 512KE which has been upgraded
to a Plus using Dove's SCSI + memory board.

THe problem is that I cant convince the Q250 to boot before the other
hard disk attached, a (slow but reliable) HD20 from Apple. The Q250
comes factory set to address 0. I would like the HD40 (th Q250) to
boot first, and so need to set the address up higher than the HD20
(which is easily settable)

Question: What is the Pinout for the Q250's jumper block?

A better solution to this problem is to use the Startup Device CDEV.
It doesnt work, probably since it decides that my mac is not a plus...
(ok, so it isnt, really...)

so,

does anyone know if the CDEV does check machine type?
does anyone know where this check is in the binary?
I should be able to just set it down to the ident for a 512KE, no?

even if I do this, Will it work?

Respond thru Email or the newsgroup, either is fine.

Thanks. I'd like to straighten this out.

Rob Pfile
pfile@cory.berkeley.edu
...!ucbvax!cory!pfile

root@radar.UUCP (Donn S. Fishbein) (03/20/89)

In article <11279@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> pfile@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Rob Pfile) writes:
>The Q250 comes factory set to address 0. I would like the HD40 to
>boot first, and so need to set the address up higher than the HD20
>(which is easily settable)
>
>Question: What is the Pinout for the Q250's jumper block?

From the Quantum Q200 series technical reference manual (81-45528),
look at the printed circuit board on the drive and identify 3 jumpers
labeled A2, A1 and A0. The 3 plugs establish a 3-bit binary number
with A2=4, A1=2, and A0=1. With no plugs in, the address is zero.
If you don't have any spare plugs, you can steal the one from location
P1. This plug is provided for just this purpose, and has no function.