[comp.sys.mac] Online documentation for Mac programming?

mkent@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Marty Kent) (03/18/89)

I'm interested in online documentation for Macintosh programming. Right
now all I have is the system errors DA, which is actually a bit of a help.
But I'm hoping for things like online listings of the Toolbox calls and
their arguments, or (this is something I'd really like) a listing of the
low-memory global names and addresses.

If you know of any utilities like this, please drop me a line.  I'll
summarize to the net after a week or so...

Marty Kent  	Sixth Sense Research and Development
		415/642 0288	415/548 9129
		MKent@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu
		{uwvax, decvax, inhp4}!ucbvax!mkent%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu
Kent's heuristic: Look for it first where you'd most like to find it.

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (03/20/89)

Try Steve Capps "Programmer's Online Companion".  It contains all of
IM I-V in an easily accessible and expandable library.  It is online all
the time, and pops up at the press of a button.

It is also fast.

One Problem: Mr. Capps decided to ignore a lot of design guidelines when
writing this software.  It works well, and I have had no conflicts with
any software as of yet... BUT the installer is horribly designed... it installs
an INIT directly into the System file.  Why it isn't a seperate INIT file
is beyond me.  (He also chose to ignore ShowInit and displays a mini-icon
in the lower left corner-- very annoying considering this was written after
Mercer's code)...

An excellent, and worthy product marred by a horrible installation application
and a couple of very stupid 'features'.

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

stores@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (03/21/89)

In article <28436@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mkent@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Marty Kent) writes:
>I'm interested in online documentation for Macintosh programming. Right
>now all I have is the system errors DA, which is actually a bit of a help.

There are two things that I use. One is an init "the Programmmers
on line companion" by Steve Capps. Version 2.0

The other is  "Inside Mac DA" by Bernard Gallet. This
crazy guy wrote a DA and typed in volumes 1 to 3 of inside
macintosh by himself! There are a few typo's but it is still
very useful. I don't know if the Inside mac is still available
because I heard that bernard didn't get an OK from apple for
distributing Copyrighted material. I maybe wrong.

Matthew Mora
SRI International                            stores@SRI.COM