[comp.sys.mac] Mac to IBM File Transfers

maddoxt@novavax.UUCP (Thomas Maddox) (01/30/89)

	Though I have been an IBM-compatible user, I soon will have
routine access to a Mac+ and a Mac SE at work.  I would very much like
to transfer files between the Mac(s) and my IBM-compatibles at home.

	Specifically, I use WordPerfect 5.0 at home on a Leading Edge
D and a Zenith SuperSport (someone else paid for it; I'm not that
flush), and I transfer files between them using Brooklyn Bridge.

	I know I will have Microsoft Word for the Mac at school; maybe
WordPerfect for the Mac (though I'd bet not).

	So, is there any easy or relatively easy or moderately
difficult way to transfer files among these machines?  Is there any
hope at all that I could create ASCII files on the Mac and read them
on the IBM-compatibles and vice-versa.

	In short, I want to be able to write in one environment, take
the files to the other, and continue working on them.  My immediate
concern is most definitely word processing files; other kinds, later.

	Post or e-mail as you see fit.  I have a feeling many people
are wrestling with this problem and similar ones these days.

		       Tom Maddox
	 UUCP: ...{ucf-cs|gatech!uflorida}!novavax!maddoxt

kgordon@pilot.njin.net (Ken Gordon) (01/30/89)

One simple solution, possibly not the cheapest though is to use the
Central Point Option Board Deluxe.  The cost is between $90 to $100.
You can save your document in ascii format, and the board will format
a disk in Mac format.  It will then port the ascii file in whichever
direction that you need.

According to the folks at Wordperfect, you can use the IBM version 5,
and the Apple version 1a of WordPerfect and transfer the data files
directly.  I haven't done this successfully (but in all fairness I
haven't devoted even minimal effort to the project).  The ascii
transfer works simply and quickly.  The board performs well.  Good
luck.
--Ken Gordon (kgordon@pilot.njin.net)

Standard Disclaimers:  I have no financial (or even personal) interest
in Central Point, or WordPerfect.  I just own and use thier products.

md32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Joseph Darweesh) (01/30/89)

The Apple File transfer program will put any Mac file onto a Ms Dos
disk and works especially well with text files.
any newly bought mac should come with the program.

Mike Darweesh
CMU Macintosh Users Group Treasurer
md32@andrew.cmu.edu

jmj@mhuxu.UUCP (J. M. Johnson) (01/30/89)

In article <962@novavax.UUCP>, maddoxt@novavax.UUCP (Thomas Maddox) writes:

> 	Though I have been an IBM-compatible user, I soon will have
> routine access to a Mac+ and a Mac SE at work.  I would very much like
> to transfer files between the Mac(s) and my IBM-compatibles at home.
>
> 	So, is there any easy or relatively easy or moderately
> difficult way to transfer files among these machines?  Is there any
> hope at all that I could create ASCII files on the Mac and read them
> on the IBM-compatibles and vice-versa.

I do this sort of thing all the time.  At work I use a MAC II with
VersaTerm-PRO to read Netnews postings.  I use Kermit on the UNIX machine
that I am tied into to download files to the MAC at work and my Tandy MS-DOS
machine at home.  I use a 12M removable cartrige drive to save all the files
I want to back up with the MAC.  If I have a file that I want to transfer
to my home computer, I just upload to the UNIX machine and download when I
get home.  If it is a text file from Macwrite, I save the file using the
"text only" option in the "save as..." menu selection.  Then I use text
kermit mode to transfer the file from the Mac to the UNIX machine then to
my Tandy.  For binary files, I use binary kermit for transfers.  I haven't
lost a bit yet.
--
       Life's just a game, you fly a paper plane, there is no end. - TBA

J. M. Johnson, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Reading, PA       ...!att!mhuxu!jmj

erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) (01/30/89)

In article <962@novavax.UUCP>, maddoxt@novavax.UUCP (Thomas Maddox) writes:
> 	Though I have been an IBM-compatible user, I soon will have
> routine access to a Mac+ and a Mac SE at work.  I would very much like
> to transfer files between the Mac(s) and my IBM-compatibles at home.
>
> 	Specifically, I use WordPerfect 5.0 at home on a Leading Edge
> D and a Zenith SuperSport (someone else paid for it; I'm not that
> flush), and I transfer files between them using Brooklyn Bridge.
                                                   ^^
                                             I haven't tried this...

> 	I know I will have Microsoft Word for the Mac at school; maybe
> WordPerfect for the Mac (though I'd bet not).
>
> 	So, is there any easy or relatively easy or moderately
> difficult way to transfer files among these machines?  Is there any
> hope at all that I could create ASCII files on the Mac and read them
> on the IBM-compatibles and vice-versa.

   The hope is there, the problem is the reading of the files,
due to different disk formats.  Using some form of communications
package may be the easiest route.

> 	In short, I want to be able to write in one environment, take
> the files to the other, and continue working on them.  My immediate
> concern is most definitely word processing files; other kinds, later.
>
> 	Post or e-mail as you see fit.  I have a feeling many people
> are wrestling with this problem and similar ones these days.
> 		       Tom Maddox
> 	 UUCP: ...{ucf-cs|gatech!uflorida}!novavax!maddoxt

I routinely transfer files between PCs at work and my Mac at home (and also
between Unix boxes at work and my Mac at home).  Most every word
processor on the Mac can save a file in ASCII text format.  Every Mac has
two serial ports on it.  If you can use a modem and transfer your files
serially over a phone line, you should have no problems.  I use FreeTerm
and Kermit on the Mac side.  Both will transfer text and binary files.
(FreeTerm supports XModem transfers).  Both are free.

You may find, though, that using straight ASCII text files means you
have to do formatting at both ends.  I know Microsoft Word supports
a text-encoding format called Rich Text Format (or RTF).  You can save
your Mac MS Word files in this format and then transfer the files across.

Apple also provides the Apple File Transfer package, which you will find
on one of the four System disks that came with the Mac (it is on one of the
Utilities disks, I believe).

Now, you may have a real problem if you cannot hook up the two machines
on a net, or by their serial ports.  The Mac disk format is rather
weird, as I believe it stores more information on the outer tracks
(most disks store the same amount of info on each track).  Therefore,
you usually need a hardware solution for reading Mac or IBM disks
(reading Mac disks on the IBM that is, or IBM disks on the Mac).
Central Point Software does sell a unit to aid this process.
There is another product, on the Mac, called Dyna File.  This is
essentially a PC disk drive.  Dyna can then read PC files and transfer
them to the Mac, or write Mac files in PC format on a PC disk.
Apple, too, sells a PC disk hardware package, last I heard.

Another option is that new Macs, specifically the IIx and SE/030,
have an Apple "Super" Drive, which can read and write IBM PC formatted
3.5" diskettes.

Other possibilities include
* AppleTalk Net -- Apple sells a PC AppleTalk card
* Ethernet
* Bringing in a PC and directly hooking it up to the Mac's serial port
(since you stated you do not own the Macs, you may have trouble
changing their configuration), and transfering the files this way.
* If you cannot bring Mohammed to the Mountain...perhaps you can bring
 Mac home for an evening, and then transfer the files over.

To summarize, the easiest way to transfer files from the Mac and the
PC is to hook them up over a serial link, as most PCs and all Macs
have serial ports.  Free telecommunications software exists for both
machines.  Since the mac disk format is wildy different from the PC
format, any means to read or write the disks directly will involve some
special hardware.  Along the same lines, any networking solution will
involve some special hardware (unless, of course, the net is already
set up).

ASCII text files are the easiest files to transfer. regardless of the
transfer medium, but you then lose any formatting information.  Microsoft's
RTF files are one option to preserve the formatting.  Apple's File Transfer
package is another.  Word Perfect (which you state you have on the PC
side) may be able to read other file formats (or RTF directly).

Hope this helps and I wish you luck,
-Eric

--
Eric F. Johnson          | Phone +1 612-894-0313             | Are we
Prime Automation,Inc     | UUCP:   bungia!pai!erc            | having

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (02/01/89)

In article <Jan.29.23.57.30.1989.9391@pilot.njin.net> kgordon@pilot.njin.net (Ken Gordon) writes:
=One simple solution, possibly not the cheapest though is to use the
=Central Point Option Board Deluxe.  The cost is between $90 to $100.

Caveat emptor!!  My wife has two of these boards -- one in a PS/2 - mod 30,
and one in an XT clone -- and they do not work reliably.  There are
floppy drives that are incompatible with the Copy II PC Deluxe Option
Board, and potentially, certain controllers may play a part.  We have
gotten a level of reliability with the PS/2 but the XT clone has been a
disaster area so far.  CP has just sent her an upgrade to their
software, so we will try that next.
=
=According to the folks at Wordperfect, you can use the IBM version 5,
=and the Apple version 1a of WordPerfect and transfer the data files
=directly.

4.2 also works with MAC WordPerfect.

Pete

--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (02/04/89)

In article <595@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>In article <Jan.29.23.57.30.1989.9391@pilot.njin.net> kgordon@pilot.njin.net (Ken Gordon) writes:
>=One simple solution, possibly not the cheapest though is to use the
>=Central Point Option Board Deluxe.  The cost is between $90 to $100.
>
>Caveat emptor!!  My wife has two of these boards -- one in a PS/2 - mod 30,
>and one in an XT clone -- and they do not work reliably.  There are
>floppy drives that are incompatible with the Copy II PC Deluxe Option
>Board, and potentially, certain controllers may play a part.  We have
>gotten a level of reliability with the PS/2 but the XT clone has been a
>disaster area so far.  CP has just sent her an upgrade to their
>software, so we will try that next.
>=

>Pete

While this is definitely a possible problem, be aware that borderline
mac drives can also be a problem.  My brother was having repeated problems
with his setup, even though the mac seemed to be working fine alone.

then disks written on his internal drive started to be unreadable on his
external.  We got the internal swapped and now all is well, and the
pc option card also has no more problems.

Josh

-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (02/06/89)

in article <962@novavax.UUCP>, maddoxt@novavax.UUCP (Thomas Maddox) says:

> 	Though I have been an IBM-compatible user, I soon will have
> routine access to a Mac+ and a Mac SE at work.  I would very much like
> to transfer files between the Mac(s) and my IBM-compatibles at home.
>
> 	Specifically, I use WordPerfect 5.0 at home on a Leading Edge
> D and a Zenith SuperSport (someone else paid for it; I'm not that
> flush), and I transfer files between them using Brooklyn Bridge.
>
> 	I know I will have Microsoft Word for the Mac at school; maybe
> WordPerfect for the Mac (though I'd bet not).
>
> 	So, is there any easy or relatively easy or moderately
> difficult way to transfer files among these machines?  Is there any
> hope at all that I could create ASCII files on the Mac and read them
> on the IBM-compatibles and vice-versa.
>
> 	In short, I want to be able to write in one environment, take
> the files to the other, and continue working on them.  My immediate
> concern is most definitely word processing files; other kinds, later.

There are really two issues here - physically transfering a file from
one disk format to another and the file format itself. In terms of file
formats, the easiest solution is to use a word processor found on both
machines, either Word or WordPerfect. The files will then be
compatible and you won't lose your formatting. ASCII files can be read
by either machine. The drawback is that word processing formatting is
lost.

The physical transfer can be done in a number of ways. The cheapest
solution is to physically connect the two machines using a product
like LapLink, that provides cables and software. Other, costlier
solutions include a DaynaFile, a Macintosh SCSI device that contains
one or two MS-DOS disk drives and then mounts them like Macintosh
volumes. The DaynaFile runs between $500 and $1000; it's a simple,
elegant solution. However LapLink runs about $139 and isn't difficult
to use. The problem is that the two machines have to be physically
close to each other.

If you have telecommunications on both machines, files can also be
transfered by modem over the telephone lines.

Hope this helps.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: husc6!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

car@pte.UUCP (Chris Rende) (02/07/89)

I need to do some file transfers too...

Could someone please mail the pinout of the Mac's RS232 port to me?

And... if you have it... the printer port pinout too...

Thanks,

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende                Multics,DTSS,Shortwave,Scanners,StarTrek
uunet!edsews!{rphroy!}pte!car       Minix,PC/XT,TRS-80 Model I: Buy Sell Trade

mattp@oakhill.UUCP (Matt Pressly) (02/07/89)

In article <703@stech.UUCP> sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:

> In terms of file
>formats, the easiest solution is to use a word processor found on both
>machines, either Word or WordPerfect. The files will then be
>compatible and you won't lose your formatting.

Wrong.  Word on the IBM and Word on the Macintosh (4.0 and 3.0x,
respectively) do not use the same file format.  Word on the Macintosh does
have the capability to import documents created under the MS-DOS version of
Word, but the transfer cannot be performed in the other direction because it
is not possible to separate the style sheet from a document created under
the Mac version.  Since the MS-DOS version requires style sheets and
documents to be two separate files, Macintosh Word documents are basically
worthless on the PC -- you can do a transfer, but you lose all formatting
and get garbage added to the file, so you might as well transfer straight
ASCII files.  The new versions of Word on both IBMs and Macs may straighten
out this problem.  I don't know if the same problem exists for WordPerfect,

--
address: mattp@oakhill

kaldis@topaz.rutgers.edu (Theodore A. Kaldis) (02/08/89)

I would like to do file transfers from an IBM PC to the Mac also.  But
what I would like to do is to import text files into MacWrite.  Does
MacWrite accommodate (or even allow) text files to be imported?

Bringing the files over to the Mac from the PC is not a problem for
me, and neither is maintaining proper formatting of the files an
issue.  But what is the best way for this to be done?  Do end-line
characters have to be adjusted?  (What is the end-line character for
the Mac, anyway?)

Please email responses.
--
              Theodore A. Kaldis                      |  "Perhaps we may
              +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-                      |   frighten away

johnw@stud.uucp (John Wiederhold) (02/08/89)

MacLinkPlus by DataVis, is a preaty good transfer/translation
program for Mac <--> IBM file transfers.  It has software for
both the IBM and Mac that lets it transfer at 56700 baud over
a direct serial connection, and at slower speeds over modems.

The translation takes place on the Mac.  It includes translators
for most common IBM and Mac packages (unfortunely I think it only
supports version 4.2 not 5.0 of WordPerfect, but you can save
5.0 documents in a 4.2 format).  The translators are compatible
with Apple's "Apple file Exchange".

-John Wiederhold
johnw@stud.stanford.edu

Derk@cup.portal.com (DERK ALLEN GATES) (02/09/89)

I do more work with transfering graphics rather than text files to/from IBM an
Mac so I'm not up on the compatiblity of the word processor files.  I can
help with the hardware transfer though...  I have a Central Point "Deluxe
Copy II board" in my PC, with a 3.5 and a 1.2meg floppy(and a HD).  The board
let's me not only copy my protected IBM diskettes, as it's original intension,
but it will swap files to/from Mac and IBM formats.
	I have the Copy II subdirectory on my hard drive in my path so all I
do is add an "M" to my DOS commands. (I.E. MDIR, MCOPY...)  I can even format
Mac diskettes on my PC!
	supposedly the board will even duplicate Apple II, C-64 and Atari disk
although I haven't tried it yet.
	I found a good deal on the board for $99 on sale.  It's well worth
that.  If you have questions, please feel free to contact me.

			Derk Gates@cup.portal.com

lbilccss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Lawrence Bilker) (02/10/89)

MacLink is probably the best solution for Mac to IBM and IBM to Mac File
Transfers.  It has the ability to be used over a direct connection or by
remote modem.  The files are transferred via a "folder" for each machine and
directory.  It will also convert file formats (i.e. IBM Microsoft Word to
Mac Microsoft Word and Visa versa).

For more information contact me via address (email or otherwise) below.

Lawrence Bilker

Lawrence A. Bilker                 		US-MAIL:
Internet: lbilccss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu      	University of Rochester
Bitnet: LBIL_SS@UORDBV     			River Station
UUCP: {cmcl2!decvax!}!rochester!ur-cc!lbilccss	P.O. Box 29689
AT&T: 716/274-4175 				Rochester, NY  14627-5689

bluebum@westfort.UUCP (Blues Bum) (02/12/89)

This Copy II board sounds incredible. I just recently was informed by several
people that there was no way to move disks themselves from IBM to Mac. Do you
know of anything that will allow similar chameleon-like behavior originating
on the Mac side?

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (02/13/89)

The new Mac SE/30 will read and write IBM formatted disks.
--
Bill Wilson                          (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm)
Northern AZ Univ

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (02/16/89)

In article <1160@naucse.UUCP> wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) writes:
<The new Mac SE/30 will read and write IBM formatted disks.
<--

As long as they are 3 1/2-inch diskettes. There are also some 5 1/4-inch
drives you can attach to the Mac to read IBM diskettes in these sizes.
Try Apple and Dayna.

Shirley Kehr

stevenf@wpi.wpi.edu (Steven Fernandez) (03/21/89)

	Could somebody tell me where on the net I can get IBM files? I am
specifcaly looking for the lattest shareware version of Procomm. Thanks
in advance.

			Steve

--
| Steven Fernandez              | Genie: s.fernandez                         |
| WPI BOX 2198                  | CSNET:stevenf%wpi.wpi.edu@relay.cs.net     |