[comp.sys.mac] GateKeeper bug information

chrisj@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Johnson) (03/21/89)

In article <20200025@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> fons@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>  Has anyone else noticed that occasionally the GateKeeper 1.1
>settings display gets corrupted?  I have noticed this when I open
>GateKeeper several times.  It is not permanent however, when I
>reboot, all the settings I gave it are fine and it works
>normally.  I have not as of this point tried to reproduce the
>conditions under which it occurs ... but was wondering if anyone
>else had seen the problem.

I've seen the problem, too.  I'm afraid it falls into the "known bug"
category.  To be more specific, the fact that this can happen is known, but
the cause of it is not.  I've encountered it twice in all the months of
development I've spent on GateKeeper.  A number of my testers also encountered
it on rare occasions, but no-one seems to have found a method for reproducing
the bug, so it's been *exceedingly* difficult to track down (and not for
lack of trying, I assure you).

Anyone who can provide me information on the circumstances under which this
bug is encountered is encouraged to contact me with all available details.

While we're on the subject of bugs, it may be of interest to someone out
there to know that the "Fundamental Incompatibility" between GateKeeper and
Fontsie (and the Flex screensaver) does not appear to be a problem in either
piece of software.  No, the problem lies in (or is brought to light by)
the ShowCINIT code included in the GateKeeper resource file to draw the
GateKeeper startup icon.  If you've had trouble with either of the aforemen-
tioned pieces of software, or if you use Nutmeg display products, you may
find it very helpful to delete 'INIT' resource 0, named "ShowCINIT by Sternlicht
and Diaz".  The startup icon will disappear, but so will these problems.
There's no reason to remove the 'INIT' if you aren't encountering these
problems.

Hope this helps, and do please let me know if you're able to reproduce the
garbled-list bug.
----Chris Johnson
----Author of GateKeeper