[comp.sys.mac] SCSI Interleave and Transportability

syap@cc.rochester.edu (James Fitzwilliam) (03/21/89)

At home I use a Mac Plus with a MacConnection 20Meg drive manufactured by
Rodime.  A few days ago I wanted to use the drive and its data at work for
a demonstration we were giving, on a standard Mac II.  The dreaded "Disk
Unreadable -- Initialize?" dialog appeared, with the correct icon for my
drive.  As far as I can tell from the manuals for the drive, the installer
is specific to the Mac Plus, meaning that the interleave for the drive is
probably 1:3.  I had been under the impression that while 1:1 drives were
too quick for a Plus, slower interleaves were usable but less than optimal
for the II.  This appears not to be the case.  Is there any way that the
same hard drive could be used both on a Plus and a II without reformatting?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

					James Fitzwilliam

| possible path: ...!rochester!vera!syap      |                            |
|        domain: syap@vera.cc.rochester.edu   |     "Piano is my forte"    |
|         GEnie: FITZWILLIAM                  |                            |

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (03/22/89)

In article <1142@ur-cc.UUCP> syap@vera.cc.rochester.edu (James Fitzwilliam) writes:
>At home I use a Mac Plus with a MacConnection 20Meg drive manufactured by
>Rodime.  A few days ago I wanted to use the drive and its data at work for
>a demonstration we were giving, on a standard Mac II.  The dreaded "Disk
>Unreadable -- Initialize?" dialog appeared, with the correct icon for my
>drive.  As far as I can tell from the manuals for the drive, the installer

Don't blame your interleave.  I run my Cirrus drive on both my Plus
and a IIx.  The drive is formatted for the Plus's best performance, I
figure it needs as much help as possible.

Try to get newer formatting software, or the shareware (pay-with-your-
blood) driver that Vishniac (sp?) wrote, or one of the commercial
packages (like the SilverLining the comes with Cirrus drives).

Do worry about other software incompatibilities.  Booting off a disk
which has Autoblack installed will give a II coniptions, for example.
If you run with a zillion INITs you must consider a zillion things
which can go wrong (I do, I have).

If you persist you will be able to get this to work--but first:

	Backup Your Disk.

You are heading into dangerious waters about now.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
...!hscfvax!lloyd!kent