[comp.sys.mac] MiniWriter Script Manager compatible?

ELFJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (03/21/89)

I've heard that MiniWriter is script manager compatible, ie, it will work
properly with foreign interface systems such as Arabic, Chinese, Kanji,
etc.  Can anyone verify this?  Is MiniWriter still shareware?  Where can
one get it and how much is the shareware fee?

The only script manager compatible word processor I've found available in
this country is WinText, created in France and marketed here be Paradigm
Computer Services, PO Box 1607, Cambridge, MA 02238.  It costs $195.  Has
anyone used it?

Any info will be much appreciated.

Linda Iroff
Humanities Computing
Cornell University
elfj@crnlvax5.bitnet
elfj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (03/22/89)

In article <8903201734.AA15613@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, ELFJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:
> I've heard that MiniWriter is script manager compatible, ie, it will work
> properly with foreign interface systems such as Arabic, Chinese, Kanji,
> etc.  Can anyone verify this?  Is MiniWriter still shareware?  Where can
> one get it and how much is the shareware fee?

	MiniWriter is script manager compatible, but not SM aware. (sounds like
MF doesn't it..)  Let me explain what I mean...  Miniwriter, because it uses
the old fashioned TextEdit (which Apple make sure was, though note that the
new styled TE is NOT SM compat!), will work just fine with Script Interface
systems so that you can do your Arabic, Kanji, etc. word processing using it.
HOWEVER it is not SM aware and so when changing fonts, your interface will
not change nor the other way around (which should happen with a SM aware appl.)
and searching may not work either (though I have not tried).

> The only script manager compatible word processor I've found available in
> this country is WinText, created in France and marketed here be Paradigm
> Computer Services, PO Box 1607, Cambridge, MA 02238.  It costs $195.  Has
> anyone used it?

	There is also a product called Rav K'tav being marketed by Davka Corp.
of Chicago which also is SM compat (though they strictly market it as a Hebrew
word processor) and is about $295.  It is more powerful than WinText in many
regards (like it does footnotes for one!) but is also not my dream word
processor and is COPY PROTECTED!!  Oh well..

> Any info will be much appreciated.

	No problem...

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025