[comp.sys.mac] Nubus proto boards

bloomer@dspuv2.steinmetz (john bloomer) (03/22/89)

we've all seen lots of PC AT/XT bus support for prototyping h/w
even with decoder logic etc on-board.  does the same exist for the
Nubus - or does the complexity of the slot manager etc. make it the
real challenge?  what i really want is a Nubus form factor board,
at least an application note to help getting on and off the bus, and
a start at some LightSpeed C support code. if it comes w/ decoder
logic etc., all the better.  my application requires reading and
writing 1MHz 16-bit parallel words, watching a timer (VIA) and logging
results.  i would rather not buy a national or GW instruments board - they
do more than i need, with an emphasis on conversion, and are slow.

somebody please help me out - i don't want to buy another IBM!^%$#^#

john bloomer

ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) (03/22/89)

In article <13389@steinmetz.ge.com> jbloomer@mozart.steinmetz.Ge.Com (john bloomer) writes:
>we've all seen lots of PC AT/XT bus support for prototyping h/w
>even with decoder logic etc on-board.  does the same exist for the
>Nubus - or does the complexity of the slot manager etc. make it the
>real challenge?  what i really want is a Nubus form factor board,
>at least an application note to help getting on and off the bus, and
>a start at some LightSpeed C support code. if it comes w/ decoder
>logic etc., all the better.  my application requires reading and
>writing 1MHz 16-bit parallel words, watching a timer (VIA) and logging
>results.  i would rather not buy a national or GW instruments board - they
>do more than i need, with an emphasis on conversion, and are slow.

This comes up often enough that I'll post in addition to e-mailing my
reply.

Yes, several companies make such boards.  The one that I can point you
to off the top of my head is Creative Solutions, Inc.  They've been at
this as long as anybody: they were offering boards at the first Boston
MacWorld after the Mac II intro.  Their memorable phone number is
1-800-FORTH-OK.  Besides boards with a minimal NuBus interface, they
also sell a variety of complete boards with stuff like serial ports
and parallel ports on them.

Ephraim Vishniac  /  Internet: ephraim@think.com  / AppleLink: ThinkingCorp
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

	"Arlo Guthrie, it seems, has found what he was looking for:
		God, and the Macintosh." (Boston Globe)