[comp.sys.mac] Communications s/w

omullarn@oracle.uucp (Oliver Mullarney) (03/14/89)

We have been having some problems with NSCA Telnet communications software.
We are running a number of Macs over phonenet linked into an ethernet
network via a Kinetics Fastpath box.
Problem is that Telnet seems to be riddled with bugs - crashes the Mac like
there was no tomorrow. It also does weird things to the keyboard. I would be
happier using VersaTerm or Red Ryder or some such (reliable) terminal emulator.

Anyone know if any of these can be set up to run through the Kinetics box?

V. grateful for any help -

 Cheers

  Oliver

akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Atul Kacker) (03/14/89)

In article <776@oracle.oracle.com> omullarn@oracle.com (Oliver Mullarney) writes:
>We have been having some problems with NSCA Telnet communications software.
>We are running a number of Macs over phonenet linked into an ethernet
>network via a Kinetics Fastpath box.
>Problem is that Telnet seems to be riddled with bugs - crashes the Mac like
>there was no tomorrow. It also does weird things to the keyboard.

That's strange.  We use NCSA Telnet over a Phonenet/Kinetics connection and
haven't encountered any of the "bugs" you mention.  We use it on Mac+'s,
Mac SE's and Mac II with several zones on our global network and have yet to
see the system crashing "like there was no tomorrow".  What version of the
system software are you using and what version of Telnet?

>I would be
>happier using VersaTerm or Red Ryder or some such (reliable) terminal emulator.

I'm sorry but Red Ryder doesn't do anywhere as decent job of terminal emulation
as Telnet.

--
Atul Kacker  |     Internet: akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

rht@smsdpg.uu.net (Randy Thompson) (03/14/89)

From article <776@oracle.oracle.com>, by omullarn@oracle.uucp (Oliver Mullarney):

> We have been having some problems with NSCA Telnet communications software.
> We are running a number of Macs over phonenet linked into an ethernet
> network via a Kinetics Fastpath box.
> Problem is that Telnet seems to be riddled with bugs - crashes the Mac like
> there was no tomorrow. It also does weird things to the keyboard. I would be
> happier using VersaTerm or Red Ryder or some such (reliable) terminal emulator

Interesting problem. I have been running NCSA Telnet now for about 3 months
on a PhoneNET network and over a GatorBox with almost no problems at all.
I have never had a crash or a keyboard problem. The only problem that I have
experienced is with the FTP implementation.

You might want to double check your config files, or, if you like, I could
e-mail you a copy of mine so that you can compare the two.

Make sure you are not doubling up on the IP addresses!

Randy Thompson (uunet!smsdpg!rht)

timk@zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu (03/15/89)

/* ---------- "Re: Communications s/w" ---------- */
In article <776@oracle.oracle.com> omullarn@oracle.com (Oliver Mullarney) writes:
>We have been having some problems with NSCA Telnet communications software.
>We are running a number of Macs over phonenet linked into an ethernet
>network via a Kinetics Fastpath box.
>Problem is that Telnet seems to be riddled with bugs - crashes the Mac like
>there was no tomorrow. It also does weird things to the keyboard.

I clipped this from a response and don't have the base note.  I will
admit to a couple of bugs, but usually crashes are due to incorrect
installation.  The installation is quite tricky and Apple's MacTCP
should help with that, Kinetics K-Star software is helping too.

The keyboard mapping is for compatibility with machines which have no
control key.  Turn off control key mapping to retain your keyboard
layout.

Some version number information would help, the current release of
NCSA Telnet for the Macintosh is version 2.2, it has been running fine
on System 5.0 or later, all Macs with > 1MB of memory.

Tim Krauskopf
NCSA

pasek@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (03/16/89)

In article <205@smsdpg.uu.net> rht@smsdpg.uu.net (Randy Thompson) writes:
>From article <776@oracle.oracle.com>, by omullarn@oracle.uucp (Oliver Mullarney):
>>
>> We have been having some problems with NSCA Telnet communications software.
>> Problem is that Telnet seems to be riddled with bugs - crashes the Mac like
>> there was no tomorrow. It also does weird things to the keyboard.
>
>Interesting problem. I have been running NCSA Telnet now for about 3 months
>on a PhoneNET network and over a GatorBox with almost no problems at all.
[only the relevant parts of above are included]

We also are using NCSA Telnet 2.2 thru a GatorBox to get to a Sun (straight
LocalTalk as opposed to PhoneNet, though).  I must agree with Oliver, NCSA
Telnet seems to have some severe bugs.  Most of these seem to happen AFTER
you have closed a connection and re-opened it.  I have one particular set
of events that I can GUARANTEE will cause a System Error ID=01.  The
machines we are using are MacII's w/4+ meg of RAM.  System Software is 5.0.
The bomb occurs both with & without Multifinder and with & without any
'non-standard' INITs or CDEVs.  What I would like to see is a combination
of NCSA Telnet and Kermit, particularly the feature of Kermit that lets you
program your keys to be ANYTHING (we access an IBM mainframe through the Sun,
and need to emulate a 3270 -- when we asked NCSA how we could get the Mac's
F5-F12 keys to generate anything other than the fixed assignment NCSA Telnet
gives them, the response was "How many function keys on a VT102 ?  I count 4.")

Just my $.02 worth.

M. A. Pasek          Switching Software Development          NCR Comten, Inc.
(612) 638-7668              CNG Development                2700 N Snelling Ave.
pasek@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM                                Roseville, MN  55113

timk@zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu (03/21/89)

I have requested more information on the sequence which bombs NCSA
Telnet version 2.2.  We attempt to fix and append to the bug list, all
sequences of events which can crash NCSA Telnet.

So if you and anyone else knows how to crash it, please report to
telbug@ncsa.uiuc.edu like everyone else does.

Tim Krauskopf
NCSA

kdb@lts.UUCP (Kurt D. Baumann) (03/23/89)

In article <1172@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM> pasek@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:

>What I would like to see is a combination
>of NCSA Telnet and Kermit, particularly the feature of Kermit that lets you
>program your keys to be ANYTHING (we access an IBM mainframe through the Sun,
>and need to emulate a 3270 -- when we asked NCSA how we could get the Mac's
>F5-F12 keys to generate anything other than the fixed assignment NCSA Telnet
>gives them, the response was "How many function keys on a VT102 ?  I count 4.")

I don't know if this is of any help but there are several versions of NCSA
that may help you out.

There is a commercial version called TCP/Connect that contains the following
features that you might find useful:

IBM 3278
VT 240/241 (regis)
Multiple sessions of the above
FTP Client/Server (looks like it oughta on a Mac)
Misc. other items

There are also a couple of PD versions.  One that was recently announced that
allows a 3270 session, but only one at a time.  Also Brown University has a
version that allows 3279 emulation, but here again only one session at a time.

I am not sure where the PD versions can be FTPed from (I am sure someone here
will know that).  Information about the commercial version can be gotten by
sending me mail.
--
Kurt Baumann			...!uunet!lts!kdb / lts!kdb@uunet.uu.net
			  InterCon, 11732 Bowman Green Drive, Reston, VA 22090