[comp.sys.mac] Need Info on 3rd party fans for the MAC SE

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (03/17/89)

Well, it had to happen I guess.  My Mac SE (bought March 19, 1987) has begun
having screen jitter.  I had heard about this problem before, but I had never
really experienced it.  But now, it is becoming quite annoying.  I'm figuring
that it is probably the fan, so I thought I would take it in for a replacement
and upgrade to the new, quiter SE fan.

However, I have called one dealership, and they said it will cost me $90 in
parts and labor to have the fan replaced!  I thought that the upgrades were
free for screen jitter/fan problems.  I was therefore, thinking about buying
a third party SE fan and replacing it myself!  MacWarehouse sells the "SE
Silencer" fan, by Mobius Products, for $39.  (I'll need to buy a MAC SNAP tool
kit to get in and replace it though.  At an additional cost of $15.)

My questions are:  Do any of you know how good the SE Silencer is?  Do you have
any other recommendations for Mac fans?  How easy/safe is it to take apart and
replace the fan?  (Note:  I have taken apart AT&T PC 6300's to replace memory
ships, and I've taken apart AT&T 3B2s to replace serial port cards, but that's
about it.)  Don't dealers still do these replacements free?  What should I
be careful of if I do decide to open up my Mac and replace the fan myself?

I would appreciate any comments that you can provide.

Thanks.

						Jim Collymore

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (03/23/89)

J. Collymore writes:
>Well, it had to happen I guess.  My Mac SE (bought March 19, 1987) has begun
>having screen jitter. [etc., and dealer wants $90 to fix it]

Call back your dealer and tell them to look again. Don't mention the fan at
all, just the screen jitter. *That* problem rates a free fix, but the fan
does not. (It just so happens that fixing the jitter involves replacing the
fan...)

Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.uucp