[comp.sys.mac] GatorBox : Is it the fourth quarter of 1988 yet?

cordy@qucis.queensu.CA (Jim Cordy) (03/23/89)

In our brand new GatorBox 1.14 documentation it says that the
capability to print on a PostScript-based printer attached to the
Unix box will be coming in GatorBox software V2.0, "to be supplied
to GatorBox users in the fourth quarter of 1988".

Well, Cayman, I'm a GatorBox user, and I want it.
Where is it?  The software with my box says its either 1.14
or 1.25, depending on where you look.

Jim Cordy		Cordy@QueensU.CA
Queen's University	Cordy@Qucis.BITNET
Kingston, Canada

pasek@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (03/24/89)

In article <181@qusunitf.queensu.CA> cordy@qucis.queensu.CA (Jim Cordy) writes:
>In our brand new GatorBox 1.14 documentation it says that the
>capability to print on a PostScript-based printer attached to the
>Unix box will be coming in GatorBox software V2.0, "to be supplied
>to GatorBox users in the fourth quarter of 1988".

My brand new GatorBox (February, 1989) mentions no dates for this feature, but
the V1.25 Release Notes state that the capability to print to an AppleTalk
LaserWriter from the Ethernet-attached UNIX machine will be available in
Version 1.5, "at the end of first quarter 1989".

Actually, I don't care one way or the other, since we have LaserWriters in both
places.  What I could really use is the capability to do character substitution
for the "illegal characters in filename".  If I have a Mac file like "Memo -
3/19/89", I can't ship that to a UNIX machine, and the GatorBox software will
correctly prevent me from doing that.  Why couldn't it let me specify that for
all occurrences of "/", replace it with "-", or something similar ?

Only opinions.  I think the GatorBox is easy to use and VERY transparent.
In reading some of the problems people have with KFPs, I'm glad that someone
attacked the Mac<->UNIX/Ethernet problem from the MAC perspective.

M. A. Pasek          Switching Software Development         NCR Comten, Inc.
(612) 638-7668              CNG Development               2700 N. Snelling Ave.
pasek@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM                               Roseville, MN  55113