[comp.sys.mac] FullWrite mystery file

johnd@phred.UUCP (03/23/89)

My hard disk crashed yesterday, but fortunately I was able to save all my
files except one using Symantec Utilities.  Great program, by the way.
Anyway, as I was going through the rescued files, I ran into a large (215K)
file named VM7173949.  It's creator was FWRT (FullWrite) and it's type
is FWVM.  What is this?  I can't open it and I'd like to get rid of it
if I don't need it, but I can't figure out how to tell what it is.

Any ideas?

>Anyway, as I was going through the rescued files, I ran into a large (215K)
>file named VM7173949.  It's creator was FWRT (FullWrite) and it's type
>is FWVM.  What is this?  I can't open it and I'd like to get rid of it
>if I don't need it

Zap it. It's just a temporary file that FullWrite uses to implement the disk
side of its virtual memory scheme.

Chuq Von Rospach       -*-      Editor,OtherRealms      -*-      Member SFWA
chuq@apple.com  -*-  CI$: 73317,635  -*-  Delphi: CHUQ  -*-  Applelink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

USENET: N. A self-replicating phage engineered by the phone company to cause
computers to spend large amounts of their owners budget on modem charges.

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (03/24/89)

In article <2512@phred.UUCP> johnd@phred.UUCP writes:

>My hard disk crashed yesterday, but fortunately I was able to save all my
>files except one using Symantec Utilities.  Great program, by the way.
>Anyway, as I was going through the rescued files, I ran into a large (215K)
>file named VM7173949.  It's creator was FWRT (FullWrite) and it's type
>is FWVM.  What is this?  I can't open it and I'd like to get rid of it
>if I don't need it, but I can't figure out how to tell what it is.
>
>Any ideas?

It's a temporary file that didn't get deleted when the system crashed.  As
far as I know it's not good for anything except while FullWrite is running.

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
hollander@ti.com

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.