[comp.sys.mac] Don't buy Hard disks from CMS, they

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (02/24/89)

Actually, there was some traffic a few months ago about the CMS-60
drives.  It seems the drive is a bad design, or comes from an overly
cheap disk maker, so I would suggest --

  Don't Buy a CMS-60 disk drive!!!!

However, my CMS-80 / internal is working fine.  It sounds like CMS has
recently destroyed their warranty organization, since your problems
with the first two drives were solved earlier.  Maybe they will fix
their warranty organization in the near future....

I have a warm spot in my heart for CMS since their drive saved me $200
when everyone else (Jasmine) was charging highway-robbery prices for
an 80 megabyte drive....

macak@lakesys.UUCP (James Macak) (02/28/89)

In article <76000361@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Actually, there was some traffic a few months ago about the CMS-60
>drives.  It seems the drive is a bad design, or comes from an overly
>cheap disk maker, so I would suggest --

>  Don't Buy a CMS-60 disk drive!!!!
(Several lines deleted.)

Certainly we are going to find some users who have had trouble with CMS drives
and others who have not.  Likewise with Jasmine, etc.  Anecdotal information
like this is likely not terribly useful... the people who have had problems are
the ones who tend to post messages... satisfied users tend to sit back and
enjoy their drives!  Nevertheless...

I've had my CMS SD-60 for over a year now and have experienced no problems
with it whatsoever.  My understanding is that the drive (at least when I
purchased it) used a Seagate mechanism.  I forgot the model number, but I was
told it had a 40 msec ave. access time, if that helps.  There have been some
negative comments about Seagate quality control, but I guess mine came out OK.

Jim

--

Jim Macak  <lakesys!macak@csd1.milw.wisc.edu>

paisley@cme.nbs.gov (Scott Paisley) (03/01/89)

In article <76000361@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> Actually, there was some traffic a few months ago about the CMS-60
> drives.  It seems the drive is a bad design, or comes from an overly
> cheap disk maker, so I would suggest --
>
>   Don't Buy a CMS-60 disk drive!!!!

On what basis are you making this claim?  Do you (or anyone out there)
have some statistics about CMS drives?  Like percentage of failure?
And is it CMS that is failing, or Seagate?  I'd really like to know!

I have had a CMS-60 for over 7 months now without a hitch.  I would
buy another one if I needed one!  HOWEVER, the first drive that was
sent to me was DOA.  I was sent another one, and received within a
week.  The internal mechanism of the CMS-60 is a Seagate 277N, which
was the faulty part of my drive, but I felt that I was just unlucky.
Chris Schanzle (chris@umbc3.umbc.edu) also has one of these drives,
and hasn't had any trouble either.  (We bought our drives at the same
time.)  I'll be sure to let you all know what happens to the drives -
the day after the warranty expires.  :-)

> I have a warm spot in my heart for CMS since their drive saved me $200
> when everyone else (Jasmine) was charging highway-robbery prices for
> an 80 megabyte drive....

Me too.  Don't be afraid of CMS.

Disclaimer:  I have nothing to do with CMS, except I own a working CMS-60.
--
"...and this thing you call language - you depend on it for so much,
 yet none of you are its master."  		-Carlos the Medusan

Scott Paisley        paisley@cme.nbs.gov        ..!uunet!cme-durer!paisley

johnw@reed.UUCP (John B. Windberg) (03/05/89)

My CMS-SC30 (The lunchbox model) keeps blowing its power supply.
Yes I do have a surge protector. I will have been using the system for hours,
shut down completely. Come back hours later and I can only get a buzzing sound
out of the drive. I have had the power supply replaced, but the problem
continues. I would like to end up with a decent power supply or fix before
my warrenty ends. Any suggestions? Maybe even from a CMS person.

--
    _ _     Duh!                                 | Outside of a dog, a man's
  O/.V.\O  /      johnw@reed (John B. Windberg)  | best friend is a good

yphotons@athena.mit.edu (Sun Warrior) (03/07/89)

Does anybody know of any mac software or computer or anything really
that can do the following. Lets you digitize some one and then after
you have digitized them you can put different hairstyles on their
head.  Something you are likely to find in a beauty salon. I am
looking for something like this not for playing with but for
professional reasons. If you can help drop me aline at:

yphotons@athena.mit.edu

luisc@coil.cs.orst.edu (Craig Luis) (03/08/89)

In article <76000361@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> Actually, there was some traffic a few months ago about the CMS-60
> drives.  It seems the drive is a bad design, or comes from an overly
> cheap disk maker, so I would suggest --
>
>   Don't Buy a CMS-60 disk drive!!!!

I have a CMS-60 drive I have owned for about 6 months and have had no problem
with it.  I have friend who also owns one (no problems) but he has owned his
for about a year.  All I can say is that everybody I know with a CMS drive
has had no problems.  CMS is good stuff!

"When will we see a real computer, Dad?"  -Anonymous
Craig Luis     luisc@coil.cs.orst.edu

jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C. Kantor) (03/10/89)

In article <2616@spray.CalComp.COM>, anson@spray.CalComp.COM (Ed Anson) writes:
>[...]
> The moral of the story is this: Even the best of companies sometimes have
> equipment problems. The important thing is what they do about them, and
> what the overal track record of the equipment is. The only REAL horror
> story is when customer service ignores the service when the equipment fails.
> --

As the original poster, I think I should follow up with how my CMS story
ended.

The replacement drive finally arrived, after waiting two weeks since shipping
them the failed drive.  Remember that this was the third time the failed
drive had been sent to them, the previous two times they returned it saying
it was out of warranty when, in fact, it was not.

To recap, we ordered originally ordered three drives last March which were
shipped in April from the Hardware House.  Two died shortly after arrival,
and were promptly replaced by CMS.  The third failed in January, and they
claimed it was out of the one-year warranty period.  CMS claimed that the
warranty period begins on the day the distributor was invoiced, which
apparently was in Dec, 1987.  The Hardware House had clear documentation
that they our drive was invoiced to them in March, 1988, so that it was
covered by the warranty.  Well, this bit of fighting, and a repeated set of
unreturned phone calls, was the source of all the difficulty.

Though I am pleased to finally have the replacement, I have to still say
that the customer service at CMS is awful.  I don't know if other companies
really do a better job, but to have 3 drives out of 3 fail in the first year,
and on top of that, to have to fight with a totally inadequate customer
service staff surely does not give one much confidence.     I won't be
buying any more CMS drives.

--
Jeff Kantor
                                       US Mail:  Dept. of Chemical Engineering

herbw@midas.STS.TEK.COM (Herb Weiner) (03/24/89)

The power supply in CMS drives contains a marginally-rated capacitor.  When it
fails, the drive dies - drive doesn't spin, lights don't light.  The capacitor
in question is a 1000uF, 16V black electrolytic capacitor, 1/2 inch in diameter
and 3/4 inch high.  Try replacing it with a 1000uF, 50V model.

Caution: If you don't know what you are doing, have a qualified technician
perform this work.