[comp.sys.mac] Mac files in postscript format

akhanna@bbn.com (Atul Khanna) (03/23/89)

How does one capture Mac files (e.g., MacDraw files) in postscript
format?  I'd like to include them in latex documents using the psfig
package.  I've tried the clover-F/clover-K method described in the
psfig documentation, but without success (I've tried MacDraw and
MacDrawII, both with and without the MultiFinder).  Any suggestions?

In case it's relevant, I'm running system 6.0.2, finder 6.1 and
multifinder 6.0.1.

Thanks.
Atul C. Khanna <akhanna@alexander.bbn.com>
BBN Communications Corporation
150 CambridgePark Drive
Cambridge, MA 02140

UUCP:   {harvard,rutgers,uunet,...}!bbn.com!akhanna
Tel: (617) 873 2531

gae@sphere.mast.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (03/23/89)

In article <37608@bbn.COM> akhanna@BBN.COM () writes:
>How does one capture Mac files (e.g., MacDraw files) in postscript
>format?  I'd like to include them in latex documents using the psfig
>package.  I've tried the clover-F/clover-K method described in the

What do you mean "without success"?  Did you get a "Postscript0" file at
all?

First, turn off printer spooling.

In the "Print" dialog, after you click "OK", press the "F" key (or "K")
key.  You should see a window, "Creating Postscript File".

HOWEVER, with MacDraw II 1.1, you should do it slightly differently.
Click "OK", wait for the window "Drawing page 1 of 10", THEN
immediately hold down "F" until you see "Creating Postscript File".
MacDraw II 1.1 has the "feature" that you can alter the document
after you click OK, before printing starts!  I was surprised to find this
out when I saw a string "ffffffff" appearing on my document.

With MacDraw II, the postscript file appears in the folder of the application.
With other applications, the postscript file may appear in the folder of the
document, or in the System folder.  If you don't see it, search for
"Postscript" with "File Finder" DA.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics                     TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (03/25/89)

Oh, and by the way, what does a blinking apple indicate??????

My Hard disk won't boot, what can I do???????

What is the programmer's switch, where does it go??????

Gee, I sure get tired of hearing these questions.  The poster should
know that there is a file on SUMEX.STANFORD.EDU PS:<INFO-MAC> that
describes printing postscript files.  Have you looked at this file yet?

P.S. I know the answers to all the above questions.  I wish Apple
would stop wasting our time, and document its g*ddamn computer so
these frustrated users would DISAPPEAR!!!!!!

P.P.S.  3 Easy ways for postscript printing to fail ---
   (A) You must "trick" your mac by saying you have appletalk hooked
       up, and then select a non-existent laserwriter.  If you really do have
       appletalk hooked up, then you are in trouble.
   (B) If you upload a file, make sure lines are terminated by ^M's,
       e.g. UNIX uploads should be in BINARY mode.
   (C) I find that only the April 14, 1987 Laserprep/Laserwriter (old icons)
       work on our imagen printer with ultrascript.  Experiment.

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (03/25/89)

The "generating-postscript" file on sumex-aim.stanford is too
skimpy.  Can we put the following, expanded file on that machine?  Who
is the moderator I would send this too?  Thanks.

First, get a hold of some laserwriter/laserprep icons.  There are
several versions of postscript; your printer may not implement the
latest version.  Therefore, it may not be good to use the latest
NT/NTX icons, since these assume a very recent version of postscript.
For instance, it seems necessary to use the older Laserwriter / Laser
Prep 4.0 icons of April 14, 1987 with imagen printers, whose
ultrascript language is an early clone of postscript.  If you
consistently get postscript version errors when you print, then
perhaps you should consider looking for these older icons.

To generate a Postscript file from any Macintosh application, first go
to the chooser, tell it you have appletalk hooked up (lie).  If you
really are using appletalk, then you will have problems if there is no
laserwriter on the network.  In this case, perhaps you will be forced
to disconnect the appletalk cable from the back of your machine.

Then select the LaserWriter (not the LaserWriter SC driver.)  Turn
Background Printing off if you are using MultiFinder.  This will cause
small formatting changes in most word processors, since the
laserwriter has larger characters than the Imagewriter or other
printers.  Go to your word processors and correct the lines that have
now changed.  It is a good idea to leave the laserwriter selected
all the time, if possible, so your documents are created with these
changes already in place.

Get ready to print the document in the normal fashion.  When you see
the LaserWriter dialog, click on OK and immediately type and hold
either the K key or the F key. You must depress the key immediately
within the first 1-2 seconds AFTER the dialog disappears.  Do not use
command-F or command-K, as there might be problems in depressing the
key too soon after clicking OK on the dialog.  If you get a message
"looking for laserwriter", then you probably hit the key too late.
The only difference between these commands is that command-K
prepends the contents of Laser Prep to your Postscript output. This is
essential if you are printing to a non-Apple printer.

You should see a file called Postscript0 appear in the current folder.
The next time you do it, if Postscript0 already exists, Postscript1
will be generated, etc.

Keep in mind that if you are uploading this to another system (UNIX),
a normal postscript file has its lines terminated by control-M.  Many
UNIX upload programs will attempt to convert control-M to control-J.
Therefore, upload the postscript in BINARY mode, if possible.

It is possible to upload a laserprep file once, and then save
uploading it in future sessions.  Just generate an empty postscript0
file, and edit it to extract the laserprep part.  Upload this 28K file
once, and you will save a lot of time in future sessions.