[comp.sys.mac] Macs in Russia

phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (03/14/89)

In article <430089@hpcea>, twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) writes:
> Miles, About Macs in the Soviet Union. Next time you have a chance to chat
> with Gorbachav, ask him what computer he uses.  I believe he would answer,
> "Macintosh, what else." It is my understanding that Apple got permission
> from the Dept of Commerce, & Dept of Defense to export a couple of SEs to
> Gorbachav and one or two other high ranking Soviets.>

A couple of days ago I saw an item on the BBC News about the Soviets opening
up photo-copying shops where people can (surprise surprise) copy things.
 There are some things that they are not allowed to copy by the way.  Anyhow,
while watching this article I noticed that said photocopying shop contained
some Macs as well!!  There were Mac pluses, but even so I was quite surprised
to see them there!

> Maybe he & Bush can sit down with a copy of Balance of Power.
>
> TeriAnn

I think Trivial Pursuit might be safer...

Phil Jimmieson,           ***************************************************
Computer Science Dept.,   *        ** Note New Address & UserName **        *
Liverpool University,     * JANET : PHIL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.MVA                   *
Merseyside, England,      * ARPA  : PHIL%mva.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu   *
L69  3BX                  *                                                 *
                          * old address SQPHIL@UK.AC.LIV.CSVAX may work     *
(UK) 051-794-3689         ***************************************************

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) (03/26/89)

In article <2756@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk> phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:
>A couple of days ago I saw an item on the BBC News about the Soviets opening
>up photo-copying shops where people can (surprise surprise) copy things.
> There are some things that they are not allowed to copy by the way.  Anyhow,
>while watching this article I noticed that said photocopying shop contained
>some Macs as well!!  There were Mac pluses, but even so I was quite surprised
>to see them there!

This is not just a copy shop, although I guess that is easier to explain on TV.
It is an AlphaGraphics franchise, owned by a Canadian/USSR firm.  Like any of
the AlphaGraphics shops here in the US, they have Macs and LaserPrinters that
anybody can use, and in addition have Linotronic printers and other printshop
facilities.  Apparently they are also selling Macintoshs, but have to get
export approval after each order has been placed (so it takes about 4 months to
get one).  Most of their business, as you might imagine, is with foreigners,
partly because they can only have 30% of their income in rubles.

(I read about this in an article in the latest MacWeek.)

*
  *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **          phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet