[comp.sys.mac] Mockwrite

gmw1@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gabe M Wiener) (03/22/89)

Hats off to the authors of MockWrite!

I was online with Dialog Information Services doing research and copying all my
citations into MockWrite.  Well, when I went to print, I got some sort of a
system error resulting in a bomb (I don't remember the ID #).  Anyway, it hit
me then and there that I had not saved the file.  So there it flashed before
me:  half an hour of dialog searches and $12 down the drain.  However, when I
clicked "Restart" from the bomb dialog, MockWrite came to the foreground and
said:

"Save changes before closing?"

I don't believe it.  I've never seen a DA do that before.  Hats off to
MockWrite!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-\******/=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Gabe Wiener -- Columbia University   \****/
				      \**/  "At times it is wiser to remain
INTERNET: gmw1@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu  \/    silent and be considered a fool
BITNET:   gmw1@cunixc                  /\    than to speak and remove all
COMPUSERVE: 72355,1226                /**\   doubt."
WUI: 650-117-9118                    /****\                - Shaw
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-/******\=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Raines.Cohen@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Raines Cohen) (03/23/89)

 Re: MockWrite and "save changes after closing"

Acta, MiniWriter, and other DA's do it now.  Don't thank MockWrite, thank the Shutdown Manager and recent Systems that include it.

-- Raines Cohen
 SYSOP, BMUG BBS

--
INTERNET:  bmug!User.Name@apple.COM UUCP: apple!bmug!User.Name

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (03/27/89)

In article <97.242B951E@bmug.FIDONET.ORG>, Raines.Cohen@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Raines Cohen) writes:

>  Re: MockWrite and "save changes after closing"
>
> Acta, MiniWriter, and other DA's do it now.  Don't thank MockWrite, thank the Shutdown Manager and recent Systems that include it.

	Sorry Raines, but a DA's 'ability' to alert the user that he will lose
data on a close ('Do you wish to Save...') has NOTHING to do with the system.
A DA must be programmed specifically to support something called the (yes,
really) Goodbye Kiss.  When a DA is closed by either the user (click in close
box) or by the system (application closing or shutdown) then the DA gets this
'kiss' from the system - if the DA recognizes it, then it SHOULD do the proper
clearnup/shutdown - it it doesn't know about the kiss, bye bye data...

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025