[comp.sys.mac] Non-Apple ADB Keyboards

lim@prls.UUCP (Fredric Lim) (03/22/89)

Am interested in finding out people's experiences with
non-apple keyboards.  Could you comment on the feel and placement
of the keys and if you have had any problems with the keyboard.
Thank you.

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (03/24/89)

In article <20251@prls.UUCP> lim@prls.UUCP (Fredric Lim) writes:
<Am interested in finding out people's experiences with
<non-apple keyboards.  Could you comment on the feel and placement
<of the keys and if you have had any problems with the keyboard.

The feel of the Datadesk keyboard is great, in my opinion. After trying
it at home as a non-ADB, I bought them for the 2 SEs at work.

A couple times on both machines, something locked up on the keyboard
and produced garbage characters. I was really glad that I had the mouse
alternative to save and quit. Rebooting was necessary to restore its
sensibility.

Today I find that I need the control key, so I don't consider the
Datadesk a viable alternative anymore. Also, I can't recommend their
software for programming the keys. I got Quickeys and quickly forgot
about the problems with their init. One outright problem was with the
Lookup spelling checker that you never hear about anymore. Turning on
the function keys with Lookup installed produced a system bomb every
time. With Quickeys, you don't have to turn on the keyboard to use it.

Shirley Kehr

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (03/28/89)

>In article <20251@prls.UUCP> lim@prls.UUCP (Fredric Lim) writes:
><Am interested in finding out people's experiences with
><non-apple keyboards.  Could you comment on the feel and placement
><of the keys and if you have had any problems with the keyboard.

I ran my Mac Plus with a Datadesk 101 keyboard for years, and I *loved* it
-- the Mac Plus keyboard is the pits, and the Datadesk was better than any
other keyboard I'd had a chance to use until then (including my Sun
Workstation keyboards, which should come as no surprise to anyone).  I agree
with Shirley, though -- the 101 macro software is inadequate.  Use Quickeys.

When I got my Mac SE/30, I played around with both the Apple Extended
keyboard and the 101 on my Mac Plus.  I went with the Apple Extended -- it
was a *very* close race -- and I wish that Apple would take a few lessons
from the 101, mainly putting little bars on the F and J keys, instead of the
dots ont he D and K keys (I believe that's where they are).

Or maybe I just learned typing in a non-standard manner...

                           "There *are* standards.  If you can't see one, you
                            *make* one and stick to it come Hell or high water
                            -- until you see a BETTER one."
                                           -- John Gaunt
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...