[comp.sys.mac] TEKey and other word processing data structures

usenet@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (USENET News Administration) (03/26/89)

From: thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie)

	I've been plauing with the miniedit program in LSC and I can't figure how
	to force a line feed. I've been tying TEKey('\$0D',TEH) and variations on
	'\0D' but the best I get is a square box non-printing indicator. Waht am I
	doing wrong.

	Is there a listing anywhere of the data structures used in other word
	processors like macWrite , Word , etc like the struct used in TextEdit.h?

	Any help much appreciated.

	Thom Gillespie
	.

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (03/27/89)

In article <28542@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, usenet@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (USENET News Administration) writes:
> From: thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie)
>
>I've been plauing with the miniedit program in LSC and I can't figure how
>to force a line feed. I've been tying TEKey('\$0D',TEH) and variations on
>'\0D' but the best I get is a square box non-printing indicator. Waht am I
>doing wrong.

	Absolutely nothing!  That square box is the character that resides in
the LF slot in most/all fonts.  Remember that the Mac does NOT know about LF's
it is a foreign concept.  A line break on the Mac is a CR.  If you want hard
wrapped lines in TE instead of the standard soft-wrapped, you can try chaning
the crOnly fieldof the TERec.

> 	Is there a listing anywhere of the data structures used in other word
> 	processors like macWrite , Word , etc like the struct used in TextEdit.h?

	The MacWrite file format is available from Claris and Word's from
MicroSoft.

	ONE THING TO KEEP IN MIND - As per a recent Apple Tech Note - TEXTEDIT
IS NOT A WORD PROCESSOR!!

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

ech@pegasus.ATT.COM (Edward C Horvath) (03/28/89)

In article <28542@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, usenet@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (USENET News Administration) writes:
> From: thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie)
>
>I've been plauing with the miniedit program in LSC and I can't figure how
>to force a line feed. I've been tying TEKey('\$0D',TEH) and variations on
>'\0D' but the best I get is a square box non-printing indicator. Waht am I
>doing wrong.

Try using '\015' for carriage return.  C was invented back when octal was
still all the rage...

Also, I notice in the MPW C 3.0 that the definitions of \n and \r have been
interchanged from the "normal" values.  This actually makes a perverse kind
of sense, if ALL you ever code is \n as a newline.  LSC hasn't taken this
step, so you could also use
	TEKey ('\r', TEH);
at least until LSC decides to become MPW compatible (yech).

To their credit, at least MPW 3.0 uses all lower case trapnames for the
ones with cstring braindamage, and mixed case for the "real" (minimum glue)
trapnames.  AND they provided a tool (CCvt) for converting from the old
convention to the new one.  As I've said elsewhere, MPW 3.0 is a class act.

=Ned Horvath=