[comp.sys.mac] Additional serial ports for MacII?

dave@suna.CMI.COM (David Halonen) (03/17/89)

I'm looking for a manufacturer of additional serial ports for the
MacII.  Any leads out there?

Thanks,
David Halonen, Center for Machine Intelligence, Electronic Data Systems
Ann Arbor, MI  (313) 995-0900
AppleLink: N0548   Internet: dave@suna.cmi.com

--

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (03/25/89)

In article <213@suna.CMI.COM> dave@suna.cmi.com.UUCP (David Halonen) writes:
>I'm looking for a manufacturer of additional serial ports for the
>MacII.  Any leads out there?

I waited for Paul to answer this, but he hasn't so...

Paul Cambell built a four-port serial board for the Mac. It is currently
available for A/UX and will be available for the Mac OS shortly (but I seem
to recall that you can buy the A/UX version and then get the Beta Mac OS
drivers on demand).

While I don't own one yet (I will soon), I have talked to a lot of people
about them, and I have used one on an A/UX machine. The consensus is that
this is a really excellent piece of work all around.

The board works as either four serial ports or one AppleTalk port. It is
buffered so it removes much of the load from the CPU when it runs as an
AppleTalk port. It also understands various communications protocals (such
as uucp 'g') so it makes serial communication a lot nicer (Telebits running
UUCP at full speed under A/UX have a virtually imperceptible impact on
performance).  There's more, but I don't remember all of it.

The board lists for $600. It is currently sold by SuperMac, but that may
change in the near future.

There are also a number of other manufacturers who make serial cards:
CSI- They make the "Hurdler" NuBus prototyping card and MacForth. I don't know
     anything about their serial card, except that as of two months ago it
     would not run with A/UX. The four-port card is cheap ( <$300, I think).
AST- They make the "ICP" two- or four-port card. This is a more powerful card
     than Paul's CommCard, in some ways (68000 @10MHz, I think) but the
     performance is much poorer. Also, the card is more expensive (about
     $1000). I don't believe it supports A/UX. (I'm very uncertain about this,
     but I seem to recall that this card is based on Apple's Coprocessor Card.)
Dove- They make a variety of interface boards with varying quantities and
     types of interfaces (422, 423, 232, parallel, others). I don't know
     anything about these boards.

Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) (03/28/89)

In article <1448@ccnysci.UUCP> alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>In article <213@suna.CMI.COM> dave@suna.cmi.com.UUCP (David Halonen) writes:
>>I'm looking for a manufacturer of additional serial ports for the
>>MacII.  Any leads out there?
>
>There are also a number of other manufacturers who make serial cards:
>CSI- They make the "Hurdler" NuBus prototyping card and MacForth. I don't know
>     anything about their serial card, except that as of two months ago it
>     would not run with A/UX. The four-port card is cheap ( <$300, I think).

Interestingly, I have been looking into these boards, also.  I just got some
literature from Creative Solutions, Inc. about them.  Here is what they have to
say:

    The Hurdler-HDS and HQS are dual and quad port serial boards for the
    Macintosh II.  The Mini-DIN connectors and signals used on this interface
    are the same as those provided with the Macintosh II.

    The local 68008 microprocessor offloads most real-time serial activity from
    the Macintosh II's 68020 processor.  All I/O is buffered to guarantee that
    no data is lost while the 68020 is busy servicing other higher priority
    interrupt sources such as floppy disk or LocalTalk.  Sustained rates in
    excess of 38,400 baud are available on all four channels simultaneously.
    The 68008 may be custom programmed to handle unique, higher performance
    end-user applications such as MIDI, process automation and networking.

    The Hurdler-HDS/HQS is accessed in exactly the same manner as the existing
    two serial ports on the Macintosh II.  These are named ".ain", ".aout",
    ".bin", ".bout".  At startup, each Hurdler-HDS/HQS serial channel is
    automatically configured and assigned the first available driver name in
    alphabetical sequence.  For example, a HDS plugged into slot 9 will have
    ports that may be accessed as ".cin", ".cout", ".din", and ".dout".  The
    current ".a" and ".b" port drivers may be aliased to HDS/HQS ports via the
    control panel allowing existing communications applications to operate over
    HDS/HQS serial channels.

    FEATURES
    * Very cost effective
    * HDS has 2 serial ports; HQS has 4
    * RS-232 and RS-422 compatible
    * On-board 68008 microprocessor
    * Operates at speeds in excess of 38,400 baud per channel
    * HDS may be upgraded to 4 ports
    * A/UX driver available

The pricing on these boards is $299 for the HDS and $379 for the HQS.  I
talked to them on the phone; as with everybody else, they are waiting for the
new version of the serial driver/Chooser to come out which will address
additional ports under Mac OS (this summer?).  In the meantime, they have an
FKEY which can alias calls to the standard ports into calls to the extra ports.

I would appreciate hearing about any additional information people have on
these or other boards, and in particular on how one can get a copy of the beta
serial driver Alexis mentioned.

*
  *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **          phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet