[comp.sys.mac] Editing Unix files.

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (03/27/89)

We just started playing with TOPS between Macs and a Sun.

If I understand what is going on, the Mac uses CR to mark line ends,
but Unix systems use LF to mark the lines.

What I want to find is a Mac application which will edit LF delimited
text files.  Is there such a beast?

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
...!hscfvax!lloyd!kent

paul@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Paul Meyer) (03/27/89)

In article <358@lloyd.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:
>If I understand what is going on, the Mac uses CR to mark line ends,
>but Unix systems use LF to mark the lines.
>
>What I want to find is a Mac application which will edit LF delimited
>text files.  Is there such a beast?

	I often have the same situation: the LF's turn up as garbage
characters at the end or beginning of each line.  I use a program called
"Add/Strip" version 2.0 (I believe).  It will do what you want, among
other things.
	Another option is to use Microsoft Word, and enter the ascii code
of the LF into the find/replace box and replace it with nothing.  In other
words, put ^## (where ## is the ascii code for line feed) into the find
box, nothing into the change to box, and select change all.
	Finally, I believe that McSink can also strip line feeds, but I
don't have it in front of me, so I can't be certain.  Good Luck,--
Paul Meyer
paul@caf.mit.edu
Microsystems Technology Laboratory
MIT

mholden@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Maretta Holden) (03/28/89)

We are running TOPS to connect IBM PCs and Macintoshes. The TOPS copy
operations from the Macintosh side provide text conversion facilities.

I have also used the shareware application Add/Strip make paragraphs
function to generate Mac text files from line feed cluttered files.

Maretta Holden