[comp.sys.mac] Pointers in ROM

naiman-jeffrey@CS.YALE.EDU (Jeffrey Naiman) (03/28/89)

Using ResEdit on my Plus, I changed all of the 'moving watch' cursors to
hourglasses as I was tired of the watch hands rotating around. Unfortunately,
the watch still comes up every once in a while. I have replaced all occurrences
of the watch in the system and the finder, so there's obviously something in
ROM. Does anyone know where? Then, does anyone know where this pointer is
stored in the system and how to change it to point to my custom icon? Thanks.

- Jeff Naiman (naiman@cs.yale.edu)

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (03/28/89)

In article <54947@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> naiman-jeffrey@CS.YALE.EDU (Jeffrey Naiman) writes:
>Using ResEdit on my Plus, I changed all of the 'moving watch' cursors to
>hourglasses as I was tired of the watch hands rotating around. Unfortunately,
>the watch still comes up every once in a while. I have replaced all occurrences
>of the watch in the system and the finder, so there's obviously something in
>ROM. Does anyone know where? Then, does anyone know where this pointer is
>stored in the system and how to change it to point to my custom icon? Thanks.
>
>- Jeff Naiman (naiman@cs.yale.edu)

I too went into Finder and pasted in the Yin-Yang cursor set, and sure
enough, the rotating watch hands were all replaced--except one.  One
of the cursors in the sequence was still the watch.

Eventually I discovered the `acur' resource in the Finder.  It tells
the Finder how many frames there are in the animation, and which
cursors to use.  One of the cursor id's didn't refer to my Yin-Yang
cursors, so I changed it so that it did.  Now it works.

Now my problem is that bunches of applications have discovered that
animated cursors are neat and have done their own, so if I want to get
rid of all the watches I need to dig inside each program.

Note: To do this you will have to use ResEdit--so add all the usual
disclaimers about how you can hang yourself with it if you don't know
what you are doing.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or