[comp.sys.mac] Questions on Texture

ee923ta@venus.ycc.yale.edu (03/28/89)

Greetings,

	I am having problems printing with Texture. I don't have
LaserWriters connected with the mac I have access to, and usually I
generate a postscript file by control-f and up-load it to a microvax to
print on a laserwriter. However, the postscript file generated from Texture
won't print on our laserwriter. The offensive command is "TEXdict".

	I also tried to up-load the DVI file generated by DVITools DA to
the microvax, but dvi file won't work with DVIPS (dvi->ps translator) and
DVIDIS (preview DVI files); neither does it print on IMAGEN. The error msgs
are something like "no font set up" and so on. Has anyone seen this
problem, or I just missed something in the set-ups?

	By the way, is there any good reference book on TEXTURE?

	Thanks

-- Kang Sun

 --- ee923ta@venus.ycc.yale.edu

knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) (03/29/89)

In article <54991@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> ee923ta@venus.ycc.yale.edu writes:
>Greetings,
>
>	I am having problems printing with Texture. I don't have
[stuff deleted]
>	By the way, is there any good reference book on TEXTURE?
>
>	Thanks
>
>-- Kang Sun

First of all the name of the program is TeXtures. Secondly, I found
the documentation which comes with a legal copy of TeXtures (TeXbook,
LaTeX book, Manual) completely sufficient for using the system.

To answer your question about printing: I successfully used two
methods to get printed output:

1) download the dvi-file to a UNIX host using binary kermit on both
   machines. Print with "lpr -d" or "dvispool". "dvi2ps" should work,
   too, even though I have not tried it.

2) download the postscript file to the other machine and use a current
   version of "maclaser", "prepfix", or what other gadgets you get a
   hold of to modify the mac postscript header file.

The first method is significantly faster than the second, because a
dvi-file is about 10-20% the size of a postscript file for the same
document.

Edgar Knapp

(knapp@cs.utexas.edu)