[comp.sys.mac] top 10 MUGs??

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (03/17/89)

I would like to run a poll of our Mac peripherial marketing people.
What are the 10 largest Mac users groups?

When asked this question, I thought about BMUG, Boston Computer Soc.,
and SMUG. {Stanford}. I suspect my group, HPMUG at 170 people isn't
even in the running. So... In your collective opinions, what are the
largest 10 Mac user groups.

TeriAnn
twakeman@hpcea.ce.hp.com

Raines.Cohen@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Raines Cohen) (03/24/89)

 Re: Top 10 MUGs

TeriAnn -

Why do you ask?  Do you really want the 10 _largest_ MUGs, or the 10 "most influential" or "most accessible" groups?  Does geographical diversity enter into it?  For example, you might want to know the largest MidWest group, even if it wasn't comparable to 2 groups in the Bay Area.

Have you tried asking Apple's User Group Connection (although they are not primarily a data-collection bureau, so their info may be out of date).

-- Raines Cohen
 SYSOP, BMUG BBS

--
INTERNET:  bmug!User.Name@apple.COM UUCP: apple!bmug!User.Name

afoster@ogccse.ogc.edu (Allan Foster) (03/25/89)

In article <430093@hpcea.CE.HP.COM> twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) writes:
>I would like to run a poll of our Mac peripherial marketing people.
>What are the 10 largest Mac users groups?
>
>When asked this question, I thought about BMUG, Boston Computer Soc.,
>and SMUG. {Stanford}. I suspect my group, HPMUG at 170 people isn't
>even in the running. So... In your collective opinions, what are the
> largest user groups in the USA.

Well PMUG of Portland has 1300 members on its books and all of which
have renewed this year, so that must be up there...

Regards Allan Foster Vice President of PMUG

--
Allan Foster      UUCP  : tektronix!ogcvax!afoster
CSNet : afoster@cse.ogc.edu      GEnie  : A.FOSTER

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (03/28/89)

 I have asked this question because I was asked it by one of out marketing
managers that is in charge of marketing some HP peripherial devices for Macs.

Seems they want to try user group pitches. They are looking for a few groups
with large numbers of meeting attendees to visit. I think this is for a trial
to see if MUG visits are worth doing from a marketing viewpoint.

I do not think that HP has experiance with going through user groups to
reach a potential market.

We are starting to have some peripherials that actually work well with Macs
but the Mac world doesn't seem to be very aware of them.

I will be suggesting a few things to the marketing folks, like offering
REAL discounts to the MUG, & allowing hands on trials at the meeting.

I think the marketing types think 10 largest = 10 most influencial.

Who is not large but is influancial??

I didn't contact Apple because I thought it would be easier to type in
a base note then look up Phylis's phone number & get routed to someone
who would look it up for me. Besides I thought others might be interested
in knowing who the large MUGs are.

TeriAnn

macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) (03/29/89)

>When asked this question, I thought about BMUG, Boston Computer Soc.,
>and SMUG. {Stanford}. I suspect my group, HPMUG at 170 people isn't
>even in the running. So... In your collective opinions, what are the
> largest user groups in the USA.

I never knew about the size of american groups, but MUS (Macintosh
Users Switzerland) has around 1200 users.

-- Danny Schwendener
   ETH Macintosh Support

Disclaimer: I'm a simple member, not the president.