[comp.sys.mac] LaCie hard disk

chan@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu (03/24/89)

I read lots of comments about LaCie hard disks.  Most people said that their
software is reasonably flexible.  However, these people also said that their
disks gave out high pitch noises after running for a while.  Some of these
people's disks either crashed or broken down.

Is there anyone out there that owned a LaCie hard disk for more than a year
and don't have any of the above problems ?

Did anyone successfully fixed the high pitch problem once and for all ?

Seems like Rodime, Segate, and Quantum are the three most reliable brands.
Am I right ?

-Dan. Chan

paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (03/25/89)

In article <2061@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu> chan@ee.rochester.edu (Daniel Chan) writes:

     < stuff deleted >

>Is there anyone out there that owned a LaCie hard disk for more than a year
>and don't have any of the above problems ?

I have had a LaCie 80MEG external drive for about a year now and have never
had any problems with it.  It is the most reliable hard disk that I have ever
used.  I highly recommend it.

>-Dan. Chan

-Saiid Paryavi

<<<< I have no association with LaCie except as a satisfied customer >>>>

--
Saiid Paryavi                      			Computer Science Dept.
Internet:  paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu			Nichols Hall

garth@cs.swarthmore.edu (Garth Snyder) (03/26/89)

[ Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. ]

    In article <2061@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu (Daniel Chan) writes:

    I read lots of comments about LaCie hard disks.  Most people said that
    their software is reasonably flexible.  However, these people also
    said that their disks gave out high pitch noises after running for a
    while.

    Is there anyone out there that owned a LaCie hard disk for more than a
    year and don't have any of the above problems ?  Did anyone
    successfully fixed the high pitch problem once and for all ?

I have had the LaCie 60M external disk for about a year and a half
now.  I love it.  I love the software.  I would buy another disk from
LaCie without reservation.

It DID develop the high-pitched whining problem related to the static
brush, but I did not have any problems fixing that in the way that the
LaCie techs described to me.  Took about 15 minutes and a screwdriver
- AND I got to look inside the drive.  The electronics looked very
high-quality.  Everything was SMD.

--------------------
Garth Snyder                 UUCP: {bpa,liberty}!swatsun!garth
Swarthmore College     ARPA/CSNET: garth@cs.swarthmore.edu
Swarthmore, PA 19081         ALSO: garth@boulder.colorado.edu
--------------------

stevens@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Curt Stevens) (03/26/89)

In article <2607@carthage.cs.swarthmore.edu> garth@cs.swarthmore.edu (Garth Snyder) writes:
>    In article <2061@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu (Daniel Chan) writes:
>
>                                            However, these people also
>    said that their disks gave out high pitch noises after running for a
>    while.
>
>It DID develop the high-pitched whining problem related to the static
>brush, but I did not have any problems fixing that in the way that the
>LaCie techs described to me.  Took about 15 minutes and a screwdriver
>- AND I got to look inside the drive.  The electronics looked very
>high-quality.  Everything was SMD.

I don't know if this has been mentioned on the net before, but the static
brush problem that causes the high pitched squeal is not a problem that
is confined to LaCie hard drives. I have fixed this problem for at least
two different drives from other resellers. The point is... DON'T think
that you will avoid the problem by avoiding LaCie. It is not their
exclusive problem, but one of the drive manufacturer (I know CDC Wren
III drives exhibit this problem for instance). I suppose that LaCie and
others could just bend the brush out of the way before shipping but that
is a lot of work to prevent a problem that probably occurs in only a small
fraction of the drives they sell.

|Curt Stevens        (303)492-1218 |   /   |arpa: stevens@boulder.colorado.edu|
|University of Colorado at Boulder |  o o  |uucp:{ncar|nbires}!boulder!stevens|
|Computer Science Department       |   |   |----------------------------------|
|Campus Box 430                    |  \_/  |Its a dog eat dog world & Im wear-|
|Boulder, Colorado 80309           |       |ing milkbone underwear.Norm@Cheers|

========
| Curt |
========

earhard@dalcsug.UUCP (Mark Earhard) (03/27/89)

In article <2061@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu> chan@ee.rochester.edu (Daniel Chan) writes:
>Seems like Rodime, Segate, and Quantum are the three most reliable brands.

Well, I've owned two segate drives, one st225 on my XT clone, and that
thing has been dropped, turned on its side while running, run on an angle
and had just about everything else done to it (never spiled anything on it...)
and now I own a ST277n on my Mac in a Tulin Chassis, and it's been bumped once
or twice (rather hard...) it's also stood up to my poking, proding, offencive
soldering iron gestures, etc etc, and it's stood up to it all.

I know people who don't like them, but for what I've put the st255 (damn, I
think that's the number, anyhow it's a 20 meg XT drive) through you just
can't get any more reliable or tolerant.

If anyone has any horror stories, drop me a line.

Mark.

andyc@inteloa.intel.com (T. Andrew Crump) (03/27/89)

I have had my 40meg LaCie drive for about 18 months.  Yes even before LaCie was
LaCie, they were called Kammerman Labs.  It has work flawlously for that time
and very quietly.  The software is the best (silverlining)!  I would buy another
without hesitation!
--

Andy Crump                                   BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNN  NNNN TM
UUCP:   ...!tektronix!biin!andyc             BBBB  BBBB iiii iiii NNNN NNNN

andyc@inteloa.intel.com (T. Andrew Crump) (03/27/89)

I have had my 40meg LaCie drive for about 18 months.  Yes even before LaCie was
LaCie, they were called Kammerman Labs.  It has work flawlously for that time
and very quietly.  The software is the best (silverlining)!  I would buy another
without hesitation!

The 40meg is a Conner drive with an 18ms avg seek time.  It's fast!
--

davidl@inteloa.intel.com (David Levine) (03/29/89)

In article <2061@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu> chan@ee.rochester.edu (Daniel Chan) writes:
>I read lots of comments about LaCie hard disks.  Most people said that their
>software is reasonably flexible.  However, these people also said that their
>disks gave out high pitch noises after running for a while.  Some of these
>people's disks either crashed or broken down.
>
>Is there anyone out there that owned a LaCie hard disk for more than a year
>and don't have any of the above problems ?

I have owned my LaCie 30 for more than a year (what is it, a year and a
half now?) and have never had any problems with noise or hardware failure.
I am extremely happy with it and recommend it to all my friends.

- David Levine, BiiN (.signature file temporarily inaccessible)