[comp.sys.mac] Quark quirk

t-stephp@microsoft.UUCP (Stephen Poole) (03/22/89)

I recently began playing with Quark XPress 1.04 again after using it in
a newspaper DTP situation.  In my previous experience I never had a similar
problem to the one I am now encountering, and I'd like a bit of advice.

I've put together a layout with a grayscale picture, two LaserWriter fonts,
and a few lines.  I'm printing from a Mac II over ApplesShare to either a
LaserWriter Plus or a LaserWriter II NTX.  System software is 6.0.2.  What
I keep getting is an error indicating that an invalid PostScript command
was detected, and it's either FrameRect or ScaleUp that's the offending
function.  This aborts printing.  I've tried powering the printers off and
on in the muddled hope that there was some strange initialization problem,
but to no avail.

What's going on?  I checked the versions of the printer driver and prep;
they're both 6.0.2.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
-- Stephen D. Poole -- t-stephp@microsoft.UUCP -- Mac II Fanatic --
--                                                               --

sch@tachyon.UUCP (Steve Holzworth) (03/29/89)

In article <18@microsoft.UUCP>, t-stephp@microsoft.UUCP (Stephen Poole) writes:
> I recently began playing with Quark XPress 1.04 again after using it in
> a newspaper DTP situation.  In my previous experience I never had a similar
> problem to the one I am now encountering, and I'd like a bit of advice.

	stuff about Postscript "scaleup" error deleted...

> --
> -- Stephen D. Poole -- t-stephp@microsoft.UUCP -- Mac II Fanatic --
> --                                                               --
> -- I'm just an Oregon Tech Software Engineering co-op at  Micro- --
> -- soft.  Believe me, nobody here pays attention to my opinions! --

This is a known bug in Xpress (the actual name, but I say "Quark" too) in
Version 1.04.  It was fixed in 1.10L, which they shipped to us for free,
even after our warranty expired.  The latest version (2.0?) also fixes my
pet peeve, you can now cut and paste boxes across page boundaries. We don't
have V2.0 (yet), so I don't know what else it can do.  It is supposedly faster
though.

						Steve Holzworth
						rti!tachyon!sch