[comp.sys.mac] apple tape drive

leeke@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (Steven D. Leeke) (10/27/87)

We've had our Apple 40SC tape drive for a couple of weeks now and I thought
a short note would be in order.

1) It has a fan - a bit quieter than an SE, I don't notice it on top of the II.
2) It looks like the HD20SC box with a tape slot in the front
3) 38.5MB/tape
4) 22min/20MB in volume backup => ~40min/cartridge - file backup is slower
5) With an 80MB Mac II and 50MB of files it is easier (faster) to use DiskFit
6) Software allows backup/restore by volume or file.
7) Backup changes only allowed when backing up by file
8) The software does NOT run in the background under MultiFinder
9) 40min to format a DC-2000 tape cartridge
10) SCSI cables are extra

If the software ran in the background under MultiFinder I would gladly toss
my smart set, but until then I will probably continue with DiskFit - even it
it takes 80 disks.

Steve Leeke

--
Steven D. Leeke, Center for Integrated Systems, Stanford University
    {ucbvax,decvax}!decwrl!glacier!leeke, leeke@glacier.stanford.edu

"I suppose they don't use money in the 23rd century?"

dennisg@pwcs.UUCP (10/28/87)

We too have a 40 meg Apple SCSI tape.

In a few words - it stinks.

It's too slow, too noisy ( for being that slow ), and the
software is bad. It's not worthless, it does work, etc., but it
sure as heck isn't worth the great wait and $$$ that is cost us.

Top that off with the price of the tapes $$$.

--
Dennis Grittner		City of Saint Paul, Minnesota
(612) 298-4402		Room 700, 25 W. 4th St. 55102

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (10/29/87)

In article <17198@glacier.STANFORD.EDU>, leeke@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (Steven D. Leeke) writes:
> We've had our Apple 40SC tape drive for a couple of weeks now and I thought
> a short note would be in order.
> If the software ran in the background under MultiFinder I would gladly toss
> my smart set, but until then I will probably continue with DiskFit - even it
> it takes 80 disks.
> Steve Leeke

    According to DiskFit author Richard Zulch, DiskFit 1.3 will run in
background under MultiFinder. This may be just the ticket...read usenet
news while backing up your hard drive. I haven't used the software in
background yet but I assume it prompts you for disks, you insert them,
and continue reading news. Looks handy!

David Gelphman

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel) (10/31/87)

In article <2168@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) writes:
>    According to DiskFit author Richard Zulch, DiskFit 1.3 will run in
>background under MultiFinder. This may be just the ticket...read usenet

	I personally would not be interested in doing a background backup-
I think that trying to back  up a moving target is not such a cool idea...

But I *do* like DiskFit. :-)

		-_Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

* Richard M. Siegel | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* Symantec, THINK Technologies Division.  (No snappy quote)         *

mrh@Shasta.UUCP (11/02/87)

In article <3070@husc6.UUCP>, singer@endor.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel) writes:
> In article <2168@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) writes:
> >    According to DiskFit author Richard Zulch, DiskFit 1.3 will run in
> >background under MultiFinder. This may be just the ticket...read usenet
>
> 	I personally would not be interested in doing a background backup-
> I think that trying to back  up a moving target is not such a cool idea...
> 		-_Rich

    I agree that backing up a moving target is not a 'cool' idea BUT there are
plenty of activities which I do with my Mac which do not alter the current
files on disk and during those activities it would be great to have a backup
going on. As I said in my original posting (see part of it above!), reading
usenet news while backing up my hard drive sounds like killing two birds with
one stone (just feed in a disk as it asks and keep on reading).

David Gelphman

ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) (07/14/88)

Does anyone out there know of any software which allows you to back up
macs over appletalk to an apple tape drive? Scenario: Several Macs each with
its own HD, one of them also has the tape drive. We dont want to have to
unplug and carry round the tape drive all the time to each machine in turn.
And while we are on the subject I presume I can back up a third party disk
to the Apple Tape drive, can I not?

Thanks, Ralph

Fabian@cup.portal.com (07/20/88)

Ralph,

SuperMac Software's Network DiskFit will allow you to backup any AppleShare or
TOPS fileservers, but we don't recommend backup up an entire server over the
network for 4 reasons:

1.  Speed.  AppleTalk is much slower than the file server's direct hard disk
    connection using the SCSI port.  Therefore, backups are much slower.

2.  Network use.  The AppleTalk network is used for a variety of purposes.
    Backing up over the network reduces its performance for everyone else.

3.  Files that you do not have read access to will not be backed up.  It would
    be necessary to provide a "backup group" and make sure that everyone on the
    server caused all folders to belong to this group.
4.  Information on onwership and access priviledges is stored only on the
    AppleShare's direct connect hard disk.  That information would have to be
    recreated by the network administrator after restoring.

Note that the above was for backing up the entire server over the network.

Network DiskFit allows you to create a SmartSet over the network of files
stored on an AppleShare file server.  You are given the option to back up only
those files that you own as opposed to all that you have access to.  If you
create a Visible Files SmartSet, all files that Network DiskFit can read will
be copied to the SmartSet.  These will be all of the files accessible to you
in the Finder.

If you create an Owned Files SmartSet, only those files contained in folders
that you own will be copied
Essentially, Network DiskFit must be able to read a file to copy it to a
SmartSet.

Network DiskFit allows you to back up mounted HFS TOPS volumes in several way:
to another mounted HFS volume, or to a SmartSet.

Network DiskFit is a multi-launch application and a site license of up to 32
users on one contiguous AppleTalk network is included in the suggested retail
price of $395.

Network DiskFit (as does DiskFit) will allow you to back up to diskettes,
another hard disk, DTC/Kodak cartridges, Bernoulli cartridges, Syquest
cartridges, and any DC2000 tape drive that uses the 3M controller (SuperMac,
Apple, and GCC).

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

steveg@tove.umd.edu (Steve Green) (03/28/89)

I have noticed a strange problem using the apple tape drive with a rodime 144.
The problem is that after a backup, the tape software does not allow a restore.
The software greys out the volumes as if they are not of the same size or type.
I am assuming that the problem lies in the rodime drivers as I notice that they
do not correctly partition for use with AUX.  After partitioning, it is
neccessary to edit the partition under AUX.  Questions...
1.  Has any one else had this problem..
2.  Why will it allow me to back it up and not restore?
3.  Any ideas?..

I have had to use the init that mounts the tape and finder copy the files off.
I have not tried to edit the p-map under AUX and then a tape restore, as this
is not an acceptable solution to me.
The archive and the volume have the exact same size and this problem only
happen under hfs.  AUX volume backups and restores, with rodime, work fine.

Please respond with mail
steveg@tove.umd.edu
uunet.uu.net!tove.umd.edu!steveg

steveg@tove.umd.edu (Steve Green) (03/30/89)

Here is a followup to my own post a few days back.  I had a problem doing
a restore from tape to a rodime 144.  My assumtion was that the drive was
not partitioned correctly and it seems that that is indeed the case.
The rodime driver utility does not correctly partiton volumes.  From
what I can guess, the apple tape drive software looks at the logical
partiton length to determine the size of the partition and the rodime
software does not fill in this value.  That is, it only fills in the
physical length value in the pmap. (or visa-versa, its late and Iam tired)
Well, the solution was to use another driver or fix the pmap under AUX.
Conclusion: If you have a rodime, test tape bup's before you buy.

steveg@tove.umd.edu