 Sub : Resource expert help needed
From : RAY WEISLING (#268)
Date : 03/25/89 08:28:44 PM

I bought the Arabic Macintosh System Software v1.1 from APDA and have
been struggling with moving parts of it over to my regular system. As it
stands it is a complete localized System for use in Arab-speaking
countries, with all menus, dialogs and alerts in Arabic, using one of
several new Arabic fonts. It is interesting to type characters, because
the linking of this script is done dynamically, and the shapes change to
connect with the next--this requires a special font and special script
manager resource code. As I do not yet speak Arabic (but wish to use
this as a learning tool) this is a bit more than I desire. Also, this
version appears to be based on System 3.2 and Finder 5.3, and I would
like to have it on System 6.0.2 (to use with Multifinder).

So I set about to see what I could move over to my 6.0.2 System
(actually to a copy). I have done some comparisons between these two
systems (and with a copy of 4.0/5.4, which is the closest I can come
here at home with a US system). There are numerous resources that are
named "Arabic" that are obvious, and these were moved. There is one
script icon, a crescent moon, that shows up on the right menu bar to
tell you which script is active; this I moved also.

The first shot at running with my 6.0.2 Arabic system were pretty good.
The one strange thing was that I had no Chicago font--all menus had what
looked like Geneva 12. I had originally moved the Arabic fonts with
Font/DA Mover, and upon further browsing with ResEdit I saw that my
Arabic fonts were in FOND but were missing from FONT. Strange. I tried
again with Font/DA Mover, this time to a new file; same thing. Hmmm. I
tried this move with an old Fontastic (v2.5) and this time it seemed
that they moved OK. After this, and possibly some other careless dinking
around in my target 6.0.2-Arabic version, and it stopped working for me.
The script manager switching was gone, the script icon didn't show up,
etc.

Now I am frustrated, after all this work. The documentation supplied was
minimal in terms of getting this moved over to newer systems. Apple
should know that they always update the system and that people always
like to run with the improvements in capability (and hopefully old bugs
removed with fewer new bugs, right?). Since the System has no CODE
resources, where is the code that might be different between these
systems?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any experience with international
resources or script manager out there? I'd be mighty grateful for any
suggestions on what to do or where to go for assistance.
Any takers? Thanks in advance.

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    felix!dhw68k!thecloud@ics.uci.edu

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (03/28/89)

In article <21414@dhw68k.cts.com>, thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:

> [Whole mess of problems getting AIS 1.1 to work with U.S. System 6.0.2]
>>
> Does anyone have any suggestions? Any experience with international
> resources or script manager out there? I'd be mighty grateful for any
> suggestions on what to do or where to go for assistance.
> Any takers? Thanks in advance.

	I guess that it's time for the 'How do I get International Scripts
running in my U.S. System?'.  Here's the step by step recipe:

1) Open up that trusted copy of ResEdit
2) Open up both System files (U.S. and Arabic)
3) Copy the following resources:
	FOND "Al-Qahira" 17920
	FONT "Al-Qahira" 16521 & 16524
	itl0 "Arabic" 17920
	itl1 "Arabic" 17920
	itl2 "Arabic" 17920
	itlb "Arabic" 4
	KCHR "Arabic" 17920
	SICN "Arabic" 17920
4) Close up the files (saving of course)
5) Quit ResEdit
6) Reboot and Enjoy...

NOTE1: DON'T FORGET TO COPY THE INIT FROM THE SYSTEM FOLDER OR IT WON'T WORK!
NOTE2: For those with other International Systems who want to do the same thing,
you will have the same resources just with different names and ID#'s, but it
should work anyway.
NOTE3: If you use SuitcaseII you can put this stuff into a separate file and
let Suitcase load the resources for you.  Works great!

Disclaimer: Just cause I do it, doesn't mean that Apple approves!

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

ahmeda@creek.UUCP (Aftab Ahmed) (03/29/89)

In article <11135@well.UUCP>, svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:

> 	I guess that it's time for the 'How do I get International Scripts
> running in my U.S. System?'.  Here's the step by step recipe:
>
> 1) Open up that trusted copy of ResEdit
> 2) Open up both System files (U.S. and Arabic)
> 3) Copy the following resources:
> 	FOND "Al-Qahira" 17920
> 	FONT "Al-Qahira" 16521 & 16524
> 	itl0 "Arabic" 17920
> 	itl1 "Arabic" 17920
> 	itl2 "Arabic" 17920
> 	itlb "Arabic" 4
> 	KCHR "Arabic" 17920
> 	SICN "Arabic" 17920
> 4) Close up the files (saving of course)
> 5) Quit ResEdit
> 6) Reboot and Enjoy...

Having gone through a similer procedure a while back, I am also successfully running
an Arabic system under System 6.0.2.  But I do remember that I copied some additional
resources in DSAT, itlc and KSWP resources.  These resources also have their name as
Arabic in the Arabic System.  I know that DSAT 0 draws the startup Alert box, but
what does the other resources do?? Did I copy something extra??

When I do shutdown I get a message something like "The system is bad or booted on
64K roms".  Since this message is a system alert, I guess either I copied something
extra or missing something.  Any help??

Now here is my two bits worth about converting system 6.0.2.

In additon to the above resource list the LAYO resource in "Finder" also need some
tweeking to get good results.  Just open the LAYO from Arabic "Finder" and try to
carry the changes to the US "Finder".

Also the Arabic System recognises FOND's with resource ID's 17920 and greater (I don't
know how much greater) as Arabic Fonts, with 17920 equivalent to Font # 0 (Chicago)
in the US system.  Font/DA Mover may be a better tool, to copy the Arabic Fonts, than
Resedit, but note that it may convert those FONT's into NFNT's. That's the way they
appear in my system.

In absence of proper documentation from Apple, all I know about the foreign systems
has been derived from experiments, so some of it may be wrong.  Can somebody point
me to any documentation (excluding IM V) on the script manager??

Aftab Ahmed

* Aftab Ahmed, AG Communication Systems, Phoenix, Arizona  *          Standard          *
*  UUCP: ...!ames!ncar!noao!asuvax!gtephx!ahmeda           *         Disclaimer         *

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (03/29/89)

In article <424cd375.14d09@creek.UUCP> ahmeda@creek.UUCP (Aftab Ahmed) writes:

>me to any documentation (excluding IM V) on the script manager??

The most current documentation on the Script Manager was sent out in the
February Developer mailing.  It is called _The Script Manager 2.0_ and is
dated February 1989.  In addition, ADPA carries a Script development package.

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (03/31/89)

In article <424cd375.14d09@creek.UUCP>, ahmeda@creek.UUCP (Aftab Ahmed) writes:
> In article <11135@well.UUCP>, svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
> > >
> > 	I guess that it's time for the 'How do I get International Scripts
> > running in my U.S. System?'.  Here's the step by step recipe:
> > [recipe removed]
> >
> Having gone through a similer procedure a while back, I am also successfully
> running an Arabic system under System 6.0.2.  But I do remember that I
> copied some additional resources in DSAT, itlc and KSWP resources.
> what does the other resources do?? Did I copy something extra??

	REMOVE these immediately!  They are special for use by the localized
system ONLY and are not appropriate for the 'hybrid' system - in fact they may
cause problems like what you describe on Shutdown!
---
DSAT - used on startup, shutdown and sysErrors
itlc - Tells System what is default language
KSWP - Keyboard related information
---
	As far as additional info from IM V, the only thing(s) that I can
recommend are the Script Manager Notes/Docs that APDA sells.  There is the
Developers Pacakge and soemthing else.  The Developers kit is pretty good, and
the other isn't bad.