[comp.sys.mac] 16Mhz why in the world....

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (03/22/89)

Anyone know why Apple is bothering with 16Meg 68030s?????????
The result is essentually a MacII with a cheaper upgrade path. All the timing
comparisons I have seen show Mac SE/30 / IIx / IIcx to be in the same speed
league as the Mac II.

With all this high sales profit $$$ alledgedly going into R&D, why are we
seeing machines that basically behave like the now ageing MacII?????
I have noticed major design for manufacturing improvements and component
improvements that would make the new machines cheaper to build & upgrade,
BUT   They basically behave like MacIIs.

For the longest time I have wondered why Apple bothered with the SE when
they had the Mac+. They could have just tweeked the + a little, & got on to
the business of creating a new Mac.

Now we have fancy MacIIs. Apple is talking about multi media & real time
animation. I believe you need more hores power then is currently available
to be able to completely redraw the screen 20 to 25 times per second.

Why in the world didn't the SE/30 & IIcx come out with 33Mhz 68030s??????
What about a second processor to handle the screen?? Third party
manufacturers seem to be able to build 33Mhz 68030 accellerator boards that
work with the newer Macs using Mac software. Why does Apple's R&D hesitate
where companies with comparitively pico R&D budgets can do it?????

Just wondering,

TeriAnn

PS My Mac+ does even more then it could when it was new because I have better
software to run on it. Luckally, its performance dosn't degrade whenever
Apple toots the horns & rolls out a brand new incremental tweek in
new product clothing. Come the 33Mhz MacIIcx I will probably decide
its time for a new computer.

mystone@sol.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (03/24/89)

In article <430095@hpcea.CE.HP.COM> twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) writes:
>Anyone know why Apple is bothering with 16Meg 68030s?????????
>The result is essentually a MacII with a cheaper upgrade path. All the timing
>comparisons I have seen show Mac SE/30 / IIx / IIcx to be in the same speed
>league as the Mac II.
>
> [.....]
>
>Why in the world didn't the SE/30 & IIcx come out with 33Mhz 68030s??????
>What about a second processor to handle the screen?? Third party
>manufacturers seem to be able to build 33Mhz 68030 accellerator boards that
>work with the newer Macs using Mac software. Why does Apple's R&D hesitate
>where companies with comparitively pico R&D budgets can do it?????

  From what I understand, there are a few reasons why Apple hasn't gone with
a faster clock rate.

      -  Faster clock rates require faster RAM memory.  And the price of
        of are ungodly.  If people are complaining about Apple's prices
        now, think of how much they would charge for a machine with <100ns
        memory chips.

      -  The circuit boards in the current Macs aren't capable of handling
        the increased speed.  I'm not an hardware expert, so I don't know
        why this is so, and how the 3rd party accelerators work, but I'm
        led to believe that it would require a complete redesign of the
        logic board to support at faster processor.

      -  Upgrades.  If the second reason is true, then Apple wouldn't
        be able to offer upgrades (II -> IIx and SE -> SE/30).  Apple
        didn't offer an upgrade for the Plus to the SE because they
        redesigned the logic board to get that 10 to 15% speed increase.
        I suppose that if they came out with a Mac IIex or whatever that
        ran at 33Mhz, they wouldn't give you an upgrade option either.

Dean Yu                            | E-mail: mystone@{sol,caen}.engin.umich.edu
University of Michigan             | Real-mail: Dean Yu
Computer Aided Engineering Network |            2413 Kelsey House
===================================|            600 E Madison
"These are MY opinions." (My       |            Ann Arbor, MI 48109
 employer doesn't want them.       |===========================================
 Actually, they don't really care  |
 what I think.  But President      |   This space intentionally left blank.
 Duderstadt does...)               |

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (03/24/89)

In article <430095@hpcea.CE.HP.COM> twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) writes:
>Why in the world didn't the SE/30 & IIcx come out with 33Mhz 68030s??????
>What about a second processor to handle the screen?? Third party
>manufacturers seem to be able to build 33Mhz 68030 accellerator boards that
>work with the newer Macs using Mac software. Why does Apple's R&D hesitate
>where companies with comparitively pico R&D budgets can do it?????

One reason is probably the same reason Apple doesn't come out with a faster
65816 in the IIGS and third-party companies can:  none of these companies
have to meet the demand Apple must for CPUs.  If there is a "limited" supply
of faster, more expensive chips, there would be a limited supply of faster,
more expensive machines...

Just my own guess however...

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

dr@cs.columbia.edu (David Robinowitz) (03/24/89)

In article <42340b22.a590@mag.engin.umich.edu>, mystone@sol.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) writes:

>   From what I understand, there are a few reasons why Apple hasn't gone with
> a faster clock rate.
>
>       -  Faster clock rates require faster RAM memory.  And the price of
>         of are ungodly.  If people are complaining about Apple's prices
>         now, think of how much they would charge for a machine with <100ns
>         memory chips.

From what I understand of caches, one could build a static-RAM cache
between the MC68030 and the main memory (slow DRAMS) and get rid of
some wait states/utilize a faster u-processor.  Of course, this would
require sophisticated hardware which would handle
cache-misse/writes/replacement (if [set]associative).  The speedup
would be proportional to the cache-hit ratio which would vary
depending on the application.  I'm no motorola expert, but from what
I've read, the MC68030 has a small data cache and a small instruction
cache onboard.  Enlarging this cache may be all Apple needs to do.  As
my CU professor said, [and I paraphrase badly] "Caches are one of the
few elegant improvements one can make to a computer system.  For a
small increase in $$$$, one can get a significant speedup (more than
just linear)."  Certainly, the MM speed is still important (everything
in the cache has to be read in from MM, and everything that gets
written to MM eventually has to be actually written there) --- I don't
know if 120ns DRAMS are fast enough to support a 33Mhz 030 without
just adding more wait states for MM access.

> Dean Yu                            | E-mail: mystone@{sol,caen}.engin.umich.edu
> University of Michigan             | Real-mail: Dean Yu
> Computer Aided Engineering Network |            2413 Kelsey House
> ===================================|            600 E Madison
> "These are MY opinions." (My       |            Ann Arbor, MI 48109
>  employer doesn't want them.       |===========================================
>  Actually, they don't really care  |
>  what I think.  But President      |   This space intentionally left blank.
>  Duderstadt does...)

It seems Apple is not too concerned w/speedup.

-Dave
Real Men Don't Write Disclaimers.
David Robinowitz                       dr@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
CU SEAS CS MS, NYC  			          (212) 601-1586

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David L. Williams) (03/24/89)

Probably the reason that we only see 16mghz Mac IIx's 030SE's is because Apple
is Stingy in the speed and performance dept. They don't use faster dma/scsi
chips for disk access, they don't use graphics accelerators or anything other
than a math coprocessor, they don't use a DSP for sound.

I guess all that R&D money went to giving Apple R&D engineers 3 or 4 more video
cards and monitors to hang on their 8 meg machines. Just think! now the R&D
budget can be spent buying themselves the big 21" monitors.

-David

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (03/25/89)

Q:  Why is apple bothering with 16Mhz 68030's?

A:  Why did IBM use the 8088, when the faster 8086 was available, for
    the PC?  First, they saved $30/machine.  I am bet Apple is probably
    saving several hundred dollars per machine, when you consider the caches
    needed to fully utilize a 33Mhz processor.

B:  How many 33Mhz parts do you think Motorola can produce?  I doubt they
    can produce enough to satisfy Sun, Apple, etc, all at the same time.
    Can you imagine how this would bid up the price of macintoshes, if
    Apple could not get CPUs for its computers????

C.  33Mhz chips are very nearly state-of-the-art for microprocessor
    silicon.  Rarely can you satisfy a customer by giving him flakey
    state-of-the-art equipment.

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

jmunkki@kampi.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (03/26/89)

In <430095@hpcea.CE.HP.COM> twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) writes:
>Anyone know why Apple is bothering with 16Meg 68030s?????????

I _guess_ Apple is getting old and conservative. Even the normal Macs only run
at about 6 Mhz because Apple didn't want to waste their money into video RAMs.

The worst problem with the Mac II was that the video card has to be in a NuBUS
slot. This means that the video memory has an access time of about 300 ns. You
can't get real time video with a 10 Mhz NuBUS.

The Mac IIx is a total cripple. The only reason to buy a IIx instead of a II
is if you want a superdrive.

The Mac IIcx is a winner. It's smaller than a Mac II, so I don't think it's
too bad that it doesn't run at 25 or 33 Mhz. They would have had to fix the
video problems, if they had increased the speed.

They could have created a 33 Mhz SE/030, but it would have sounded silly to
have the SE run faster than a II.

They should have designed a video slot for the cx. That way you could have
100-120 ns RAM for one video monitor and still have other monitors on NuBUS.
They could also have increased the clock rate, since you would have been able
to see the increase with the new video slot...

We'll probably see a super-expensive Mac IIxx within a year. I don't think a
lot of people will be able to afford it.

Maybe Apple should create a new family of computers. The marketing department
probably wouldn't want that, but it would be the right choice in the long run.
I don't want a Macintosh model designed to be a NeXT-killer. The Macintosh
architecture simply wasn't designed to kill NeXT.

|     Juri Munkki jmunkki@hut.fi  jmunkki@fingate.bitnet        I Want   Ne   |
|     Helsinki University of Technology Computing Centre        My Own   XT   |
^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (03/27/89)

In article <20788@santra.UUCP>, jmunkki@kampi.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) writes...
[...]
>I don't want a Macintosh model designed to be a NeXT-killer. The Macintosh
>architecture simply wasn't designed to kill NeXT.

Ah, right, that's the official Next reason why Next will succeed the Mac.  I
talked with someone at Next about it: yeah, he said, the Mac architecture just
can't compete with Next's.  I disagree, but I guess we'll see.  I reckon a lot
of software's gonna break in the interim, but I reckon Apple's engineer's are
going to revamp the architecture for the '90's.  And then there's always the
88k Mac (which I guess you could claim is a separate machine).  Apple's also
going to be going (according to them) much further in the direction of
graphic and other co-processors, etc., offloading a lot of work off the CPU
(Finally! :->).

By the way, I think it will be interesting to see how Next is doing a year from
now.  Between Apple's future stuff, Sun's "Campus", and Dec's new stuff,
there's a lot of competition. A beta Next at Businessland?  Sounds kinda of odd
to me.  Apple's Next-Killer may never get a chance to go up against its target.
But...we'll see.

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (03/28/89)

(Teriann Wakeman) writes:
>Anyone know why Apple is bothering with 16Meg 68030s?????????
>The result is essentually a MacII with a cheaper upgrade path. [etc]

>With all this high sales profit $$$ alledgedly going into R&D, why are we
>seeing machines that basically behave like the now ageing MacII?????  [etc.]

>Why in the world didn't the SE/30 & IIcx come out with 33Mhz 68030s??????
>What about a second processor to handle the screen?? Third party
>manufacturers seem to be able to build 33Mhz 68030 accellerator boards that
>work with the newer Macs using Mac software. Why does Apple's R&D hesitate
>where companies with comparitively pico R&D budgets can do it?????

Good question. There are two answers. The first can be found in a flame/article
I posted about two-three weeks ago. To summarize, it said that while Apple's
technical people are generally very good to great, Apple marketing (and thus
Apple as a whole) is run by idiots. Rarely has a corporation coasted so long
on its past achievements (except, hmm, IBM in the mid-80's). Would you believe
that things like (for example) HyperCard updates and host adaptor cards
have sat around for months because Apple Marketing didn't know what the hell
to do with them? (Or maybe they didn't understand what they were. How do you
explain MacAPPC to idiots?)

Enough frothing about the mouth. The other answer only applies to the CPUs,
but it does excuse Apple for the slow processor speeds (though not anything
else). It turns out that Motorola is having a bitch of a time getting the
'20 and '30 out in quantity at high speeds. It appears that they can't
supply enough to Apple to meet the demand.

Actually, I take it back. This doesn't excuse anything. When IBM couldn't
get a million '386s at 25MHz, they just announced the machine and shipped
what they could. They also introduced a range of machines which were basically
identical except for clock speed. Why hasn't Apple done this? (Hint: look
at answer #1...)

This whole issue has worried me quite a bit lately. In 1986, just three
short years ago, you could get a motorola '020 at 16 MHz that would blow
away the fastest Intel processor money could buy (a '286 at 10 MHz?). There
was simply no comparison. Now Motorola can barely keep up with Intel- yes,
they're shipping a 33MHz '030, but in what quantity? And what will it be like
in a year, with 40 MHz '486s? Will the '040 be able to keep up? Motorola says
so, but they can't even get the 030 out in quantity!

The point is not that I want Macs to be superior to IBMs in raw speed. I do.
And they're not, thanks to lazyness on Apple's part. The point IS that the
architecture we're bound to may, in the end, be a disaster for us. Just two
short years ago, things looked very different.

There is one bright spot. I heard recently that Apple is delaying the "Four-
Square" machine past the original intro date. The reason, I hear, is that
Motorola is suddenly giving them very encouraging news about high-speed
parts in quantity. If this is true, things will suddenly be looking a lot
better. So we may get a 33 MHz '030 in October, instead of a 25 MHz '030 in
August.

If so, that'll be the first smart move out of Apple in a long time...

(BTW, watch for the announcement on the '040 later this week. I hear they
say they'll have quantity 25MHz parts late this year, turning in about
**10 MIPS**. We'll see...)

Skeptical but hopeful,
Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.uucp

P.S. I've said this before, but it bears repeating. I've trashed Apple more
than once on this net, but I'm NOT talking about technical people. I know
a number of people at Apple, and all the tech-types are top-notch. It's the
sales&marketing types (none of whom I know) that I don't care for...

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (03/29/89)

In article <1455@ccnysci.UUCP>, alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes...
[....]
>Good question. There are two answers. The first can be found in a flame/article
>I posted about two-three weeks ago. To summarize, it said that while Apple's
>technical people are generally very good to great, Apple marketing (and thus
>Apple as a whole) is run by idiots. Rarely has a corporation coasted so long
>on its past achievements (except, hmm, IBM in the mid-80's). Would you believe
>that things like (for example) HyperCard updates and host adaptor cards
>have sat around for months because Apple Marketing didn't know what the hell
>to do with them? (Or maybe they didn't understand what they were. How do you
>explain MacAPPC to idiots?)
[...]
>There is one bright spot. I heard recently that Apple is delaying the "Four-
>Square" machine past the original intro date. The reason, I hear, is that
>Motorola is suddenly giving them very encouraging news about high-speed
>parts in quantity. If this is true, things will suddenly be looking a lot
>better. So we may get a 33 MHz '030 in October, instead of a 25 MHz '030 in
>August.

I believe you'll be seeing more of the same: the market has changed and Apple
is adapting, although I think it's taking a while.  Between Next, Sun and Dec,
Apple has to offer more bang for the buck, and they will [e.g. the delayed
introduction fo the "Four-Square"].  I believe they may be putting an '030 in
their Laptop, and the Laptop itself introduces some new screen technology.  So
I think Apple's "coasting" days are over.  I hope so.

Robert
------

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (03/29/89)

In article <153@cs.columbia.edu> dr@cs.columbia.edu (David Robinowitz) writes:
>From what I understand of caches, one could build a static-RAM cache
>between the MC68030 and the main memory (slow DRAMS) and get rid of
>some wait states/utilize a faster u-processor.

This is exactly what Compaq and other high-end PC clone makers are doing.
Running a 25Mhz 386 Compaq is really a pleasure (or as much of a pleasure
as running a PC can be) compared to a Mac II, even with a fast hard disk.
Of course, this is comparing number-crunching on both machines; things
like PageMaker are still agony even on a 386 Compaq compared to the Mac.

>It seems Apple is not too concerned w/speedup.

This has always been true.  They'll be coming out with a faster 030 box
with built-in Ethernet sometime soon, or so the rumor goes.  Makes sense
from a business point of view -- why give away 25 Mhz technology for
the price of a 16 Mhz box?

And before anyone gripes about what a stupid, short-sighted and selfish
policy that is, give the folks at Compaq a call and ask how they can
dare offer an underpowered 286 machine (or several such machines; the
286 is still very much their bread and butter) when 33 Mhz 386
technology is available.  And how dare they charge so much more for
their 386 models?

Once again, with Macintoshes as with PCs, you get what you pay for.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (03/29/89)

In article <430095@hpcea.CE.HP.COM> twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) writes:
>Anyone know why Apple is bothering with 16Meg 68030s?????????
>The result is essentually a MacII with a cheaper upgrade path. All the timing
>comparisons I have seen show Mac SE/30 / IIx / IIcx to be in the same speed
>league as the Mac II.

>Why in the world didn't the SE/30 & IIcx come out with 33Mhz 68030s??????
>What about a second processor to handle the screen?? Third party
>manufacturers seem to be able to build 33Mhz 68030 accellerator boards that
>work with the newer Macs using Mac software. Why does Apple's R&D hesitate
>where companies with comparitively pico R&D budgets can do it?????
>Just wondering,
TeriAnn

One Reason I can think of is a design at 33mhz without a fair amount of
caching which would in itself incease the cost somewhat, would require
faster RAM, probably on the order of at least 80ns or faster, which
are still low volume, and HIGH cost chips, so if you think that the II
series is spendy now, you have not seen anything if you start plugging
in 4-8 megs of high speed ram....The price of the system would soar...

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-Sysop FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David L. Williams) (03/30/89)

I think I agree with Alexis that Apple's R & D staff is top notch and that
they have been infected with marketing bozos from hell. I keep reading articles
talking about truly awesome technology sitting inside Apple R & D that NEVER
sees the light of day because Apple Marketing does not understand what to do
with it.

Seems like too many bozos have been hired of late who do not CARE about the
products their company makes--to them its just a job.  Perhaps Apple R & D
can succeed in spite of this. I think Apple took a major hit when they lost
Steve Jobs, warts and all HE had the FIRE to occasionally take great ideas
and turn them into real products you and I could actually purchase.

Perhaps he'll triumph again with the NeXT stuff. I hope somebody does. I
shudder to think of the fate of personal computing in the hands of MicroSoft
[The O/S from hell] and the marketing arm of Apple.

I might add that I got email from some R&D types at Apple regarding my earlier
jab in that direction, they have a good sense of humor and made it clear that
not everyone has a zillion monitors or maxed out IIx's sitting on their desks.

David

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (03/31/89)

in article <1455@ccnysci.UUCP>, alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) says:

> Enough frothing about the mouth. The other answer only applies to the CPUs,
> but it does excuse Apple for the slow processor speeds (though not anything
> else). It turns out that Motorola is having a bitch of a time getting the
> '20 and '30 out in quantity at high speeds. It appears that they can't
> supply enough to Apple to meet the demand.

I think there's a simple explanation.  The Apple Marketroids wanted an '030
machine, because the "68030" is hot, and "68020" is luke warm.  And they
wanted such a machine last fall.  So Apple took an existing Mac II, dropped
an '030 in it, and <poof!>.  The IIx and IIcx really aren't designed to be
68030 machines; they're already running main memory at about 1/2 the speed
their 15.8MHz 68030 could actually use, a much faster processor in the same
system might not be considered "worth it" to Apple.  But IIx and IIcx solved
the immediate need for a 68030 machine, and could let them come out with a
real one, say at maybe 25MHz or 33MHz, in the future, including external
cache or main memory that's at least reasonably matched to the speed of
the processor.  And they get to charge much more for such a machine, and/or
lower the costs of the current line, even if the actualy cost of such a
machine isn't all that much more.

> Now Motorola can barely keep up with Intel- yes, they're shipping a 33MHz
>'030, but in what quantity? And what will it be like in a year, with 40 MHz
>'486s? Will the '040 be able to keep up? Motorola says so, but they can't
>even get the 030 out in quantity!

It doesn't look like anyone else is having supply problems with Motorola.  The
only problem I've run into is that 25MHz 68881s don't yield too well, but you
can get all the 25MHz 68882s you like if you're willing to spend a little bit
more (makes me wonder about how much trouble they've gone to making 25MHz
68881s yield better).  Considering that a full speed '030 is considerably
faster than a full speed '386, and that both Moto and Intel are claiming
around 2x improvements for their respective new chips, I claim the gap, if
there is one, is widening (Moto actually claimed at least 2x increase for
the '040 integer unit, about 10x-20x increase in the floating point unit
over an '030+'882 system).

> The point is not that I want Macs to be superior to IBMs in raw speed. I do.
> And they're not, thanks to lazyness on Apple's part. The point IS that the
> architecture we're bound to may, in the end, be a disaster for us. Just two
> short years ago, things looked very different.

You might wonder if part of the problem isn't laziness on Apple's part.  Look
at IBM these days.  They've felt the pressure of cloners like Compaq and
HP, and they're actually starting to build respectable machines (respectable
in their class; I personally don't like '386 systems).  EVERY high end '386
machine these days has a decent sized external static cache, most support a
high speed Weitek floating point unit as well as the Intel FPU.  The reason
for this improvement in the hardware is direct competition.  No one makes
Mac clones, so Apple doesn't have any primary competition like the cloners
do, only secondary competition with other computer vendors, none of whom are
selling the same thing Apple's selling.  As long as Apple believes you'd
rather have a Mac than a PClone, they don't have to keep up with the
technology to the same degree that cloners will.  Considering how bad the
PClone world is with software these days, Apple may be able to take their
time.

Macs have never really been known as high speed systems, they've just
been winning on all kinds of software and user issues.  IBM used to think
it was pretty much secure just by being IBM; these days they're main
efforts are in high speed and new software.

> (BTW, watch for the announcement on the '040 later this week. I hear they
> say they'll have quantity 25MHz parts late this year, turning in about
> **10 MIPS**. We'll see...)

Last figure I was 12.5 MIPS, 2-3.5 MFLOPs.  Tasty.

--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy