[comp.sys.mac] GIF from Mac to II

shankar@bedrock.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Son of Knuth) (03/27/89)

How do you convert Mac GIF pictures to Apple II GIF pictures?
One would expect the process to be trivial, but I have some Mac II
GIF pictures which I transferred to an Apple IIGS using Apple File
Exchange, and the pictures are not recognized by the GS.
Is there a trick involved?

---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

cs4n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles Humphrey Silvers) (03/27/89)

GIF is GIF is GIF.... the format is computer independent. If the GS won't
recognize
the pictures, then either you are transferring them wrong or the pictures have
been
corrupted somehow.

Sorry I can't be of any more help than that...

-Chuck Silvers
cs4n+@anddrew.cmu.edu

labc-3dc@web-3f.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (03/27/89)

In article <19388@srcsip.UUCP> shankar@bedrock.UUCP (Son of Knuth) writes:
>How do you convert Mac GIF pictures to Apple II GIF pictures?
[munch...]
>              the pictures are not recognized by the GS.
>Is there a trick involved?

My roommate downloaded some GIFs from compuserve, and used a null modem
cable to transfer them from his Toshiba laptop to my //gs and the Macintosh
of the guy across the hall... no problems anywhere.

Try bloading the first few bytes of the file ("BLOAD FOO.GIF, A$2000, L$10")
and see if it has a GIF header (should be something like "GIF87a").  If not,
scan ahead in the file (bload the first few thousand bytes) and see if you
can find this header; it may be that you have some garbage at the start
of the file.

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

-Rich-@cup.portal.com (Richard Sherman Payne) (03/28/89)

I have had problems viewing GIF files transferred with (I think) Red Ryder in
the past. The problem is a 128 byte header file that some MAC software
appends to the beginning of the GIF file, ignororing COMPUSERVE's
specifications, and making a nonstandard GIF. It can be quite a problem
stripping those first 128 bytes. First type the file, and compare it to a
GIF file that you can view. If the GIF87a is well into the file, you may
have to remove the header. I may write a BASIC program to do that, it might
be slow, but simple, and easy to distribute. If you cannot remove the
header, let me know, and I will write the program.

						Rich

					-Rich-@cup.portal.com

malczews@nunki.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) (03/28/89)

In article <IY=PCuy00Xc7E3Gkds@andrew.cmu.edu> cs4n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles Humphrey Silvers) writes:
>GIF is GIF is GIF.... the format is computer independent. If the GS won't
>recognize
>the pictures, then either you are transferring them wrong or the pictures have
>been
>corrupted somehow.
>
>Sorry I can't be of any more help than that...
>
>-Chuck Silvers
>cs4n+@anddrew.cmu.edu

If "GIF is GIF is GIF", why are there available so many stripper types of
programs for all the other PCs that apparently strip some type of special
header for the Mac GIF variant so they may be viewed on those PCs?

(I also have similar GIF viewing problems, and I suspect it has to do with
the fact that the other PCs do not have this special header, thereby causing
the Mac to choke on GIFs produced on them.)

  -- Frank Malczewski

labc-3dc@e260-3f.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (03/28/89)

In article <3253@nunki.usc.edu> malczews@nunki.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) writes:
>If "GIF is GIF is GIF", why are there available so many stripper types of
>programs for all the other PCs that apparently strip some type of special
>header for the Mac GIF variant so they may be viewed on those PCs?

Some things need to be clarified here: where were the pictures produced
(which program output them as GIF), and how are they being transferred.

There are no "GIF variants"; that's like saying "SCSI variant" (oops, maybe
not).  Anyway, it's possible that some special header is being added; I'd
guess 128 bytes.  Try BLOADing a picture at about $2000 and see if the
GIF87a header shows up at about $2080...

GIF *is* GIF *is* GIF; while there might be some additional headers/footers,
any change to the format of the stored image would render it non-GIFian.

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden
labc-3dc@widow.berkeley.edu
Just send the darn letter and let the computer figure it out.

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (03/28/89)

GIF is GIF; however, a lot of people transfer the GIF file from the Mac using
what is referred to as MacBinary format.  This results in a concatenation of
three parts -- a header (finder information), the data fork, and the resource
fork.  If the file is transferred in this manner to a non-Mac system or one
that is not using MacBinary, then the header needs to be stripped.

billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (03/29/89)

In article <3253@nunki.usc.edu> malczews@nunki.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) writes:
>In article <IY=PCuy00Xc7E3Gkds@andrew.cmu.edu> cs4n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles Humphrey Silvers) writes:
>>GIF is GIF is GIF.... the format is computer independent. If the GS won't
>>recognize
>>the pictures, then either you are transferring them wrong or the pictures have
>>been
>>corrupted somehow.
>>
>>Sorry I can't be of any more help than that...
>>
>>-Chuck Silvers
>>cs4n+@anddrew.cmu.edu
>

>If "GIF is GIF is GIF", why are there available so many stripper types of
>programs for all the other PCs that apparently strip some type of special
>header for the Mac GIF variant so they may be viewed on those PCs?
>
>(I also have similar GIF viewing problems, and I suspect it has to do with
>the fact that the other PCs do not have this special header, thereby causing
>the Mac to choke on GIFs produced on them.)
>
>  -- Frank Malczewski

Those strippers take off the 128-byte MacBinary header.  Mac GIFs do not have
any extra info, but when uploaded to a bulletin board, they are often
mistakenly uploaded in MacBinary format.  They should be uploaded in binary
format.
-Steve Bollinger

LaserMan@cup.portal.com (Bob LaserMan Murrow) (03/30/89)

The Mac handles the original GIF format w/o problem. The real problem occures
when a Mac user saves the file in MacBinary format rather than TEXT. The other
problem occures when a Mac users uploads a text file GIF using MacBinary and
the modem program tags on the header. Hence the programs like StipGIG to tear
this 128 byte header off. On my home BBS which has a massive GIF collection I
strip the files as I find them so they are useable by anyone. I have not been
able to educate my users to the technical details of this as many Mac users
only run the machine and really are not interested in file formats.
Bob Murrow
SYSOP PhoenixII and IIa in Cupertino
All Mac BBS, well almost...320 megs of GIF and other format files

johng@iscuva.ISCS.COM (John Gardner) (03/31/89)

In article <16331@cup.portal.com> -Rich-@cup.portal.com (Richard Sherman Payne) writes:

>I have had problems viewing GIF files transferred with (I think) Red Ryder in
>the past. The problem is a 128 byte header file that some MAC software
>appends to the beginning of the GIF file, ignororing COMPUSERVE's

You may be seeing the 128 byte MacBinary header that Red Ryder appended to the
file. It has nothing to do with the GIF protocol at all. If you downloaded the
file then Red Ryder would strip the MacBinary header and all would look well.

You need to send the image of the file if your destination machine is unable
to strip MacBinary. Send the file in Xmodem text mode which should just send
the Macintosh's data fork without manipulation. I'm not extremely familiar
with Red Ryder's Xmodem upload facility but it should have that kind of
functionality.

John Gardner
{backbone}!uunet!iscuva!johng