[comp.sys.mac] Shinny new IIcx that sings!

t-jacobs@wasatch.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) (03/25/89)

Well my Cobra showed up. I had a unique experience with it while trying to
put it together and crank it up. After pluggin all the pieces together and
finally pressing the ignition key, instead of getting the nice chime sound
and a smiling mac, I got this little musical tune (a whole little verse of
notes in very nice sounding tone) and no screen at all! Not even a frowning
mac. It turned out that one of the Ram simms I had added wasn't snaped in all
the way. I guess it has it own way of saying "hey, somethings wrong!"

--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

mnkonar@gorby.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (03/25/89)

In article <1424@wasatch.UUCP> t-jacobs@wasatch.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) writes:

>Well my Cobra showed up. I had a unique experience with it while trying to
>put it together and crank it up. After pluggin all the pieces together and
>finally pressing the ignition key, instead of getting the nice chime sound
>and a smiling mac, I got this little musical tune (a whole little verse of
>notes in very nice sounding tone) and no screen at all! Not even a frowning
>mac. It turned out that one of the Ram simms I had added wasn't snaped in all
>the way. I guess it has it own way of saying "hey, somethings wrong!"

The Mac II does this also.  It follows that the Mac IIx and IIcx should too,
probably the SE/30 as well.  I think its pretty neat but perplexing if you
don't know what's going on.  Apple really should distribute a program that
demonstartes the different "error" tunes so that a user knows that the tunes
mean something's wrong and doesn't think their Mac is just unusually happy to
see tham that day.

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar        Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN
mnkonar@SRC.honeywell.com (internet) {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!mnkonar(UUCP)

jeff@visix.UUCP (Jeff Barr) (03/26/89)

In article <1424@wasatch.UUCP>, t-jacobs@wasatch.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) writes:

> Well my Cobra showed up. I had a unique experience with it while trying to
> put it together and crank it up. After pluggin all the pieces together and
> finally pressing the ignition key, instead of getting the nice chime sound
> and a smiling mac, I got this little musical tune (a whole little verse of
							     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> notes in very nice sounding tone) and no screen at all! Not even a frowning
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> mac. It turned out that one of the Ram simms I had added wasn't snaped in all
> the way. I guess it has it own way of saying "hey, somethings wrong!"

The Mac II did this for a bad memory configuration.  Too bad it didn't play
"Taps" -- If you have never turned one on normally, you won't know that this
little jingle means "you memory is screwed up".

							Jeff
> --
> Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

  /\       Jeff Barr   \    / Visix Software, Inc.  /\  800-832-8668 \    /
 /  \  uunet!visix!jeff \  /   1525 Wilson Blvd.   /  \ 703-841-5858  \  /
/    \                   \/   Arlington, VA 22209 /    \               \/
"A MIMD is a terrible thing to waste."

cbcscavc@csun.edu (03/26/89)

+>
+
+The Mac II does this also.  It follows that the Mac IIx and IIcx should too,
+probably the SE/30 as well.  I think its pretty neat but perplexing if you
+don't know what's going on.  Apple really should distribute a program that
+demonstartes the different "error" tunes so that a user knows that the tunes
+mean something's wrong and doesn't think their Mac is just unusually happy to
+see tham that day.
+

I have just such a program called "diagnostic sound sampler".
It does not have any credits or an "about" box, so I don't know who
wrote it or what its status (I think its freeware).  If there is enough
interest, I will forward it to the moderator of comp.binaries.mac.

Aviram Carmi ...{uunet,ihnp4,sdcrdcf,hplabs,psivax,ttidca}!csun!mx!cbcscavc
	     or   cbcscavc@mx.csun.edu

billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (03/27/89)

In article <19331@srcsip.UUCP> mnkonar@gorby.UUCP (Murat N. Konar) writes:
>In article <1424@wasatch.UUCP> t-jacobs@wasatch.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) writes:
>>
>>Well my Cobra showed up. I had a unique experience with it while trying to
>>put it together and crank it up. After pluggin all the pieces together and
>>finally pressing the ignition key, instead of getting the nice chime sound
>>and a smiling mac, I got this little musical tune (a whole little verse of
>>notes in very nice sounding tone) and no screen at all! Not even a frowning
>>mac. It turned out that one of the Ram simms I had added wasn't snaped in all
>>the way. I guess it has it own way of saying "hey, somethings wrong!"
>
>The Mac II does this also.  It follows that the Mac IIx and IIcx should too,
>probably the SE/30 as well.  I think its pretty neat but perplexing if you
>don't know what's going on.  Apple really should distribute a program that
>demonstartes the different "error" tunes so that a user knows that the tunes
>mean something's wrong and doesn't think their Mac is just unusually happy to
>see tham that day.

I don't think the SE/30 does it.  It is there so you can check out a machine
without having to put a video card in.  Since the SE/30 has a built in
monitor, I don't think they need that feature.  Apple DOES produce a program
which plays the noises and tells what they do.  I can mail it to anyone who
wants it.

+----------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
| Steve Bollinger      | Internet: billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu             |
| 4297 Sulgrave Dr.    +------+---------------------------------------------+
| Swartz Creek, Mi. 48473     | "My employer doesn't take my opinion any    |
+-----------------------------+  more seriously than you do."               |
| "You remember the IIe, it   +---------------------------------------------+
| was the machine Apple made before they decided people didn't need         |
| machines with big screens, color, or slots."                              |
|                                 - Harry Anderson (from NBC's Night Court) |

macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) (03/29/89)

>>                           instead of getting the nice chime sound
>>and a smiling mac, I got this little musical tune (a whole little verse of
>>notes in very nice sounding tone) and no screen at all! Not even a frowning
>>mac. It turned out that one of the Ram simms I had added wasn't snaped in all
>>the way. I guess it has it own way of saying "hey, somethings wrong!"
>
>The Mac II does this also.  It follows that the Mac IIx and IIcx should too,
>probably the SE/30 as well.  I think its pretty neat but perplexing if you
>don't know what's going on.  Apple really should distribute a program that
>demonstartes the different "error" tunes so that a user knows that the tunes
>mean something's wrong and doesn't think their Mac is just unusually happy to
>see tham that day.

We have such a program from apple. it's actually made for dealers and
tech reps. Don't know if it's available outside the rep world. Ask
macdts.

-- Danny

| Mail    :  Danny Schwendener, ETH Macintosh Support                   |
|            Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, CH-8092 Zuerich     |
| Bitnet  :  macman@czheth5a      UUCP   :   {cernvax,mcvax}ethz!macman |
| Internet:  macman@ifi.ethz.ch   Voice  :   yodel three times          |

pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) (03/29/89)

Jeff, I've found that the SE/30 sings for you also.  For example, hit the
reset switch while in the power-up sequence--get the sad Mac and hear a tune.

Question for EVERYONE in general--
  I now have an SE/30 with the internal 40 meg drive (which, btw, is FAST).
The internal is set a SCSI 0, and is my startup drive.  I have an external
Mirror 40 meg (SCSI 4) and 40 meg tape drive (SCSI 1).  I am finding that when
I have the external drive/tape plugged in but NOT powered on, I cannot boot
the SE/30.  At all.  Just a grey screen--not even a flashin disk.  This sounds
reminiscent of the older Pluses...or do I just have a termination problem?

Note that the tape drive is hard-coded at SCSI 1, so I can't change addressing
on it, if that's an issue.

.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!pj |  "Ah!  I see you have the  |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!pj@nosc.mil           |   machine that goes        |
| INET: pj@pnet51.cts.com                        |   'BING!'"                 |

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (03/29/89)

In article <19331@srcsip.UUCP> mnkonar@gorby.UUCP (Murat N. Konar) writes:

>>Well my Cobra showed up. I had a unique experience with it while trying to
>>put it together and crank it up. After pluggin all the pieces together and
>>finally pressing the ignition key, instead of getting the nice chime sound
>>and a smiling mac, I got this little musical tune (a whole little verse of
>>notes in very nice sounding tone) and no screen at all! Not even a frowning
>>mac. It turned out that one of the Ram simms I had added wasn't snaped in all
>>the way. I guess it has it own way of saying "hey, somethings wrong!"

>The Mac II does this also.  It follows that the Mac IIx and IIcx should too,
>probably the SE/30 as well.  I think its pretty neat but perplexing if you
>don't know what's going on.  Apple really should distribute a program that
>demonstartes the different "error" tunes so that a user knows that the tunes
>mean something's wrong and doesn't think their Mac is just unusually happy to
>see tham that day.

There is such a program, there are about 5 different musical combos that
the Mac II and up can play indicating the failure of some power up test.
I do not know why its not generally available, though I have seen it and
I know that dealer techs I'm pretty sure have this along with some other
diagnostic software...

--------

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-Sysop FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

american@pnet51.cts.com (Jeff Iverson) (03/31/89)

Paul, with that 'Sad Mac' invocation sequence, does it by any chance play a
funeral dirge, or perhaps, taps?

Sorry I can't help you with your boot problems, but I'm sure someone will
help.

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!american
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!american@nosc.mil
INET: american@pnet51.cts.com

pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) (03/31/89)

Actually, Jeff, the tune is rather "Phantom of the Opera"-ish.  Deep, resonany
(resonant..argh) bass chord starts it off, and then kind of a fevered
crescendo builds through the central stanza, and then a deep, thoughtful drop
into lower scales.

Of course, it's only 6 notes long, so that is all open to interpretation :-)